Beach time? Thai officials mull four-day holiday in September

snoop1130

Beach time? Thai officials mull four-day holiday in September

By Coconuts Bangkok

krabi_1.jpg

Photo: Mikhail Koninin/ Flickr

Since Thailand’s tourism income is sure to suffer from the series of bombingsin several popular beach destinations last week, the desperate government is considering giving us a long weekend next month so that we can go on vacation and spend some money.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) will seek approval from the cabinet to make World Tourism Day (Tuesday, Sept. 27) a national holiday. They will also ask for an extra holiday on Monday, Sept. 26.

So that would leave us with a four-day holiday from Sept. 24-27.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/16/beach-time-thai-officials-mull-four-day-holiday-september

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-16

That's all good and well but we (those living in Thailand) have far to many holidays here in my opinion. We had a long weekend last month. I wouldn't mind if productivity here was good but it isn't. Businesses suffer and are out of pocket. I am sure you will get those who are on holiday here, praising this proposition but really. Far too many holidays as it is and I don't think another long weekend will bring money back, from the current situation that is happening.

4 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

That's all good and well but we (those living in Thailand) have far to many holidays here in my opinion. We had a long weekend last month. I wouldn't mind if productivity here was good but it isn't. Businesses suffer and are out of pocket. I am sure you will get those who are on holiday here, praising this proposition but really. Far too many holidays as it is and I don't think another long weekend will bring money back, from the current situation that is happening.

Quite so.

Due to the recession that isn't a recession, there's no spare money available in Thailand at the moment  so where it's going to come from, who knows?  

'Letters from Thailand' is a excellent read about how a Chinese immigrant (who fled China 1959) classified the Thai workers, should be re-introduced in all Thai schools again (and maybe also to the ones in charge of the country right now).  

Edited by HiSoLowSoNoSo

3 minutes ago, Kerryd said:

Well it sounds like they don't plan on banning alcohol sales or closing any bars so the vast majority of TV members will be able to breathe a sigh of relief.

Or live in dread of the other shoe dropping...

24 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

That's all good and well but we (those living in Thailand) have far to many holidays here in my opinion. We had a long weekend last month. I wouldn't mind if productivity here was good but it isn't. 

If productivity is that bad, you won't miss them anyway.

Edit:  BTW, I promise to contribute my share those days to the tourist economy, and even to pick up for some slackers and grumps.

Edited by impulse

8 minutes ago, impulse said:

If productivity is that bad, you won't miss them anyway.

Edit:  BTW, I promise to contribute my share those days to the tourist economy, and even to pick up for some slackers and grumps.

Work out how many holidays, say compared to the UK and US. More holidays will have a negative impact on things. More days off for children in school. No wonder they are way behind.

Yes your contribution will make a huge difference:clap2:. Glad you are thinking of everyone else.

Far better to have a holiday in Oct when the schools are off. Oh, hang on- that will probably happen as well. I wonder if the gov't realise how much revenue s lost trying to generate revenue with all these holidays?

2 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Work out how many holidays, say compared to the UK and US. More holidays will have a negative impact on things. More days off for children in school. No wonder they are way behind.

Yes your contribution will make a huge difference. Glad you are thinking of everyone else.

Then compare pay scales.  They'd have to take 4-1/2 days off a week to even things up.  But this is Thailand, and operates on Thai time and Thai customs.  If I wanted to operate on US time and US customs, I'd go back to the USA.  

Meanwhile, as frustrating as it is sometimes, there's some beauty in Thainess.  Some extra days off (which really just means working from the house) are one little bonus.

My business only ever closes 3 days per year. (All Staff Off)

1. Christmas Day

2. New Years Day (Jan 1st)

3. Songkran

Of course we comply with the legal requirement, 1 day off per week, 6 vacation days, and 13 days more to account for public holidays. 

Basically, we are open 362 days per year and staff get a 30 day allotment to use as they please. So, like Europe we have a thirteenth month essentially, and staff schedule their time off so not to interfere with the other staff, and never in the high season.

