Non-Immigrant Savannakhet Trip Report

I was just last week getting my new 1 year multi-entry from Savannaket and all went well accept they required a copy of my Wife's old house book with her maiden name or a copy of the name change document.  We had to scramble to find the document but was able to pull it from the cloud.  Just a tip.. if your wife has taken your last name make sure you include the name change form or both the old and new house book entries.

Kurt

• Like 2

I think somebody at the consulate was being overly pedant.

I guess I will have to add that to the list of requirements.

My wife has no name change document since it was mandatory she change her name when we got married (married before 2002).

2 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The marriage certificate only has the brides maiden name on it.

So as we have no copies of old tabien book where she was registered what are we supposed to use??? As far as we both know there was no name change document issued is there a document number for it

Edited by Deepinthailand

7 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

So as we have no copies of old tabien book where she was registered what are we supposed to use??? As far as we both know there was no name change document issued is there a document number for it

I think that most places would realize that a name change was not required for those that got married long ago.

I am not sure if it is required if the name change is done in conjunction with a marriage registration now.

One thing that could be pointed out would be your wife being shown as Mrs and your family name.

A Kor Ror 2 might help since it shows your wife ID card number on it. Also the back of your marriage certificate has the ID number on it.

I have not had a problem getting non-o visas and now 9 one year extensions based upon marriage.

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think somebody at the consulate was being overly pedant.

I guess I will have to add that to the list of requirements.

My wife has no name change document since it was mandatory she change her name when we got married (married before 2002).

Ubonjoe,

Just to confirm my wife's thai ID card and house book both have my last name on them.  We handed all the documents through the window and they were returned.  The consulate official claimed they could not process the request without the name change certificate but later agreed to accept a copy of her old house book which contained her maiden name.  

Maybe someone else can confirm that has recently been there.

Kurt

Copies of  two house registation books ? One an old book with the wife's maiden name and the current one, with her new family name ?

"Name change document". I didn't know such a document existed. We certainly don't have one.

It all seems unlikely. But "this is thailand" anything can happen. 

I just checked my usual set of documents for non-o marrige visa in savannakhet.

The marrige certificates have my wife's maiden name and the house registrstion and id card have my family name. But you can essily see that it is the same person because the ID CARD NUMBER IS THE SAME.

I don't know the background to why they did this, but it doesn't make sense. They must know that you look at the id card number, not the family name.

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I think that most places would realize that a name change was not required for those that got married long ago.

I am not sure if it is required if the name change is done in conjunction with a marriage registration now.

One thing that could be pointed out would be your wife being shown as Mrs and your family name.

A Kor Ror 2 might help since it shows your wife ID card number on it. Also the back of your marriage certificate has the ID number on it.

I have not had a problem getting non-o visas and now 9 one year extensions based upon marriage.

Ubonjoe,

My wife seems to think the Amphor will issue a name change form at any time.  Could this possibly work?

Kurt

Edited by kbelyeu

34 minutes ago, kbelyeu said:

Ubonjoe,

My wife seems to think the Amphor will issue a name change form at any time.  Could this possibly work?

Kurt

If the Amphoe would issue one for the name change done when your registered marriage that would work. Not sure they will do it though.

Yours is the first report I can recall of them asking for one. There was a recent post by a member trying to present one and it was not wanted.

I really think it was a one off occurrence by inexperienced employee at the consulate.

48 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

If the Amphoe would issue one for the name change done when your registered marriage that would work. Not sure they will do it though.

Yours is the first report I can recall of them asking for one. There was a recent post by a member trying to present one and it was not wanted.

I really think it was a one off occurrence by inexperienced employee at the consulate.

Yes, this is the most likely explanation. 

I remember when my wife changed to my name. We went to the district office with the marrige certificates and the house registration book. My wife told the offical that she wanted to change to her husband's name. The guy just crossed out her thai name and wrote in my name with a pen in the book. No forms to fill in, no stamps and no fee. It took about 10 seconds. (It might have helped that my name looks like a thai name when written with the thai alphabet.)

6 minutes ago, MZurf said:

Could someone please post the latest list of required documents for getting a non-O based on marriage in Savannakhet?

Marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

It has been the same for several years.

7 minutes ago, Deepinthailand said:

And a copy of name change if the original poster was correct which I suspect he was having only just been

That is the first and only report of it being asked for out of many.

If a person has one I would suggest they take it but don't show it unless asked for. Handing over things that are not needed can cause problems for the next person that applies.

Not sure how difficult it will be to get a name change certificate,

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

That is the first and only report of it being asked for out of many.

If a person has one I would suggest they take it but don't show it unless asked for. Handing over things that are not needed can cause problems for the next person that applies.

Not sure how difficult it will be to get a name change certificate,

Not difficult went to main Amphur KK explained problem all done in 5 mins 100 bht. did not get married there but is on computer.

Edited by Deepinthailand

1 hour ago, ubonjoe said:

Marriage certificate plus a copy, signed copies of your wife's house book registry and ID card.

It has been the same for several years.

Thanks, same as last year then. I met a guy in the consulate that told me I can download and fill in the application form in advance. Is this true?