Update on Samui Immigration needs for Retirement Extension August 2016

Oh holy shit,,,, you really have it bad down there in the tourist-swamp!! Up here in Khon Kaen no problem really, no maps, no health-certificate and nice staff.,,

Plse tell us, is this something you guys deserv e down there, or are they just pissed over all falangs??

Glegolo

• Like 2

9 hours ago, glegolo said:

Oh holy shit,,,, you really have it bad down there in the tourist-swamp!! Up here in Khon Kaen no problem really, no maps, no health-certificate and nice staff.,,

Plse tell us, is this something you guys deserv e down there, or are they just pissed over all falangs??

Glegolo

I guess it's just the small price we pay for living in our island paradise

• Like 2

10 hours ago, VirgoSG said:

My original Non-Imm O-A Visa was in an old passport, which I also copied and took with me (same as for my previous 2 annual extensions).  This year they insisted they do a "transfer" (actually a notation) to my current passport  for THB500.  Although I was quite happy with the prior arrangement, I couldn't be bothered to argue.      

Total scam - there is no fee for the transfer of an extension to a new passport,(as you said, the visa is not transferred, just a notation - but still free).

Thank you Virgosg for comprehensive details of Samui retirement extension requirements. My original non-immigrant visa was also in an old passport which was stolen, but I've had two extensions since then with no problem. Do you know if this might be a problem in future?

Did mine 10 days ago in Hua Hin. All I needed was my passport, photos, income letter from British Embassy, 'blue book' for my address and 1900 baht. In and out in less than half an hour.

Thumbs up for Hua Hin immigration.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, pennine said:

Thank you Virgosg for comprehensive details of Samui retirement extension requirements. My original non-immigrant visa was also in an old passport which was stolen, but I've had two extensions since then with no problem. Do you know if this might be a problem in future?

I can't really say.  Who knows, when dealing with Samui IO.  

I've always shown my old passport before, with the original non-imm visa.  But if you've not had to, hopefully you'll be okay

There process and requirements are out of line with  Chaengwattana which is the Headquarters for Thai immigration. I hope people report them to the Immigration or corruption hotline.  There is no fee to transfer anything from one passport to another and there should be no hospital fee as a medical is not required. 

• Like 2

On 8/19/2016 at 11:42 AM, HHTel said:

Did mine 10 days ago in Hua Hin. All I needed was my passport, photos, income letter from British Embassy, 'blue book' for my address and 1900 baht. In and out in less than half an hour.

Thumbs up for Hua Hin immigration.

No request to have your income letter certified by the Thai MFA???

That's something that some HH folks have been reporting lately...

On 8/19/2016 at 1:46 PM, Thaidream said:

There process and requirements are out of line with  Chaengwattana which is the Headquarters for Thai immigration. I hope people report them to the Immigration or corruption hotline.  There is no fee to transfer anything from one passport to another and there should be no hospital fee as a medical is not required. 

That's right, and, it's one thing for the Samui Immigration folks to blatantly depart from the standard Immigration rules nationwide. But obviously, they apparently have no concern about doing so, since instead of keeping their stuff under the table, they've helpfully printed out a document to show everyone just exactly how they're flouting the rules. :whistling:

Also, have to wonder, why they're wanting some kind of proof of residence when, presumably, everyone doing extensions of stay with them is already having to do reporting of their address every 90 days anyway.

• Like 2

Indeed, the picture isn't juicy in detail.

On 8/19/2016 at 6:12 AM, glegolo said:

I promise you, the sun will continue to shine and the booze will still be there, even if you open up your eyes....

Good luck..

Glegolo

Nice.

29 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's right, and, it's one thing for the Samui Immigration folks to blatantly depart from the standard Immigration rules nationwide. But obviously, they apparently have no concern about doing so, since instead of keeping their stuff under the table, they've helpfully printed out a document to show everyone just exactly how they're flouting the rules. :whistling:

Also, have to wonder, why they're wanting some kind of proof of residence when, presumably, everyone doing extensions of stay with them is already having to do reporting of their address every 90 days anyway.

Maybe this is a test of their latest upcoming Foreigner Jumping Hoops idea from one of their committee meetings, and they're using Samui as their petri dish for pushing out their prototype creation....

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, michemiche said:

You said :
" printed out a document to show everyone just exactly how they're flouting the rules. "
Is it that document ????
Becoz honestly, this doesn't say any thing really...

post-154100-0-30694500-1468487447.jpg

Wrong about that.

If you look at item #8, it specifies that they're demanding a hospital medical certificate as part of the application process for a retirement extension. That is NOT a requirement for a retirement extension in Thailand.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Wrong about that.

