CDC asked to make it clear senators' right in nominating next PM

webfact

CDC asked to make it clear senators' right in nominating next PM

1808004-wpcf_728x410.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) should make it clear without any doubt the issue about the right of the senators in selecting or nominating the next prime minister when the committee amends the draft charter to accommodate the attached question which was endorsed in the August 7 referendum, said Mr Somkid Lertpaitoon, a member of the National Legislative Assembly, on Thursday.

While offering no comment to the proposal of NLA vice president Surachai Liangboonlertchai that the CDC should amend the draft charter in a way that would allow senators to not just select but to nominate the next prime minister, the Thammasat University rector said the issue needs to be cleared up once and for all by the CDC.

He admitted that, before the referendum on August 7, the NLA did not expect there would be this issue – about whether senators have the right to nominate the next prime minister as do the MPs.

But when the issue was raised after the referendum, Mr Somkid said the CDC should make it clear when it amends the draft charter. He said if the CDC does not make it clear now writing it in the draft, the issue will re-emerge in the future by a new crop of senators.

He predicted that the issue would be put to rest by the Constitutional Court.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cdc-asked-make-clear-senators-right-nominating-next-pm/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-19

The old television show   '  All In The Family  '   or Don Corleone's   "  it's a family affair.  '

The govt picks the senators and they return the favour.

I would say Quid Pro Quo but quid's the wrong currency so is it

Baht Pro Quo  ?   :whistling:

3 minutes ago, JAG said:

Call me naive, but shouldn't this question  have been debated/discussed /resolved/explained before the people were asked to vote on it?

Oh yes but that's getting close to something called democracy and that won't do will it   ?

It's not a question of rigging anything just wanting to know the outcome in advance.

59 minutes ago, JAG said:

...but shouldn't this question  have been debated/discussed /resolved/explained before the people were asked to vote on it?

Obviously not (in their opinion) - "...the NLA did not expect there would be this issue – about whether senators have the right to nominate the next prime minister as do the MPs...".

At least now, they can argue that the countdown to elections remains on hold until the CDC completes its work, AND it then goes to the Constitutional Court for their pontification! 

1 hour ago, JAG said:

Call me naive, but shouldn't this question  have been debated/discussed /resolved/explained before the people were asked to vote on it?

I will resist the temptation and will not call you naive, you are however dangerously close to offering logical; sensible; rational; practical and democratic solutions/suggestion.

And as you well know that type of talk is simply not allowed here. How dare you bring your "western" values here, it is clear you have misunderstood the current situation, please prepare a small case (sufficient for 7 to 10 days) someone will be around.soon to "invite" you for a short break.

1 hour ago, BigBadGeordie said:

I will resist the temptation and will not call you naive, you are however dangerously close to offering logical; sensible; rational; practical and democratic solutions/suggestion.

And as you well know that type of talk is simply not allowed here. How dare you bring your "western" values here, it is clear you have misunderstood the current situation, please prepare a small case (sufficient for 7 to 10 days) someone will be around.soon to "invite" you for a short break.

Thank you for resisting the temptation "Geordie", and I stand sheepishly reprimanded. 

I have in the course of a long and mostly inglorious military  career ( sadly one in which I failed to make any "wise investments" ), been called many things. Two of the most memorable are when as a young recruit I was referred to by a man with a loud voice, incredibly shiny boots and a very red face as" that little fat spunkbubble in the rear rank", and subsequently described as "an anthropological throwback from Poggles Wood". I and three others were jailed for an hour for bursting into laughter at that one! Happy days!

That's perhaps one reason why I cannot take any military totally seriously! 

8 hours ago, Thechook said:

Senators hand picked and appointed by the current regime.  Well done Prayuth you have just been elected unopposed.

They will mostly be active and retired generals dressed up in suits hand picked by the current regime. The generals now are even considering forming their own political party for the election should it ever happen. They will expose the hand they are playing more fully after the election. Welcome to China 2016 and onward. If the people are given true freedom of choice well you only need to look at what happened in Burma. The military thought they had the election sewed up and well then the roof fell in at the ballot box. The Thai elite have learned from that lesson as well. 

Edited by elgordo38

9 hours ago, Thechook said:

Senators hand picked and appointed by the current regime.  Well done Prayuth you have just been elected unopposed.

His job is not done yet, he needs to keep flushing the device until all the corruption has been put down the tube !!

The only loses I have seen or heard about are the ones who were in the corrupt former governments !!

Been here 13 years and things are getting better. More attention to Education and less worry about Tourist. Straighten your house before you invite guest !!

Far too many members of the legislature for a Country and Population 73M.

Of course my dear wife spends every bit of the 3M THB I receive and 7% plus additional VAT goes into the cost of the MP and all those pretty uniforms every body wears, while there is  poor education and poverty in most regions.

5 hours ago, gchurch259 said:

His job is not done yet, he needs to keep flushing the device until all the corruption has been put down the tube !!

If that were to happen, then he would be heading down a sewer pipe toward the Gulf of Thailand with all the other refuse... :coffee1: