Shut down! Saphan Kwai raid finds underage pole dancers and sex for sale

webfact

Shut down! Saphan Kwai raid finds underage pole dancers and sex for sale

p2.jpg

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK: -- A large raiding party of police, soldiers and social services hit two bars in the Thai entertainment area of Saphan Kwai in northern Bangkok last night.

The lights were turned on at "The Best" and "Haarlem" causing some staff to run for cover, reported Daily News. Both were found to be in contravention of regulations and were immediately ordered shut for five years.

Evidence had been gathered on previous undercover visits that there were underage girls employed, illegal foreigners and sex for sale.

The raiding party found "go-go" dancers who were scantily clad - some were even naked.

At "The Best" was a 16 year old Laotian girl and eight other girls, some of whom manage to flee.

At "Haarlem" the raid uncovered a 17 year old girl from Myanmar and 23 others offering sex.

A sign in the toilets said: "Girls must dress provocatively - if not wages will be docked".

All girls were rounded up and had their history checked as investigations began to find out who was behind the illegal operations.

Charges including human trafficking are expected in the matter. But bars were immediately shut for five years.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-19

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The raiding party found "go-go" dancers who were scantily clad - some were even naked."

Quite shocking really, this sort of nonsense would never be allowed in the more respectable farang touristy areas such as Nana, Soi Cowboy and the glittering, police protected, pole polishing palaces of pulchritude in Pattaya, Patong and Patpong...:facepalm:

1 minute ago, thai3 said:

so only foreign gals nabbed then 

"At "Haarlem" the raid uncovered a 17 year old girl from Myanmar and 23 others offering sex."

I expect there were a number of Thais among the select 23...........

All mainly linked to big crackdown on lao & burmese illegal workers in select areas .
Patpong, asiatique & pratunam also had lot of visits/raids with military overseeing the police .
burmese & lao are easy pickings, while bigger thai players will fade away & be forgotten or reinvent business within 2 months .

55 minutes ago, clockman said:

The height of hypocrisy! Anywhere in Thailand this goes on.

Here we go. At least the present incumbents are doing something to stop their country being forever named The World's Brothel. IF it irks (most of you), it's about time you faced up to yourselves, or do something positive in this country and stopped with the 'well I'm helping the girl's poor peasant farmers who'd otherwise STARVE'. Set up a meals on bloody wheels then. <deleted>.

58 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

"At "Haarlem" the raid uncovered a 17 year old girl from Myanmar and 23 others offering sex."

I expect there were a number of Thais among the select 23...........

When before boarding a Thailand bound 'plane many years ago, I was asked by a Vietnamese flight attendant 'Why do you want to there? You like prostitutes?' So yes. Of course there were bloody Thais.

2 hours ago, clockman said:

The interesting part about this raid is that saphan kwai is largely the haunt of thai men….only a handful of veteran farangs venture there.

If you don't speak thai its hard to get your game on there.

2 hours ago, clockman said:

A twist - Twenty + years ago a male farang work colleague and his Thai male work colleague, both gay, went to this area very regularly, not for the girls, but for the young male drink waiters who were also available for 'off'.  Whether the male waiters were Thai and of legal age I have no idea.  I recall they mentioned:  1). Much cheaper 'off' fee.  2). Waiters can leave at anytime after being 'offed' and not expected to return to the bar the same evening. 3). Much smaller expectations of tips.

Edited by scorecard

1 hour ago, dageurreotype said:

When before boarding a Thailand bound 'plane many years ago, I was asked by a Vietnamese flight attendant 'Why do you want to GO there? You like prostitutes?' So yes. Of course there were bloody Thais.

You don't do irony very well do you ? But you do have a liking for using the bloody word "bloody" in all your posts. Bloody well lighten up.

1 minute ago, JHolmesJr said:

The interesting part about this raid is that saphan kwai is largely the haunt of thai men….only a handful of veteran farangs venture there.

If you don't speak thai its hard to get your game on there.

How much Thai do you need to speak whilst flashing a 500 baht note? Pum pum or boom boom will suffice. Or just make your way to the nearest barnyard. Same same and not much different.

2 hours ago, taony said:

The couldn't bother to look in the even bigger place right across the street from Harlem nights?  mabye the 20 or 30 metres was too far for them.

More like the size of the brown envelope from the bigger place was enough for them.

1 hour ago, dageurreotype said:

Here we go. At least the present incumbents are doing something to stop their country being forever named The World's Brothel. IF it irks (most of you), it's about time you faced up to yourselves, or do something positive in this country and stopped with the 'well I'm helping the girl's poor peasant farmers who'd otherwise STARVE'. Set up a meals on bloody wheels then. <deleted>.

Mate, I'm afraid to say that SEX (big letters) is here to stay, every country has sex workers of one type or another....even the Vatican!! The money made by the people involved can come from no other way as the customers will move even if some venues are closed! You know, just like the "floating" card games that follow funerals everywhere in this country!   :thumbsup::wai:

19 minutes ago, dageurreotype said:

How much Thai do you need to speak whilst flashing a 500 baht note? Pum pum or boom boom will suffice. Or just make your way to the nearest barnyard. Same same and not much different.

its a predominantly thai male area…the gals are very poor at english…you can try and they'll take your money…but you will pay far more than the usual price and chances are you won't be able to communicate with the girl unless you speak at least half decent thai.

pesky aliens again. coming to the centre of the observable universe known as thailand and forcing themselves naked into respectable bars!! how dare they ruining Thailand's reputation of peaceful Buddhist country visited for its temples and natural beauty only.  Burmese and Laotian scum of the earth! 

This is going to be a big hit for a lot of businesses in the area.  I agree SK is an area that is predominately Thai and they really do not like it when you go in there unless you are a regular and just drink and spread money.  

I think the reasons for these raids as absolutely nothing to do with Prostitution, or sex.  What I think it has the most to do is with trafficking in minors and undocumented workers.

Thailand has been said has a lot of prostitution BUT has been busting it's ass to get a better rating when it comes to people trafficking and exploitation of minors.

Since Saphan Kwai has been around for a long time I think it is safe to say that the clubs were ok it was just that they found minors being possibly offered for sex that hit the button.

2 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"The raiding party found "go-go" dancers who were scantily clad - some were even naked."

Quite shocking really, this sort of nonsense would never be allowed in the more respectable farang touristy areas such as Nana, Soi Cowboy and the glittering, police protected, pole polishing palaces of pulchritude in Pattaya, Patong and Patpong...:facepalm:

Soi Nana

I stopped frequenting these sex places after All the Mamasans started calling me in first name terms. 

Just saying ......:clap2:

How come the police are active on this all of a sudden? I lived in this area for a long time and I have seen the police set up their check points right next to these bars almost every day in the past :blink:

I guess, all this will be soon coming to the foreign tourist areas as well. Shall we say 'So long to Nana Plaza, Kao San and other areas'???