Show me the money - Ayuthaya man in sit down protest at police HQ

rooster59

Show me the money - Ayuthaya man in sit down protest at police HQ

bang.PNG

Image: Daily News

BANGKOK:-- An Ayuthaya man and his family have appealed for justice from a bank and a major telephone company after a thief stole nearly a million baht from his account.

Phansuthee Meeleukit, 28, and his folks are fed up that the big businesses he trusted are not taking responsibility for his losses.

Though the bank has offered half the money the phone company is not even bothering to return his calls.

So the family went with their placards to complain at the National police Bureau on Rama 1 Road yesterday.

Some 986,000 baht was emptied from Phansuthee's account after a thief posed as him to get a sim card replacement in his name for own claimed to have been stolen.

Phansuthee claims that this was done without the necessary ID and should not have been supplied to the criminal. The sim card was then used to get a one time password to get into his internet banking account and empty it.

He was left with 58 baht.

He said the phone company had refused to talk to him while the bank said they would only compensate him with half. Neither the bank nor the phone company were named and any names on the placards were 'vaselined' out.

Police at HQ noted his complaint.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-20

One would hope that a police force would be urgently pursuing the thief.

But then again, the victim  was only left  with ThB 58, which is nowhere near enough to cover the "incidental expenses" of starting an inquiry. 

The Bank must have felt it was only half to blame,which I suppose

is correct,without the Telephone Company issuing a new Sim card

without due diligence,this would not have happened,so the Telephone

Company should cough up the other half,but I suspect they will not,

unless much more pressure is put on them.

Regards Worgeordie

45 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Regards Worgeordie

I agree there the telephone company is to blame too. But maybe the bank is not liable but just paid to get rid of bad publicity. 

However I wonder if what this guy states is all true. Just having someones phone does not mean you can get into his internet banking without a password.

I have kasikorn internet banking, and just the phone is not enough you need to have my password too to login. Unless the bank made mistakes issuing a new password i don't see the banks liability. 

You'd think they'd have cameras at the phone company where he got the sim. Finger prints too? Another victim in Thailand. This reminds me of that Phuket foreigner and kids who protested over losing their home. I wonder if they go justice. Land of Shysters...

Something doesn't add up, I use K-Bank and their K-Moblie banking on my phone.  Changing the passcode isn't as easy as calling the call center and requesting them to give you a new one over the phone.  You actually have to go to an ATM and use your ATM to card to reset it.

I was forced to this at least three times because the system was having issues and kept asking me to reset the passcode for mobile banking.

2 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Regards Worgeordie

the new sim has to registered with the bank first through an ATM,(kasikorn bank) so the thief would need access to the customers account, this requires the thief to know the customers bank account pin number, customer need to look closer to home for the thief i think 

Edited by dieseldave1951

1 hour ago, dieseldave1951 said:

the new sim has to registered with the bank first through an ATM,(kasikorn bank) so the thief would need access to the customers account, this requires the thief to know the customers bank account pin number, customer need to look closer to home for the thief i think 

Not at all, the new simcard has the same phone number as the one 'reported' as stolen.

3 hours ago, Alive said:

You'd think they'd have cameras at the phone company where he got the sim. Finger prints too? Another victim in Thailand. This reminds me of that Phuket foreigner and kids who protested over losing their home. I wonder if they go justice. Land of Shysters...

Of course all phone companies finger print their customers with the very latest technologies each time they visit the office. 

Come on now, finger prints - let's get real. 

3 hours ago, robblok said:

However I wonder if what this guy states is all true. Just having someones phone does not mean you can get into his internet banking without a password.

I have kasikorn internet banking, and just the phone is not enough you need to have my password too to login. Unless the bank made mistakes issuing a new password i don't see the banks liability. 

Same sim number as victim so the crook can phone the bank claim he has forgotten his password bank then sends password to the victim's phone and to the crooks as well. As the  crook supplies all the right details, date of birth, ID number etc, girl in the bank believes him.

As I said before the government's Prompt Pay will be even easier to cheat and when one losses their money it will be your problem not the bank's or the government's.

1 hour ago, Hawk said:

Same sim number as victim so the crook can phone the bank claim he has forgotten his password bank then sends password to the victim's phone and to the crooks as well. As the  crook supplies all the right details, date of birth, ID number etc, girl in the bank believes him.

As I said before the government's Prompt Pay will be even easier to cheat and when one losses their money it will be your problem not the bank's or the government's.

I have read (not sure its true) that there can only be 1 sim active of 1 phone nr at the same time. So that would mean the owner must have sensed that his phone was not working. Then they will not reset your access to the online banking over the phone (at least kasikorn does not do that) A user here just reported that and I also could not do it over the phone. 

So something is a bit strange here.. could be an other bank though.

4 hours ago, sahibji said:

bank should honour the loss suffered by their client through a fraudulent transaction.

5 hours ago, Alive said:

who said there wasn't any cameras at the phone company, and not everyone in Thailand has been or must be finger printed. Which means the culprit has never been arrested before. (Unless in your country its mandatory finger printing of all citizens, then I retract my comment).

If I understand this correctly the thief got a new SIM with the old phone number. Then went to the bank and asked them to sent the Log-On poassword to his phone since he had forgotten that.

With this information (he surely did now the name & account number) then he could access the internet banking. BUT NOW: This would ONLY allow him to transfer funds to another 3rd party account and this is traceable? So why are the transfers not traced? Was it send abroad? Anyhow something does not add up here.....

I read it was the Kasikorn and I read that the telephone company was the one that gave out a new sim based on a forged ID card. The question is how deep do telephone companies have to check. If it was a real good forgery is the telephone company then still liable.

The bank did give a one time password change by sms OTP (for those who are known with kasikorn). Kasikorn is going to change the rules and will make people come to their office if they want to change the password. (i think that is good because as we have seen sims can be asked and gotten).

Kasikorn offers 50%.. probably because they accept some liability.. but the phone company is where it all started. Though the guy himself is also responsible by giving out too much details. However these details copies of Thai ID cards are always asked by many organisations.. so that is a weakness. 

Good thing my sim is registered on a totally different name of someone i trust. 

18 hours ago, sioux2012 said:

who said there wasn't any cameras at the phone company, and not everyone in Thailand has been or must be finger printed. Which means the culprit has never been arrested before. (Unless in your country its mandatory finger printing of all citizens, then I retract my comment).

When a Thai citizen goes to the amphur office to make their ID card, fingerprints are taken. So yes most are already fingerprinted.