Open bank account with 90 days tourist visa, possible?

Hi,

Saw an older thread were this topic was discussed, but not sure that it is still current. I live in Thailand for many years already and brought my dad here on a 90 day tourist visa. Besides visiting me here, I also wanted to check if he feels comfortable here in order to stay here in the long run, on a retirement visa.

This is were I have a big question now. It seems that in the past, some banks or at least some branches, would allow a foreigner to open a bank account with only a passport and another id, i.e. driving license. I have been to almost every bank and all of them tell me that I need to show also a work permit.

Is this the new rule now? If that is the case, how can you apply for a retirement visa without having 800k baht in a thai bank account?

Can anyone enlighten me? Thanks in advance.

The majority of Banks are now asking for a work permit in order to open an account. I had exactly the same last week with kasikorn bank in Bangkok.Whether it's a rule or not, that's what they want.

As suggested, all you can do is keep trying. It's much like the UK now though. Everybody expects you to have an account but near impossible to get one that is worth having.

Rule or no rule the fact is every branch is asking for a work permit. Going blindly to other branches is a big waste of time. I had to open an account in Pattaya on tourist visa (I live in Bangkok). Banks in Pattaya seem to be more accommodating as a lot of expats live there. I got married in February and banks would still not open account for me even though my wife was with me ready to deposit 400k for marriage extension. Had to open an account in hua hin. Go figure.

You don't need to have 800k (baht) in a Thai bank to apply for a Retirement Visa. You need to show a combination of income and deposit that would total 800k (baht)/year. If you have a pension of $2,000 USD/month (60,000 baht)  that would account for 720,000 of your required funds meaning you would only have to show the difference in a Thai bank account. And it would have to be on deposit for over 6 months. You can get residency and income forms at your local Embassy. The Immigration is still using 30 baht/USD as of July, 2016. I don;t know the exchange rates for other countries/currencies.

Did it 4 years ago at Bangkok Bank Khao Sarn Road branch. It's a tiny branch which is even open on weekends. The staff was really helpful and opened an account for me in no time with only my passport. You won't have the option of internet banking with this account unless you have a work permit (I got a work permit a year after and updated my account), but you can use the phone banking from abroad to do basics (no money transfer). 

yes, you can.  opened two accounts this year on 30-day

tourist visa waivers.

tried many banks, various locations.  most wanted to

see my work permit.

first success was a small krungsri branch, explained i

needed the account to deposit in order to apply for

the long-term visa, and then to buy a condo.

next went with bangkok bank main office.  despite 

the "rules" in their brochure, they still wanted a work

permit OR proof of residency.....either from immigration

or my embassy.  (should be available for the $50 notary

fee if us citizen, don't believe any "proof" is needed.)

they did accept a non-related notarized form from the

embassy that showed my bangkok address.  your

proof of residence might be acceptable for another

family member.  

the krungsri account offers internet banking, but

no atm card.

the bkk bank account provides atm card, but no

internet banking.  and once linked to my us

checking account thru the ny branch of bangkok

bank, is easy and cheap to transfer cash getting

the in-country exchange rate.

Edited by ChouDoufu

I did it some years ago on a tourist visa with Bangkok Bank, 20,000 baht deposit. Savings account only, but that suited me. All they wanted was a copy of my passport. Possibly the rules have tightened up since then.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, IamFredP said:

You don't need to have 800k (baht) in a Thai bank to apply for a Retirement Visa. You need to show a combination of income and deposit that would total 800k (baht)/year. If you have a pension of $2,000 USD/month (60,000 baht)  that would account for 720,000 of your required funds meaning you would only have to show the difference in a Thai bank account. And it would have to be on deposit for over 6 months. You can get residency and income forms at your local Embassy. The Immigration is still using 30 baht/USD as of July, 2016. I don;t know the exchange rates for other countries/currencies.

Useful info . But he still would need a bank account.

I got mine 9 years ago on a Tourist Visa , but as others say , I had to be persistent and ask at lots of banks.

I have a savings account at Bangkok Bank and it comes with an ATM/Debit card and on line bill pay and account access through their Bualuang Banking service. I also just signed up for the new EZpay service with them using just my mobile number. Bangkok Bank seems to be pretty ex-pat friendly but try a branch in one of the larger malls like Central World or Siam Paragon as they seem to have a better relationship with foreigners.

It would be helpful to know at which location/branches the OP or the posters are referring to.

Or did I miss something and Bangkok is self-evident?

Pattaya was always easy and trouble-free (Kasikorn).

For opening a savings account (debit only, no credit, no credit card) there is no requirement for a WP!