Edited by xvend

Years ago I asked my office manager to go through the calender and pick out the holidays we would be closed. She pretty much had us closed about 25% of the year. I did it myself.

3 hours ago, Mister Fixit said:

Quite so.

Due to the recession that isn't a recession, there's no spare money available in Thailand at the moment  so where it's going to come from, who knows?  

And the fact that the average Thai household is up to their neck in debt from previous efforts to jump start the economy pushing cheap loans.  

Proposal to declare Sept 24-27 public holidays put on hold pending discussions

Tourism-and-Sports-Minister-wpcf_693x413

BANGKOK: -- Tourism and Sports Minister Kobkarn Wattanavrangkul has put on hold a proposal of the Tourism Authority of Thailand that the government declares September 24-27 public holidays to promote tourism.

She said Tuesday that she needs to consult with other ministries and listen to their opinions about the proposal and this process may take about two weeks before there is an answer.

However, she said that the Tourism and Sports Ministry would press ahead with staging more activities to promote tourism, including a request to master license of Pokemon Company in Japan to help in tourism promotion by releasing a rare Pokemon Go monster in tourist attractions in Thailand and issuing handbooks on how to play the online augmented reality game.

Meanwhile, Mr Yutthachai Sunthornrattanavech, advisor to Thai Tourism Business Association, said although long public holidays would help promote tourism, he would prefer the government to declare long holidays during Chinese New Year’s festival as most SME operators take a break during the period.

TAT, in the meantime, will step up marketing campaign this month until year end to cushion impacts from the recent bombing and arson attacks in seven southern provinces.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/proposal-declare-sept-24-27-public-holidays-put-hold-pending-discussions/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-17

So it's on hold pending discussions or is that a face saving way of binning the idea   ?

I'm not saying some people don't go on holiday but as I've posted before those in my area don't go anywhere except one family who visit relatives in an adjacent province which is hardly tourism.    My other neighbours stay at home,  one lady keeps her home laundry going as usual and I never see droves heading out shopping or to restaurants.

What do other members see in the home area and circle of friends   ?

26 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

So it's on hold pending discussions or is that a face saving way of binning the idea   ?

I'm not saying some people don't go on holiday but as I've posted before those in my area don't go anywhere except one family who visit relatives in an adjacent province which is hardly tourism.    My other neighbours stay at home,  one lady keeps her home laundry going as usual and I never see droves heading out shopping or to restaurants.

What do other members see in the home area and circle of friends   ?

We are in Chiangmai and our friends travel on public holidays, they make the trip to lamphun to stay with family.  They do stock up on food for the 19 km trip.

13 minutes ago, Thechook said:

We are in Chiangmai and our friends travel on public holidays, they make the trip to lamphun to stay with family.  They do stock up on food for the 19 km trip.

That's a long haul and must take some planning.      Does the cost of the food count as tourism related spending I wonder   ?

No doubt it in view of the minister it all counts.

If that family stops to eat the lunch break will probably be longer than the actual journey.

Edited by NongKhaiKid

8 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

That's a long haul and must take some planning.      Does the cost of the food count as tourism related spending I wonder   ?

No doubt it in view of the minister it all counts.

They do stop halfway to eat, and grab a bag of chopped up sausage and cucumber from 7/11

Beach time for 4 days? At this time of the year

especially the southern sea is infested with box jellyfish.......

A warning has been issued: for travelers swimming in Thailand.

http://www.tatnews.org/jellyfish-warning-for-travellers-swimming-in-thailand/

This would be a good idea to adopt on Thai beaches,

it could save lives.:

vinegar-for-immediate-treatment-of-box-j

Edited by doremifasol
Added picture

....including a request to master license of Pokemon Company in Japan to help in tourism promotion by releasing a rare Pokemon Go monster in tourist attractions in Thailand....

Is that a demonstration of catching a Pokemon by his pikachus in that photo?