British teenager dies swimming off the coast of Koh Chang

webfact

British teenager dies swimming off the coast of Thailand

By  Jane Mathews

KOH CHANG: -- A19-year-old British girl has drowned while swimming in Thailand. The teenager, who is thought to be a university student, has not yet been identified.

She died while swimming off the coast of Ko Chang, the second largest Thai island after Phuket. A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are supporting the family of a British National who sadly died in Thailand on 14 August."

A Foreign Office spokesman said: "We are supporting the family of a British National who sadly died in Thailand on 14 August."

Full story: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/08/14/british-teenager-dies-swimming-off-the-coast-of-thailand/

-- The Telegraph 2016-08-15

British teenager aged 19 drowns off coast of luxurious Thai island while on holiday

BY ANTHONY BOND

The girl - thought to be a university student - drowned while swimming off the island of Ko Chang

KOH CHANG: -- A 19-year-old British girl has drowned off the coast of Thailand today, it has emerged.

The girl - thought to be a university student - drowned while swimming off the island of Ko Chang.

The identity of the girl has not yet been released. The Foreign Office has confirmed it is supporting the girl's family.

Full story: http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/british-teenager-aged-19-drowns-8629216

-- Mirror 2016-08-15

The rip currents are pretty strong right now on east coast of gulf.  Get around rocky formations and they're worse.  An experienced surf swimmer can quickly identify it when entering the water.  As is evidenced by these 2 drownings, many can't detect them or they don't understand the sheer power of them.  

It would be beneficial for hotels/resorts/guesthouses to print bills in English and other languages that address the issue of rip tides, rough seas, etc.  Even a waiver of responsibility will get a reader's attention.  

Holidays ending tragically.  Very sad.  

1 minute ago, AlphMichaels said:

The rip currents are pretty strong right now on east coast of gulf.  Get around rocky formations and they're worse.  An experienced surf swimmer can quickly identify it when entering the water.  As is evidenced by these 2 drownings, many can't detect them or they don't understand the sheer power of them.  

It would be beneficial for hotels/resorts/guesthouses to print bills in English and other languages that address the issue of rip tides, rough seas, etc.  Even a waiver of responsibility will get a reader's attention.  

My experience with a strong rip tide was actually Chaweng Beach with sand for a kilometer in either direction. 

4 minutes ago, SOTIRIOS said:

...trillions in revenue...and unpatrolled beaches....

...some would call this criminal....

That would require taxation to fund municipal Life Guards or a private force funded by the hotels. 

I have seen Life Guards on duty at both Patong and Chaweng and farang tourists ignoring their whistles and voice commands frequently at both locations during rough water. 

As I understand it, these life guards get paid a very meager wage.

23 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

That would require taxation to fund municipal Life Guards or a private force funded by the hotels. 

I have seen Life Guards on duty at both Patong and Chaweng and farang tourists ignoring their whistles and voice commands frequently at both locations during rough water. 

As I understand it, these life guards get paid a very meager wage.

well, don't you think that is Sotirios' point--millions in revenue and no public safeguards being funded by it. Whether or not some yayhoos ignore the warnings is a separate issue.

Condolences to her family. Unfortunately this time of the year the ocean currents are bad around Ko Chang. Yes clear sign postings in English could help to remind swimmers of DANGERS lurking in these beautiful waters.

Always thought and taught that into a wavy sea, you can wade until waist deep.
And even then it can be a challenge to get out if one is on the wrong spot at the wrong time.

Australians are raised constantly told of the dangers of the ocean, strong swimmers know how to deal with it but many, tourists especially, die every year. Australia has a huge volunteer lifesaver force, but drownings still occur, albeit usually on remoter beaches.

I've pulled 3 people out of the ocean back home during my life. Drowning is always tragic but that is the nature of the sea, perhaps better signage could help a little.

14 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

You obviously misunderstood me and have now continued to do so only so you can be argumentative.

Sartorios is an intelligent poster and can speak for himself. He does not need you trying to pick fights off his posts.

Now run along.

I have no intent to run along, especially when directed to do so by you. 

I've simply answered your question and previously responded to what I felt was you adding the obvious.

You are the one to make false statements, refuse to answer direct questions, and misspell Sotirios.  

3 hours ago, AlphMichaels said:

Yeah l only knew the kind of power under currents tides produced in the sea off the south coast of England sea fishing.

Your spot on l didn't even know about rip tides until l experienced one in Pattaya on a beach far right along from Jomtien beach, no warning signs,  l did the wrong thing apparently and fought against it so it couldn't of been that strong because l beat it ;  Phew.

4 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

My experience with a strong rip tide was actually Chaweng Beach with sand for a kilometer in either direction. 

There are gutters in that sand and that is where the rip occurs.A surfer will use these rips to get out the back easily and you can see them from the shore.

4 hours ago, sabaii69 said:

Now, looking back to last week in Koh Chang, I feel lucky to not be able to go in the water at Bailan Beach. Rocks and waves were pounding them. No swimmers here!

I visit Koh Chang during low season many many times

Sometimes weather is awesome but other times, as you say, very choppy and rough waves so I just don't go in. They do put these red flags on the beach advising people to not go into the sea IIRC

How far out do you need to be to get affected by riptides and stuff?

34 minutes ago, Razzler1973 said:

I visit Koh Chang during low season many many times

Sometimes weather is awesome but other times, as you say, very choppy and rough waves so I just don't go in. They do put these red flags on the beach advising people to not go into the sea IIRC

How far out do you need to be to get affected by riptides and stuff?

Common rips are water flowing from the beach outward.  They are of variable strength and width. 

Lots of vids and aerial photos on Google, illustrating how rips form and move.  Here's an good one, doesn't look too bad but the purple dye in the water demonstrates the water's flow away from the beach.   

purple_rip.jpg

3 hours ago, american12bthai said:

when my friend died from drowning on a thai island. i discovered that the locals would throw thier mistakes out to sea to make it look like they drowned.   when they threw my friend into the sea, he wasnt dead yet. 

What on earth is this post all about?

2 hours ago, louse1953 said:

There are gutters in that sand and that is where the rip occurs.A surfer will use these rips to get out the back easily and you can see them from the shore.

Louse,

"Gutters" is the perfect description but what was interesting is that was the same beach I had swam and entered/exited for a month and never had a "rip" but then one day was completely different.

Storms had battered the beach with high tides and re-designed the sand and also the "gutter" as you say. 

I have experienced mild rips in my life but that one was strong and it was after I had just finished a 1-km swim up and back so I was tired. I always carry a whistle with me and almost had to use it that day.