British Mum in Coma After 'Something She Ate in Pattaya'

webfact

British Mum in Coma After 'Something She Ate in Pattaya'

Story by Albert Jack

pat33.jpg

Jen Clayton collapsed in Pattaya last week.

PATTAYA: -- Mrs Jen Clayton and her husband Darren were spending two-weeks in Pattaya and had planned a further week in Bangkok after a traumatic year following the death of their son, Alan Kalandra, of an epileptic fit aged only thirty-one.

The pair had promised each other to ‘live life to the full’ after coping with the tragedy and were staying in a luxury Pattaya hotel when, on Sunday August 7, Mrs Clayton began complaining of a sore throat.

She was prescribed antibiotics for what was thought to be tonsilitis but the following morning her condition had deteriorated.

An ambulance was called and rushed her to Pattaya Memorial Hospital where the fifty-four-year-old collapsed, suffered two seizures and her heart stopped, starving her brain of oxygen for eleven minutes.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/230215/british-mum-coma-something-ate-pattaya/

pattaya-one_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Pattaya One 2016-08-15

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, PattayaBoy said:

Very strange case, if food was bad, means others wopuld get sick too, most likely, guess she is alergic to something.

Poison 

Funnily enough, I'm allergic to Pattaya ..... 

1 hour ago, tomwct said:

Why would anyone choose Pattaya for a holiday? Not me! I hope she recovers!

You would need to ask the millions of people who visit every year for the answer to that question.

I personally can't stand Phuket, but generally don't mention that, and let other people make their own minds up about the holiday they paid for.

...luxury hotel....

...another horror.....

...scrutinize foreigners.....

..seems we never can pay enough.....

..now will they be cleaned out of their life savings too to pay for the medical bills....

..you'd think that all these victims were without country considering what their governments do to protect them....

1 minute ago, Guitar God said:

The connection between a sore throat and seizures, and something she ate in Pattaya is tenuous. 

I am not a doctor but if food contains surface pesticide it could result in similar symptoms.

The initial contact irritant with throat and then the effect on other bodily systems.

Sounds like it could be a peanut allergy, anaphylactic reaction, very sudden and very dangerous.  She may not have ordered food with peanuts but the cook may have used the same bowl to make a peanut dish before and not cleaned it.  Sad story...

I always thought that the 1st symptom for people with nut allergies was their throat would start to get constricted so the link between a sore throat & something she ate isn't that tenuous.

Tragic thing to happen to a family already reeling from another tragedy, hope her bills are fully covered by insurance (if not this feels a much worthier crowd funding cause that some of the other appeals we see on here).

so I suppose now we'll be getting a series of "announcements" from various "medical sources" guessing at what caused the problem.

What will be glaringly missing is an analysis of how this emergency was dealt with by the various medical units involved.

"... her heart stopped, starving her brain of oxygen for eleven minutes."

The brain can survive for up to about six minutes after the heart stops. The reason to learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is that if CPR is started within six minutes of cardiac arrest, the brain may survive the lack of oxygen. After about six minutes without CPR, however, the brain begins to die.

If her brain was indeed starved of oxygen for eleven minutes, as stated in the report, then the prognosis is very grim.  

She may be little more than an alive body, with no mind left... like a house.... with nobody home.

What they used to call a "vegetable".   Brain dead.   Very sad...  

19 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

By no means saying this in jest and I sincerely hope this woman has medical insurance and if she does, that the policy covers her for serious medical emergencies.

If she does not have medical insurance this could cost her millions of bahts.

If her brain really was starved of oxygen for eleven minutes as it says in the article...  she will never be aware of any cost.. She will be brain dead.  Nobody home...     very sad...      

The same could happen to me.       I always carry an Epi-pen epinephrine injector and the anti-hystamine Benadryl (Diphenhydramine) with me when travelling....  I'm deadly allergic to Shrimp/Prawns.  It's the only food I am deadly allergic to.  I have to be very careful.

