Open bank account with 90 days tourist visa, possible?

I opened an account a few days ago at the Tor Gor Sor (Agricultural Co-operative Bank). Had a 30-day tourist visa extension, their yellow resident's book and B500 deposit.

Their only concern was that I definitely wasn't American. "If you flom amelcah, cannot have!". My passport says I'm 'British', and once she saw that the smile returned to her face and she started filling in the forms. Thirty minutes and seemingly five thousand signatures later (give or take 4,990), I was out the door with pass-book and ATM card (with B60k daily withdrawal limit) in hand.

I also have a Bangkok Bank account which I opened in Chiang Rai twelve years ago with no more than a 30-day out-in visa from a border run and B500 deposit.  I'm going to make a great show of closing that account, due to them being lying, robbing bastards who have f**ked me over too many times, at great loss to me.  I wouldn't recommend Bangkok Bank to anyone, especially those who play the currency markets.

57 minutes ago, JayBeeee said:

I opened an account a few days ago at the Tor Gor Sor (Agricultural Co-operative Bank). Had a 30-day tourist visa extension, their yellow resident's book and B500 deposit.

Their only concern was that I definitely wasn't American. "If you flom amelcah, cannot have!". My passport says I'm 'British', and once she saw that the smile returned to her face and she started filling in the forms. Thirty minutes and seemingly five thousand signatures later (give or take 4,990), I was out the door with pass-book and ATM card (with B60k daily withdrawal limit) in hand.

I also have a Bangkok Bank account which I opened in Chiang Rai twelve years ago with no more than a 30-day out-in visa from a border run and B500 deposit.  I'm going to make a great show of closing that account, due to them being lying, robbing bastards who have f**ked me over too many times, at great loss to me.  I wouldn't recommend Bangkok Bank to anyone, especially those who play the currency markets.

Do try to be careful of the defamation laws in Thailand.

Just sayin.

On ‎8‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 2:25 AM, joe999 said:

Thanks for your input, will try again with different branches/locations.

Suggest going to a large SCB bank in an area that Farangs frequent. Also you may have better luck doing it in Pattaya. There's a SCB on the 2nd Rd. about 50 meters North of Central Rd across the street from TOPS Market. I've had a few friend go to that  SCB and they had no problem getting a savings account there....