Extension of stay on 90 day non-immigrant "O" visa marriage

I am trying to understand the 40,000 monthly income vs the 400,000 bank account requirement (for 90 day non-immigrant "O" visa) , if my US bank account (with plenty of cash in it) is being filled monthly with more than 40,000 baht, is that all i need? Is the 400,000 baht and the hassle of getting a bank account in Thailand not worth it? Is it easier to just show income in my home country? I was just going to open a bank account in Thailand and deposit the 400,000 baht, but that may or may not be a headache in the time allotted (especially if the banks are being hardheaded about it).

If you want to use the 40K pm income method, which is better than the 400K bank deposit method, you cannot use your US bank statements. You need to get a letter from the US Embassy in Bangkok that certifies how much your monthly income, in USD, is. The US Embassy don't need proof as you are self certifying.

• Like 1

You can do an income affidavit at the US embassy to prove your income to apply for an extension of stay based upon marriage. 

You might still want to consider opening a bank account to transfer your income into. Bangkok Bank would be a good choice since you can have your money transferred directly to your account via their New Your branch as domestic transfer. You should find it easier to open an account since you are married to a Thai since they can act as your reference to open an account. If using the income option you could easily set up a joint account.

Do i just need to show some current paystubs from US employer to the US embassy to verify income? If I use this method, does the affidavit need to be renewed often, or become an issue for 90 day reporting? I plan to stay about 4 years in total, and would probably just transfer money into my wife's account, have done it before using TransferWise, but not sure if it would be better doing it thru Bangkok Bank.....though TransferWise went pretty well, and the exchange rate was pretty decent(I think it was $1000 sent as 1 USD = 35.04 baht, total deposited in her account was 34520 baht, so $14.84 charge - so 1.484%).

58 minutes ago, ocddave said:

Do i just need to show some current paystubs from US employer to the US embassy to verify income? If I use this method, does the affidavit need to be renewed often, or become an issue for 90 day reporting? I plan to stay about 4 years in total, and would probably just transfer money into my wife's account, have done it before using TransferWise, but not sure if it would be better doing it thru Bangkok Bank.....though TransferWise went pretty well, and the exchange rate was pretty decent(I think it was $1000 sent as 1 USD = 35.04 baht, total deposited in her account was 34520 baht, so $14.84 charge - so 1.484%).

You do an affidavit at the embassy and swear that it is true and correct in front of a consular officer. No proof is needed when you do it.

You will only need a new income affidavit once a year when you apply for an extension.

The fee for a transfer up to $2000 via Bangkok Bank's branch in NY would be $5 there and 200 baht when received here.

Sound like the income verification is better than letting 400,000 baht just sit in a bank for 4 years.

So about $11 for $2000, but what is their exchange rate? That $14.84 i quoted is the total cost for transferring, but if Bangkok Bank gives a lower exchange rate, effectively they would charge more. I'll probably test it anyway, but its sounds good so far.

You get the mid rate using Transferwise, less there fee. It is probably one of the best deals out there. You put in how much you want to send and you see immediately exactly how much you will receive. I like using Transferwise. They are good people to deal with.

https://transferwise.com/mid-market-rate?utm_source=currency-converter&utm_medium=footer

13 minutes ago, vogie said:

As a British national will bank statements be enough proof of my pensions for the British Embassy, if so how many copies are required?

The will accept bank statements showing the funds coming into your account. Only one copy will be needed.

See here for info: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

5 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

The will accept bank statements showing the funds coming into your account. Only one copy will be needed.

See here for info: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/how-to-obtain-a-pensionincome-letter-for-thai-immigration

Thanks Joe, just read the info on the link and at the bottom of the form it asks "do you have insurance" what does this mean please?

19 minutes ago, vogie said:

Thanks Joe, just read the info on the link and at the bottom of the form it asks "do you have insurance" what does this mean please?

It is a survey the embassy is doing. It will not effect you getting the letter.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, vogie said:

Sorry, but just remembered that my state pension gets paid into my Thai bank acc, whilst my private pension gets paid into my HSBC acc in the UK, will a bank statement from both banks suffice?

Not sure they will accept your Thai bank account. They might think you are showing the same funds twice.

It would be best if you could show proof of your pensions.

1 hour ago, vogie said:

Sorry, but just remembered that my state pension gets paid into my Thai bank acc, whilst my private pension gets paid into my HSBC acc in the UK, will a bank statement from both banks suffice?

• The Embassy letter needs to confirm your income in GBP so the Thai bank book probably won't be enough.
  • The HSBC bank statement would suffice as proof of the private pension income if it's in GBP.
  • If your private pension income is enough to meet the 65K baht pm (assuming you're applying for a retirement extension) you could just use that.

2 minutes ago, vogie said:

No I'm/will be applying for an extension for marriage. Will they take an house rental in the equation, if so what would the total amount of the rent and pension have to be?

Proof of income, what you spend it on later rent etc, is not relevant. You can spend 40k a month on beer, up to you

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, vogie said:

No I'm/will be applying for an extension for marriage. Will they take an house rental in the equation, if so what would the total amount of the rent and pension have to be?

