Ever Seen This Before?

sharecropper

52 minutes ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I would suspect this was a new branch and they were there for the "blessing" chanting ceremony that's marks special occasions for most Thai businesses. Is it a new branch...was it in the morning?

Generally, Buddhist monks are not supposed to handle money.

I could be wrong,   but i think all Thai males

are suppose to go into the temple for a few months,  at some time in there life.

If so im sure,    there can be  monetary things that need to be addressed over such a period,  when away from family,   maybe that's what is  going on.

Think if it was a blessing it would be senor monks.

But must admit they do look a bit young for banks

like i said i could be wrong,  who knows.  :wai2:

Edited by onemorechang

4 hours ago, OMGImInPattaya said:

I would suspect this was a new branch and they were there for the "blessing" chanting ceremony that's marks special occasions for most Thai businesses. Is it a new branch...was it in the morning?

Generally, Buddhist monks are not supposed to handle money.

So does that mean they can handle credit and debit cards instead? That's a serious question, not rhetorical.

Your suspicions are wrong however - Donald Trump wrong -  that branch has been there for 15 years; it was late afternoon, and there was no chanting or ceremony at all except the financial ceremony of opening bank accounts.

In thailand monks have money, both cash and bank account. 

Only some monks in some temple such as wat pho (Naklua) and wat yansangworraram, they do not touch cash. 

Thai like to donate money to monk or temple. 

Some monks do not touch cash, we give money in the donate box. 

Normally,  when Buddhists do their religious ceremony they give monk some money in the envelop. 

Every temples have some routine expense. some monks have some private expense such as cigarette, medicine tablet  or toothbrush etc. 

Last year, there was a news. Monk was dead by train accident. Police found monk bag with almost 1 million baht cash and some more money in bank account. He carried a lot of money with him on train! 

7 hours ago, sharecropper said:

So does that mean they can handle credit and debit cards instead? That's a serious question, not rhetorical.

Your suspicions are wrong however - Donald Trump wrong -  that branch has been there for 15 years; it was late afternoon, and there was no chanting or ceremony at all except the financial ceremony of opening bank accounts.

In a perfect Buddhist world, they wouldn't need to handle money (or credit/debit cards or other financial instruments) because their material needs are seen to by the laity. However, in a bow to practicality many of them do. 

Was the branch recenty remodeled...or maybe so other significant event involving that branch, of which you are unawares took place (ghost sighting ?), that required ritual purification.

17 hours ago, champa said:

In thailand monks have money, both cash and bank account. 

Only some monks in some temple such as wat pho (Naklua) and wat yansangworraram, they do not touch cash. 

Thai like to donate money to monk or temple. 

Some monks do not touch cash, we give money in the donate box. 

Normally,  when Buddhists do their religious ceremony they give monk some money in the envelop. 

Every temples have some routine expense. some monks have some private expense such as cigarette, medicine tablet  or toothbrush etc. 

Last year, there was a news. Monk was dead by train accident. Police found monk bag with almost 1 million baht cash and some more money in bank account. He carried a lot of money with him on train! 

Not sure on that, I recall at one of the fairs held at the temple Second/south Road Junction seeing a monk collecting rent from stall holders who had a lay person handle the money.

21 hours ago, Basil B said:

Not sure on that, I recall at one of the fairs held at the temple Second/south Road Junction seeing a monk collecting rent from stall holders who had a lay person handle the money.

The income is for the temple. It is annual fair. Not all thai donate or support this kind of temple activity. 

And not all thai give money to the monk but some thai like to do so. 

Picture shown a lot of cash found in monk carry bag.  almost a million baht. 

Mon.jpg

My stepson recently completed about 9 months 'monkhood'. During the time at the Wat he earned more money praying and wailing at funerals and other ceremonies than he did at his full time (labouring) job prior to going into the Wat. I don't know how monies donated by devotees to the monks is shared out, but I do know that money given to him was for his personal use. I know, my wife banked it for him!

Monks........'Money for Nothing and Your Grub for Free'.

21 hours ago, Basil B said:

I recall while in BKK last year visiting Pantip plaza...

I was amazed to see a monk thumbing through the catalogues of seedy CD's then pull out a ATM card and use  the ATM machine.

All males have certain needs :giggle: