PM told media not to sensationalize bomb attacks

webfact

Jonathan Head on the BBC is saying the BIB are not speculating and are downplaying any suggestion of international terrorism or links to the problems in the south.

Good on the BIB but they don't have to worry about speculation as the Boss and a DPM are doing that for them.

I wonder if Prawit is ever so slightly worried since this falls within his purview and he won't want to be linked with any sort of failure.

The word   '  responsibility  '   doesn't really come into it as it's not applicable here.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

23 minutes ago, MaxLee said:

In other words, Mr. You know-who must know more than the public are being fed upon,.....

Nope. Everything that could be bad for tourism disappears under the carpet, including terrorism, balcony accidents, drug overdoses and other stuff. Thailand is such a safe place for quality tourists. 

31 minutes ago, Hawk said:

History and economics.

So, Historically there have been bombs going off on or around the Queens birthday in tourist areas over the past x amount of years?

I'd like to see some facts that would support your claim, if there has been attacks on this day, depending on the lcations, there's a pattern to look into. It would be telling the authorites to look Southwards instead of towards the North East would you not agree?

2 hours ago, harada said:

Perhaps if they were to snap out of retribution mode and onto reconciliation things just might take a turn for the better.

Hardly likely given that they have a "take no prisoners" approach to things. They would not ever let the people who tore up their ballots go. What a heinous crime. They have become the flavor of the month to be flogged and hung out for all and sundry to see.  

Edited by elgordo38

13 minutes ago, Holy Cinema said:

So, Historically there have been bombs going off on or around the Queens birthday in tourist areas over the past x amount of years?

I'd like to see some facts that would support your claim, if there has been attacks on this day, depending on the lcations, there's a pattern to look into. It would be telling the authorites to look Southwards instead of towards the North East would you not agree?

I was not referring to bombs at all, you are simply twisting my words, in "based on what" I was talking about politics and economics nothing else. And as you well know, bombs have not been going off on previous Queen's birthdays so why even suggest it.

Edited by Hawk

4 minutes ago, Hawk said:

I was not referring to bombs at all, you are simply twisting my words, in "based on what" I was talking about politics and economics nothing else. And as you well know, bombs have not been going off on previous Queen's birthdays so why even suggest it.

because that's what you did right here. You're inferring that the bombings are related.

The timing is about the lady whose birthday it is today and about her support for Prayut. Economically tourism is one of Thailand's last stands, destroy that and Prayut's power will crumble and then the discontent will mount.

Edited by Holy Cinema

16 minutes ago, Hawk said:

My wife was talking about a bomb on mothers day 2015. Saying it has happend on mothers day before.

12 minutes ago, Holy Cinema said:

because that's what you did right here. You're inferring that the bombings are related.

Yes, but only to today's events as we are talking about what happened today. I wrote the word today didn't I?

Just now, Hawk said:

Yes, but only to today's events as we are talking about what happened today. I wrote the word today didn't I?

Nice try, you clearly wrote"the timing is about the lady whose birthday it is today, and her support for Prayuth"

The timing is about the lady, not the occasion, the lady is what you've inferred, followed up with and her support for Prayuth.

You're clearly making a connection between 2 out of the 3, but are making it about the occasion ;)

3 hours ago, djjamie said:

Wise words. At least he didn't shirk his responsibilities and hide up north when things heated up and tell them this from his Facebook page.

The timing is certainly an indication that the violent minority being bitter about record tourist numbers as indicated by offical 3rd party entity figures is at work again to main, kill and create fear amongst their own people. 

Who can really blame the majority for voting for this charter after witnessing what this violent group is willing to do. If they had the vote again it would no doubt be a lot higher result for the charter.

Well done Prayut for standing up and speaking to the people.

I think you need to look a bit beyond the results of the actual referendum jamie. Consider what went on in the months and weeks leading up to it? The low level,constant and insidious detentions, intimidation and coerced signing of vaguely worded documents to silence those who spoke out about the charter and the direction of the country; civilians being tried in military courts, the press constantly under attack by the government with threats to remove editors who didn't tow the proverbial line. 