• The UK Embassy will take any income that you can prove. So rental income could be used.
  • A letter or document confirming you state pension would be good enough.
  • Immigration use the exchange rate on the day you apply. The GBP income needs to be equivalent to at least 40K baht pm based on the prevailing exchange rate.
  • Taking todays Bangkok Bank rate of 44.61 you would need a letter from the Embassy confirming income of at least £897.
Edited by elviajero

43 minutes ago, elviajero said:
  • The UK Embassy will take any income that you can prove. So rental income could be used.
  • Immigration use the exchange rate on the day you apply. The GBP income needs to be equivalent to at least 40K baht pm based on the prevailing exchange rate.
  • Taking todays Bangkok Bank rate of 44.61 you would need a letter from the Embassy confirming income of at least £897.

Thanks for the reply. Where would I get the letter confirming my state pension? I can't remember getting any such details off the pension people before.

5 minutes ago, vogie said:

Thanks for the reply. Where would I get the letter confirming my state pension? I can't remember getting any such details off the pension people before.

You could try calling the GOV.UK  International Pension Centre (for retirees living abroad) Telephone: +44 (0) 191 218 7777. Maybe thane could issue you a letter confirming you're in receipt of state pension and the amount.

• Like 1

OK, can someone confirm that I have this right? I am going to Thailand for 4 years, to be with my Wife and newborn child, and with more than likely only one single trip back to the US each year, staying in the US for about 3 weeks each time(so I can keep my job and weekly paycheck - which is proof of income). 

1) Have ticket for one-way travel to Thailand from US

2) Applying for 90 day single entry Non-Immigrant "O" Visa "Marriage". (Thai Embassy - Washington DC)

• Visa Form (Non-Immigrant - Reason for stay "Thai Family (Spouse/Child)" - Number of entries requested "1" - Length of stay requested "90 days")
  • Copy of Flight Itinerary
  • 2 passport size photos.
  • My US bank statement
  • My US passport
  • US marriage certificate (Certified)
  • Copy of Wife's Thai Passport (Not-certified, I dont see any requirement on thaiembdc.org site for certification)
  • Copy of Wife's Thai ID Card (Not-certified, I dont see any requirement on thaiembdc.org site for certification)
  • $80

3) Will apply with TM7 for extending 1 year intervals. (In-Person Thai Embassy Bangkok)

• TM7 Report.
  • 2 Passport Size photos.
  • Need copy of Kor Ror 22.
  • Need Income Affidavit from US Embassy, or 400,000 baht in Thai Bank Account for 2 months.
  • Map to residence in Bangkok.
  • Possibly photos of our residence and family.
  • 1900 baht.

4) 90 Day Reporting. (In-Person at Thai Embassy Bangkok, or via Online website)

• TM47 Report, or do report online.

5) Will apply for rentry once per year on TM8 (In-Person, at Airport/Or Thai Embassy Bangkok)

• TM8 Report.
  • 2 Passport size photos.
  • 1000 baht.

Hopefully I have this right...

@ocddave.

• You apply for an extension of stay, make 90 day reports and buy re-entry permits at the local Immigration Office that covers the area of your address, not a Thai Embassy. Thai Embassies only exist in foreign countries.
  • Passport photo size varies. The requirement is 6 x 4 cm.
  • I suggest you double check here, or at your local office, what is required for the extension of stay once you're in Thailand. If you use the 400K method you also need a letter from your bank confirming the balance.
  • Immigration are hot on the owner/housemaster reporting all foreigners so someone should do that when you first arrive using form TM.30. And, depending on the office you apply at, they might need it again when you apply for the extension.

7 minutes ago, elviajero said:

@ocddave.

• You apply for an extension of stay, make 90 day reports and buy re-entry permits at the local Immigration Office that covers the area of your address, not a Thai Embassy. Thai Embassies only exist in foreign countries.
  • Passport photo size varies. The requirement is 6 x 4 cm.
  • I suggest you double check here, or at your local office, what is required for the extension of stay once you're in Thailand. If you use the 400K method you also need a letter from your bank confirming the balance.
  • Immigration are hot on the owner/housemaster reporting all foreigners so someone should do that when you first arrive using form TM.30. And, depending on the office you apply at, they might need it again when you apply for the extension.

My wife owns her own condo, and soon we will be moving into our new Townhouse we just bought, so does my wife need to report with a TM30?

5 minutes ago, ocddave said:

My wife owns her own condo, and soon we will be moving into our new Townhouse we just bought, so does my wife need to report with a TM30?

Yes your wife should complete the report. It can be done, in person, by an agent or by post. If reporting by post include a stamped return envelope so you get a receipt.

• 3 weeks later...
On 22 August 2016 at 3:01 PM, elviajero said:

How would I prove my monthly rental income, would it have to be a letter from the letting agents or would a copy of my bank statement suffice?

15 minutes ago, vogie said:

How would I prove my monthly rental income, would it have to be a letter from the letting agents or would a copy of my bank statement suffice?

You show bank statements that shows the money going into your  account.