Another delay: Samkong Underpass completion pushed to end of August

webfact

Another delay: Samkong Underpass completion pushed to end of August

Phuket Gazette 

pg55.jpeg         

The underpass is reported to be about 90 per cent complete. Photo: Highways Dept

PHUKET: -- The expected mid-August completion date of the Samkong Underpass has been pushed back yet again, this time until the end of August.

“The rain has made the process quite slow,” said Chalermpol Wongkiattikun, the project engineer from the Department of Highways. “The underpass is about 90 per cent complete and we expect the entire project to be completed by the end of the month.”

The project was last postponed from July 31 to mid-August, when it was reported to be 83 percent complete.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Another-delay-Samkong-Underpass-completion-pushed-end/65404?desktopversion

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-08-16

So the work is 90% complete and they expect to be 100% complete in 2 weeks?

I'll be generous and say that work began about 24 months ago. If it took 24 months to do 90% of the work, then that implies it will take another 2.5 months to complete working at the same snail's pace. Can't these people do even the simplest arithmetic?

Either the 90% figure, or the 2 weeks to completion estimate is obviously incorrect.  My money is on the 2 weeks to completion being incorrect.

1 hour ago, DrDave said:

So the work is 90% complete and they expect to be 100% complete in 2 weeks?

I'll be generous and say that work began about 24 months ago. If it took 24 months to do 90% of the work, then that implies it will take another 2.5 months to complete working at the same snail's pace. Can't these people do even the simplest arithmetic?

Either the 90% figure, or the 2 weeks to completion estimate is obviously incorrect.  My money is on the 2 weeks to completion being incorrect.

I can tell you how wrong one can be. On December 14, 2015 they said it will take 15-20 DAYS to change the position of all the electric and other poles at the Chalong circle, I predicted that it will take 15-20 WEEKS. I have to apologise because I was wrong. Now, middle of August still no end in sight.

18 hours ago, stevenl said:

Yes. Anyone want to take a bet it will not be completed by the end of August?

Maybe if the odds are 1000:1 you might find someone who wants to take that bet.

What I don't understand is why they keep promising to finish it in 2 weeks and then postpone it another 2 weeks when they reach their deadline.

Why don't they tell it will take 3 more months, and then try to complete it in 2 months?

"under-promise and over-deliver"

Does anyone know how it is with the fines of 200.000 (or whatever) baht per day of delay?

I don't hear anything about that anymore. By now the underpass must be for free.

TBF the rain has been pretty hardcore lately in samkong

but also, they are no where near 90% complete. They have to redo the entire sidewalks if the want to put asphalt on the concrete road as the drain holes will get covered. If they don't do this they have to raise all the sidewalks..

Edited by bearpolar

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

Who cares.But the 24 in Surin province has nearly finished it's duplacation and that will save lives.

Except that in Phuket, historically the number of fatalities at the intersections being modified with tunnels is extremely low. The overwhelming number of traffic fatalities occur on Thepkrasattri Road in Thalang, far from any intersection. Patong Hill probably comes in second, again far from any intersection.