Certainly it can be well argued that this government has created a climate of fear among its own people, the same climate of fear that the red shirts sought to impose on their opponents, just achieved in a different way. Neither is acceptable. Against  a back drop where people voices have been muzzled and the views of their leaders, be it a politician, academic or village headmen have be deliberately and systematically dismissed and silenced, there are very few options left to demonstrate their anger and dis-satisfaction. Only two days ago the deputy PM stated that political gatherings will be allowed "just before elections and no sooner". Is that fair or is the PM and government just another version of PTP/TRT - using favorable laws and government apparatus to stifle the opposition until it is too late, before sweeping to victory? Fair, open, honest, just? You decide. I thought Prayut was better than that and not afraid to tackle his opponents on a level playing field. 

I cannot condone these actions in any sense; terrorism, murder and maiming are abhorrent, but the government  has to let its people speak otherwise if this is politically motivated, as the PM suggests,elements of the people may feel they have no other choice to make their voice heard than by committing these atrocities.    

A sad day for all. 

7 minutes ago, Holy Cinema said:

Nice try, you clearly wrote"the timing is about the lady whose birthday it is today, and her support for Prayuth"

The timing is about the lady, not the occasion, the lady is what you've inferred, followed up with and her support for Prayuth.

You're clearly making a connection between 2 out of the 3, but are making it about the occasion ;)

So?

How can you not call the amount of devices that went off all over the South causing death and injury an act of Terrorism.

How can you not class this also, as a sensational series of coordinated attacks?

How can you downplay this when there's fatalities and serious injuries?

Anywhere else in the world where such coordination took place, the press would be treating it the same, but here, it's Thainess, and very disingenuous to the dead and injured by saying this isn't an act of terror.

3 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

urged the media not to sensationalize the spate of bomb attacks

The Sun would never do that  :whistling:    https://www.thesun.co.uk/

Unless the Sun has staged the photos it seems a far more in depth report than the offerings on here with more information about Phuket than available in the filtered content we access.

Funny how photos of smiling policemen pointing at the heinous criminal mastermind apprehended ,guilty of opening a bar a bit late and supplying booze and willing  girls to happy punters............so rapidly all over the Thai media.?

27 minutes ago, Bluespunk said:

Exactly how do you not sensationalise 8 bomb attacks across a series of tourist destinations in 24 hours on the eve of a major holiday?

It's the same rational where one of your national airlines crash lands and the immediate reaction is to paint over the logo.

3 hours ago, Holy Cinema said:

not really, this is the man who kept spouting off about the 15 pillars of democracy and the fact the PTP didn't use them, but fails to see the Junta knocked these pillars down and made a park out of them!! :D

Yes.  condolences to the families. Prayuth needs to understand though, you reap what you sow. If you take over a country with military, then stifle any democratic dissent/free speech; this should sadly not come as a surprise.

Would a headline such as "Thailand under siege" constitute sensationalism?  Considering that a siege is an operation whereby the target is surrounded and considering this clearly has not been the case in this instance I can only suppose that it does.

'He also urged Thai people to stay calm, not to be over panic and to strive to become a good host for foreign tourists.'

Lol is literally everything about tourist dollars in this place

lZKYgR2.png

6 hours ago, djjamie said:

Wise words. At least he didn't shirk his responsibilities and hide up north when things heated up and tell them this from his Facebook page.

The timing is certainly an indication that the violent minority being bitter about record tourist numbers as indicated by offical 3rd party entity figures is at work again to main, kill and create fear amongst their own people. 

Who can really blame the majority for voting for this charter after witnessing what this violent group is willing to do. If they had the vote again it would no doubt be a lot higher result for the charter.

Well done Prayut for standing up and speaking to the people.

Wise words indeed 

2 hours ago, Bluespunk said:

Exactly how do you not sensationalise 8 bomb attacks across a series of tourist destinations in 24 hours on the eve of a major holiday?

The stable door can be shut now, the horse has well and truly bolted and is international news