If you look at item #8, it specifies that they're demanding a hospital medical certificate as part of the application process for a retirement extension. That is NOT a requirement for a retirement extension in Thailand.

At Samui Immigration, YES IT IS.....

13 minutes ago, michemiche said:

Have we any choice ????? Its their rules here, and we have to follow it !

Don't worry. Not one person will refuse to do the medical. They just like a little moan and then state that Cambodia as from next month let's you stay 3 years.:coffee1:

23 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Wrong about that.

It clearly is in Samui.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Yes, but it's NOT part of the national rules specified by the Immigration Bureau for retirement extensions.

So by Samui making that a written requirement for their office, they're simply documenting how they're specifically NOT abiding by the national rules.

Are you confident that you know all the rules that every office are under from a national, regional or local level?

• Like 1

There is a standard set of requirements for various Immigration things, including Retirement Extensions, that are promulgated by the national Immigration HQ.

That's the reason there's a standard 65,000 or 800,000 baht financial requirement at every office across the country. That's the reason the standard age for retirement extensions is age 50 or older. That's the reason people have a choice of Thai bank deposits or consular income letters.

There is nothing in the national rules for retirement extensions regarding a required hospital medical certificate. And in fact, Samui is perhaps the only, or if not, one of the very few Immigration offices, that has such a requirement. That in and of itself ought to make the situation clear. They're simply making up their own ad hoc rules.

How customers at the Samui Immigration office choose to respond to that, is up to them.

43 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

There is a standard set of requirements for various Immigration things, including Retirement Extensions, that are promulgated by the national Immigration HQ.

That's the reason there's a standard 65,000 or 800,000 baht financial requirement at every office across the country. That's the reason the standard age for retirement extensions is age 50 or older. That's the reason people have a choice of Thai bank deposits or consular income letters.

There is nothing in the national rules for retirement extensions regarding a required hospital medical certificate. And in fact, Samui is perhaps the only, or if not, one of the very few Immigration offices, that has such a requirement. That in and of itself ought to make the situation clear. They're simply making up their own ad hoc rules.

How customers at the Samui Immigration office choose to respond to that, is up to them.

The published police orders are minimum standards. IMO they are only good for knowing what extensions of stay are available because the supporting documentation and additional requirements change, and are dealt with differently nationally.

Asking for additional supporting documents are within the power of immigration. That is evident. Where does it say in those standard rules that additional documents cannot be requested. There is nothing in the rules about home visits for marriage extensions and yet that's common place these days.

The one constant we know is that requirements can change year on year and from office to office. We have to accept the fact and give them what they want. There's no point whinging about it, or making claims that they are all working outside their authority, especially when you are not privy to all immigration orders.

It looks like Samui publish a list of requirements and that is the only list anyone applying there should worry about. What happens in Nakhon Nowhere is irrelevant.

Edited by elviajero
  • Like 2

Obviously, the fact that the medical certification is pretty much ONLY required by Samui, and not by any other (or hardly any other) Immigration offices, is lost on you. Hope you get your Immigration honor badge from the folks there.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

17 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Obviously, the fact that the medical certification is pretty much ONLY required by Samui, and not by any other Immigration offices, is lost on you. Hope you get your Immigration honor badge from the folks there.

Personally I think it's a stupid unnecessary requirement. I'm not sticking up for immigration but simply stating the obvious!

You seem convinced, over multiple topics, that immigration offices and officers are working without authority, which corruption aside, isn't the case.

What seems lost on you is that you have no idea why medicals are being requested on Samui, who ordered them and from what level the order came, yet you claim that just because it's not written in an order that you've seen it's without authority. People getting non 'O-A' visas in their home country need to have a medical so it's not exactly a first. 

Edited by elviajero

Visas issued by Thai consulates abroad are NOT the same requirements as extensions issued by Immigration, and most people here fully understand that.

Visas issued abroad for retirement also require police clearances from the applicant's home country. Retirement extensions through Thai Immigration do not, not in Samui, and not in any other office either.

The only comparable analogy would be if the Thai consulates in the U.S. required medical certifs and police clearances, while the Thai consulates in the UK did not.  But it doesn't work that way. They all have pretty much the same requirements because they follow the same rules adopted by the MFA...

Just as most Immigration offices follow the rules adopted by Immigration HQ without throwing in added requirements, except for Samui and a few others with different quirks. That doesn't make them right.

BTW, for someone who think the hospital cert being required by Samui is a "stupid unnecessary requirement," you're going to pretty great lengths to defend it.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1