Reading the rules from BKK bank (post #2) gives a good idea about what is required.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Can I ask why you want a Bank account at this stage. If father wants to come here on a OA visa based on retirement , you get that visa in home country, showing funds in home country. Come to thailand with visa and bank will open account. You  have 9 months, after arrival, to open an account and transfer money, ready for 1st extension.

1 hour ago, bazza40 said:

I did it some years ago on a tourist visa with Bangkok Bank, 20,000 baht deposit. Savings account only, but that suited me. All they wanted was a copy of my passport. Possibly the rules have tightened up since then.

or they may have a different manager who changes the rules, happens all the time.

24 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Can I ask why you want a Bank account at this stage. If father wants to come here on a OA visa based on retirement , you get that visa in home country, showing funds in home country. Come to thailand with visa and bank will open account. You  have 9 months, after arrival, to open an account and transfer money, ready for 1st extension.

If he goes out and back just before the "Enter Before" date on his OA Visa he'll get another 12 months "Permission to Stay" on re-entry - so he doesn't have to worry about "seasoning" for 21 months for an Extension at Immi.

Just remember he'll need a re-entry permit from his local Immi office if leaving the Kingdom in the second 12 months of stay.

1 minute ago, Evilbaz said:

If he goes out and back just before the "Enter Before" date on his OA Visa he'll get another 12 months "Permission to Stay" on re-entry - so he doesn't have to worry about "seasoning" for 21 months for an Extension at Immi.

Just remember he'll need a re-entry permit from his local Immi office if leaving the Kingdom in the second 12 months of stay.

Yes, that's right. I don't know why everyone goes into a mad panic trying to open a bank account on a TV. When you don't actually need one for anything up to 21 months later.

When i moved to my current address in Khon kaen,i wanted to open a second account with a local bank.All my business and personal accounting is with a Pattaya bank.I went to the SCB.I had to show Passport,marriage certificate,and house book.I also had to fill in a very personal form,stating that i was not American,or had any dealings with any American companies,banks or savings schemes.For some reason they dont like giving accounts to Americans.I dont have a work permit,but as i was legally married to a Thai National,everything was ok.I dont know if any other banks have the same problem with the USA,but the SCB does.

1 hour ago, KhunBENQ said:

Pattaya was always easy and trouble-free (Kasikorn).

Reading the rules from BKK bank (post #2) gives a good idea about what is required.

I have had a Bangkok Bank account for years (opened with a tourist-visa entry in the Pattaya area).  A week ago, I wanted to open a 2nd account .  I was told I needed to go to to Immigration and get a "Proof of Residence" document, before I could do so.   This seems to be a new policy, though I have not "branch shopped" to further validate that assumption.

Edited by JackThompson

3 hours ago, zaZa9 said:

Useful info . But he still would need a bank account.

I got mine 9 years ago on a Tourist Visa , but as others say , I had to be persistent and ask at lots of banks.

You do not require a Thai bank account. Statement of your account from your home (o'seas) bank; plus a separate letter from the bank stating that that is your account. If satisfying the 800K then balance of account must have been or above for 3 months  minimum.

My local Krungthai bank refused to open account for me without work permit. It says on their website that if visa is longer than 90 days then OK. Pointed that out to the bank; still refused.

Went home and rang Helpline at main office, who confirmed I could open account. I asked them to ring and inform my local branch; rang me 1hr later and invited me to open account. Put in minimal deposit and now use Internet transfer between o'seas and Thai account.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RogerP said:

You do not require a Thai bank account. Statement of your account from your home (o'seas) bank; plus a separate letter from the bank stating that that is your account. If satisfying the 800K then balance of account must have been or above for 3 months  minimum.

My local Krungthai bank refused to open account for me without work permit. It says on their website that if visa is longer than 90 days then OK. Pointed that out to the bank; still refused.

Went home and rang Helpline at main office, who confirmed I could open account. I asked them to ring and inform my local branch; rang me 1hr later and invited me to open account. Put in minimal deposit and now use Internet transfer between o'seas and Thai account.

Spot on - you didn't give up!

I am with Kasikorn and my local branch, where I opened the account(s) refused to create a new account for me.

I went to another branch and got it done there!

Don't panic - This is Thailand he he.

It is  possible, but not easy.

Keep trying until you find a bank ans a branch where they are willing to do it.

To be fair to the Thai banks, expecially whwn the cutomer is an American , at least  much of the reason why the banks  are not eager to open an account for an American is the problems rhe Thai banks have is the rules the U.S. government have that requires extra paperwork and documuments and regulations for U.S individiuals trying to open a Thai bank account.

And just to verify,have had Acc.for maybe 2 yrs,has been mot lao for about 8 mths.think about 64 baht.Use Australian debit card.So it's not like they love me for my Acc.Seriously,they are a lovely bunch of people at my branch.Always ready to help and accommodate.