Proposed 5 percent taxi fare increase dependent on customer satisfaction

webfact

Proposed 5 percent taxi fare increase dependent on customer satisfaction

By Coconuts Bangkok 

9-13-2014-10-10-07-am-wpcf_728x413.jpg

Photo: Thai PBS

BANGKOK: -- Fares for taxi services in Thailand might go up by five percent if the passengers who utilize them are content with the service.

This will be measured by an overall decrease in the number of customer complaints lodged with taxi companies and transportation officials.

According to Deputy Transport Minister Ormsin Chivapruck, the Ministry of Transport will decide if taxi fares should be increased this year.

In 2014, the Ministry approved a fare hike of 13 percent. However, the Ministry only allowed a fare hike of eight percent and withheld the other five percent until feedback showed that taxi drivers had improved their services.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/16/proposed-5-percent-taxi-fare-increase-dependent-customer-satisfaction

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-16

8 minutes ago, Metapod said:

increase again?

they already increased the prices and nothing has changed. I had to ask 14 taxis last week when I was trying to get home from RCA. 14.......

It takes me about 4 before one will agree to use a meter.

I thought this was resolved a year ago.

So a taxi fare price-rise is predicated on customer satisfaction, which is measured by an overall decrease in the number of customer complaints lodged with taxi companies and transportation officials!

If recent history is anything to go by, they're a shoo-in to get their 5% increase using this logic.

It's just like saying the August 7 referendum was carried overwhelmingly because 16,820,402 out of 50,071,589 eligible voters ticked the "Yes" box?

1 hour ago, ClutchClark said:

So those who do not use the meter wont be bothered about a 5% rise as they charge what they like anyway.

Time they got tough on those who do not use their meters as it is not only the passengers who get ripped off ...I bet they cheat the Tax Man too.

Let's first start with using metres ALL over Thailand.

I took a taxi from Swampy yesterday and the driver barely could speak english...he had an awfull old taxi full of broken parts as well. He drove it slow though (hard rain) which was good.

2 hours ago, Basil B said:

So those who do not use the meter wont be bothered about a 5% rise as they charge what they like anyway.

Time they got tough on those who do not use their meters as it is not only the passengers who get ripped off ...I bet they cheat the Tax Man too.

Cheat the Tax Man - a taxi driver - never!

:D

4 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Recently I was lucky and only had to ask 1 or 2 until they agreed to use a meter. But then they are the crazy ones and ask for 300 THB for a destination which costs by meter maximum 65 THB.... If tourists don't knnow they will be ripped-off. But I guess this happens in many countries....

Service to $ then singapore is one of the best , thailand is indeed cheap & good enough as long as you know true costs & rough route & make effort keep yourself safe as realistically possible, I've had 2 taxi crashes in bkk, one rear ending a pickup & another a car nudged our flank at a junction :-S couple scary misses also due too awful driving (taxi driver), I would be quite happy for my partner use singapore taxi on own, in thailand that carries more risk even if just scam hassle as things go nasty quickly plus a taxi user gets bored of low mentality bu11sh1t ...

Edited by BuckBee

44 minutes ago, BuckBee said:

Service to $ then singapore is one of the best , thailand is indeed cheap & good enough as long as you know true costs & rough route & make effort keep yourself safe as realistically possible, I've had 2 taxi crashes in bkk, one rear ending a pickup & another a car nudged our flank at a junction :-S couple scary misses also due too awful driving (taxi driver), I would be quite happy for my partner use singapore taxi on own, in thailand that carries more risk even if just scam hassle as things go nasty quickly plus a taxi user gets bored of low mentality bu11sh1t ...

My wife will never use a thai taxi alone. Her friend does though but only with a gun in her purse.

Well I must be lucky! Apart from taxis late night/ early morning around Nana/Asoke, drivers always use the meter. Personally I find taxis far too cheap, the guys have families to feed too you know. Most drivers are pleasant and polite, have rudimentary English skills and love it when the passenger has Thai language skills no matter how poor.