Many people allergic to one shellfish are also allergic to others.  But it's not always the case.. there are exceptions to the "rule".  It's only Shrimp/Prawns for me. 

Twice I've ended up rushed to the hospital because of this allergy... Thank Buddha for Epi-pen and for Diphenhydramine. 

In Thailand I first learned the locations of the closest hospitals.... and learned how to say "shrimp/prawn allergy" and "chicken please... no shrimp/prawns" in Thai.  Do the same no matter where I travel.

48 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

By no means saying this in jest and I sincerely hope this woman has medical insurance and if she does, that the policy covers her for serious medical emergencies.

If she does not have medical insurance this could cost her millions of bahts.

I believe money is of secondary importance when someone has suffered 11 min of oxygen starvation to the brain. Just saying...

Hope she recovers well despite odds being against her at this point.

44 minutes ago, Catoni said:

"... her heart stopped, starving her brain of oxygen for eleven minutes."

The brain can survive for up to about six minutes after the heart stops. The reason to learn cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is that if CPR is started within six minutes of cardiac arrest, the brain may survive the lack of oxygen. After about six minutes without CPR, however, the brain begins to die.

If her brain was indeed starved of oxygen for eleven minutes, as stated in the report, then the prognosis is very grim.  

She may be little more than an alive body, with no mind left... like a house.... with nobody home.

What they used to call a "vegetable".   Brain dead.   Very sad...  

What concerns me is she collapsed, in hospital, and yet she suffered a lack of oxygen for 11 minutes, what were the doctors doing, or not doing.

"Something she ate". A nice vague diagnosis that ensures no entity in Thailand is found culpable or blamed in any way particularly the first doctor that sent her off with a cursory smile and wave and the obligatory antibiotics and slyly shifts the blame to the patient.

Just now, tomwct said:

Why would anyone choose Pattaya for a holiday? Not me! I hope she recovers!

Probably because there's no chance of them meeting someone like yourself seeing as you say would never be seen here....but thank you for your worthwhile, positive and encouraging words that may be of great assistance to the grieving family should they have the equal misfortune to read what you said.

I hope she will recover and wish her the best.  May or maybe not something to do with this.  I try my best to avoid consuming MSG.  I think sometimes eating street Som tum and other things I inadvertently get some in my system.

After brushing my teeth and flossing I will often take about 1/8 teaspoon salt in my hand toss it in my mouth take a little sip of water and rinse it around my mouth for 1/2 minute.

I had mistakingly bought a small bag of MSG rather than salt.  I did this the other day with the MSG.  I quickly noticed it wasn't salt on my tongue and I thought what the hell is it.  Of course MSG spit it out immediately.

I then got very dizzy and swallowing was weird.  I rinsed my mouth several times but that taste on the "spot" on my tongue was there for hours and I just did not feel good.  I friend was hospitalized about a month ago  with a mild anaphylactic reaction to MSG.  He does his best to avoid it but it's happened once before.

I don't think it's related in this case sounds like an allergic reaction to me,  a little hard to figure with the history of the case.   Anyway just a reminder about MSG here in Thailand.  We really are swimming in it!

"Food for thought" 

Typical MSG complaints include:

An ambulance was called and rushed her to Pattaya Memorial Hospital where the fifty-four-year-old collapsed, suffered two seizures and her heart stopped, starving her brain of oxygen for eleven minutes.

I was a patient at memorial about 18 years ago with stomach cramps that I thought I'd die. The hospital is not what we would see as a good one. 

I don't believe a word they're saying, 11 minutes in Thailand can also be 111 minutes. Lot's hope that the lady wakes up and will be able to get over the death of her son.

Life sometimes really sucks, after such a horror story the next? Is there anybody helping them? If there's help needed, I'm in to spend a few baht. 

Get well soon and I truly hope that her brain is okay. Something tells me that the hospital is hiding a lot of bs.

I'm writing that because I know how they do things here. I feel really sorry for both.