I would advise lone women passengers to always make (or pretend to make) a call to a friend, passing the taxi number to them and telling them what time to expect their arrival. I know of several incidents with lone female passengers receiving unwanted advances from drivers, particularly if they are picked up in entertainment areas.

Anyway, give them a rise I say!

Edited by midasthailand
grammar

Don't worry...the govt will allow the 5% increase....and they will say the increase is justified because of fewer customer complaints....customers are happier than ever especially tourists they will say.   Happy, happy, happy everyone is.  It's a done deal.

3 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

Where do all you guys live were the taxi drivers won't use the meter? I have used taxis for a long time and apart from the center of Bangkok they all put the meter on without being asked.

Same here, traveled thailand for the last 12 years never had any problems.

Try it on surawong road, biayoke, pratunam, big-c ratchadamri, asok montri to name a few and see how you get on . even see thais throw a tantrum at ratchadamri as can be that bad . many areas no problem but still some bad ones & it not just farang who get stupid prices (taxis, tuk-tuks etc rip off thais just as much or worse as they part with money easier)  .

Edited by BuckBee

51 minutes ago, gandalf12 said:

Where do all you guys live were the taxi drivers won't use the meter? I have used taxis for a long time and apart from the center of Bangkok they all put the meter on without being asked.

Try getting a taxi at RCA at 2am

Stupidest thing I have heard today.  If the taxi drivers need an increase then so be it (at one point the fairs were frozen for 8 years I believe -- so adjustment made sense.... cost of living in Bangkok has risen considerably during that time.  

The "bad" drivers don't care and will not be held hostage to this because they won't be affected one way or another - they are just holding the good drivers hostage.  Blanket problem areas with people who are there just to take taxis and trap bad drivers.  Create enough risk for bad drivers and you will start to see improvement -- not before.

2 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

2 hours ago, Hutch68 said:

Me too. Used hundreds of taxis and never had one who refused to use a meter ??? Must be something that happens after midnight when I am already in bed.

Center of BKK.

When I catch the taxi from my hotel its always a meter...but then I have some great security staff who let the driver know where I am headed.

Trying to catch a cab back to the hotel is just the opposite.

I probably look like a tourist, I am a pretty jovial fellow compared to most local farang I see and I am missing the big red nose of severe alcoholism so these cab drivers can probably spot me from a mile off  ;-)

Samui. All the taxis installed meters in 2014 but none of them ever use them and the 50 Baht surcharge was just added to the 'no meter' charge.

1 hour ago, Denim said:

Me too. Used hundreds of taxis and never had one who refused to use a meter ??? Must be something that happens after midnight when I am already in bed.

Get a grip.  Have lost count of the ones refusing to use it over the last 4-5 years.  Early morning, later in the morning, any time of day in fact.  Maybe you just spend a lot of time in bed...

4 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

All over the Sukhumvit area it is hit and miss anytime of day and worse at night. Sometimes get lucky for short rides, but between Asoke/Nana area to On Nut/Bang Chak they want B300. We report them. The reverse ride is usually not a problem getting a meter, though many of them won't go depending on time of day.

4 hours ago, Hutch68 said:

Your travels obviously never took you to Pattaya. Not ONE taxi has ever used a meter there...EVER...even though they all say TAXI METER right on top. See above for another example and my experience goes back well before there ever were metered taxis.

15 hours ago, Metapod said:

increase again?

they already increased the prices and nothing has changed. I had to ask 14 taxis last week when I was trying to get home from RCA. 14.......

theyll spin that as you used to have to ask 15 and therefore its an improvement and ............up goes the price

2 hours ago, Metapod said:

Then your opinion on catching taxis in Bangkok is irrelevant. 

Try acting like a normal person and maybe you won't have these problems. If you want to be a bar hopper fine but complain if taxi'service rip you off.