Smoked Out

thinkthink

you moved to a country where smoking is acceptable and the most profitable markets for big tobacco. Deal with it.

If you want go somewhere where you won't have to deal with this, buy/rent a condo in San Francisco. I live there 4 months out of the year and they prohibit smoking cigarettes, even on your balcony, or anywhere on the premises. You can smoke other things though without too much objection.

Your cost of living might increase SLIGHTLY :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, berybert said:

Doesn't smoke rise ?

It rises as long as the ambient air is cooler than the smoke is, or until it hits a barrier (like the ceiling).  Cigarette smoke also clouds, spreads as it dissipates, and lingers.  Ahh, the pleasures of condos and apartments...   Noise & smoke.   I think about the only things you can do are run fans, use air fresheners, and keep your aircon filters clean.

2 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Smokers should have the right to smoke. Non-smokers should have the right to breath smoke free air. The non-smoker doesn't have "more rights". 

Fans are cheap to run and two placed on the balcony in the correct positions should be able to keep the smoke out.

There is no such thing as a "right" to smoke, but there IS freedom of choice, so long as those choices don't put a burden on others..  And smokers are more & more being held responsible for the act of imposing their smoke on others.  It shouldn't be the non-smoker's burden to have to remove someone else's smoke.  As time passes, and smokers continue to carelessly afflict others with their filthy, unhealthy habit, laws are changing, regulations are becoming more burdensome, and taxes (and tobacco prices) are increasing.  Anti-smoking initiatives have become a big thing in politicians' toolchests.  All that said, Thailand isn't exactly on the cutting edge of these trends.  They pass laws and put up signs, which are then completely ignored by locals & foreigners alike.

10 hours ago, JHolmesJr said:

only solution IMO….although he might come over and kick you in the head for it. proceed with caution.

Highly unlikely. If he can smoke, you are well within your rights to use a fan. Great idea, in fact. Nothing he could do about that.

2 hours ago, tomyumchai said:

I used to get the rancid stench of balaa waft into the 20th floor every afternoon around 4pm. I couldnt pin it down to where it was coming from as most of the rooms around me were empty. At least it masked the stench from the russian smoking on the balcony above me. I sold up.

Cigarette smoke is much more pleasant than balaa. Balaa smells like a rancid, unflushed toilet.

Whilst I agree that plaa raa (often pronounced plaa laa) - has a nauseating smell,  it's smell is not a continuous thing. Once plaa raa has been eaten although the awful smell lingers, by opening windows and operating fans the smell can be dispersed.

Fermented fish eaters don't skoff it all day long. The same cannot be said for cigarette smokers. First thing in the morning one of these foul smelling things is ignited, followed by intervals of thirty minutes or so throughout the day until the smoker retires at night. One bloody fag after another. It's not a one off smell, it lingers all day - continuously fouling everything around it.

Smoking must be the most selfish habit on the planet. If someone had body odour or bad breath and it was pointed out to them I'm sure that they would try and rectify the problem. Point out to a smoker that cigarettes are just as unpleasant and they don't care, they think its their right to act as they do. Selfish bastards.

My old Thai neighbor liked to fire up the barbecue directly under my bathroom window or the deliver guy would park his two cycle motorbike with the exhaust filling my room. 

Some people are clueless meat sacks. If they had a brain, they would remove it and play with it. 

Just thank God the guy isn't frying up stinky tofu.  You'd be praying for some cigarette smoke to cover up that stench.  

Or that stuff they cook on the street that makes your eyes burn and throat close up just walking by...

Edited by impulse

11 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

There is no such thing as a "right" to smoke, but there IS freedom of choice, so long as those choices don't put a burden on others..  And smokers are more & more being held responsible for the act of imposing their smoke on others.  It shouldn't be the non-smoker's burden to have to remove someone else's smoke.  As time passes, and smokers continue to carelessly afflict others with their filthy, unhealthy habit, laws are changing, regulations are becoming more burdensome, and taxes (and tobacco prices) are increasing.  Anti-smoking initiatives have become a big thing in politicians' toolchests.  All that said, Thailand isn't exactly on the cutting edge of these trends.  They pass laws and put up signs, which are then completely ignored by locals & foreigners alike.

Yes, and with a bit of luck Thailand will soon embrace all the rules and regs enjoyed by Western countries.

I'm getting tired of people moving to (live in) Thailand, and then complaining that it doesn't have the myriad of rules/laws/safety regs. as the country they came from.

11 hours ago, hawker9000 said:

Good point.

I used to live next door to someone who dried fish on our neighbouring wall - the smell was disgusting.

Did I complain?  Of course not, it was part of living in Thailand.

Nowadays, I put up with smoke from fires (burning rubbish) frequently, which is far more acrid than tobacco smoke.

This thread reminds me of the 'cockerels waking me up' threads that used to abound!

11 hours ago, manarak said:

ok, how strong exactly can the smoke comeing from another balcony be ???

Thats a very subjective quantity !  It all depends on how physically sensitive the non smoker is to various exposures.

I have a problem with outdoor secondhand smoke from all the lowlife smokers in Pattaya.

Example: was walking along the beach this morning and some Chinese male ( part of tour group)

was up wind from me and of course smoking.

I inhaled some second hand smoke that caused me to cough.   

To the OP : Just look for another apt on top level on corner to reduce exposures. Unfortunately Thailand has a very 

high percent of lowlife cigarette smokers. Both the locals and foreigners. 

Edited by morrobay
add

16 hours ago, geriatrickid said:

If the smoke is that  heavy, then the smoker is also coughing up large wads of yellow phlegm. Where does he spit that stuff?

Rubbish.  I'm a pretty heavy smoker, but have never yet coughed up what you describe.  That's reserved (as far as I know) for those with colds.

32 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Thats a very subjective quantity !  It all depends on how physically sensitive the non smoker is to various exposures.

I have a problem with outdoor secondhand smoke from all the lowlife smokers in Pattaya.

Example: was walking along the beach this morning and some Chinese male ( part of tour group)

was up wind from me and of course smoking.

I inhaled some second hand smoke that caused me to cough.   

To the OP : Just look for another apt on top level on corner to reduce exposures. Unfortunately Thailand has a very 

high percent of lowlife cigarette smokers. Both the locals and foreigners. 

Oh great, someone else with psychosomatic symptoms :rolleyes:.

3 hours ago, mogandave said:

So I have the right to breath air not polluted by other people driving cars?

Do I also have the right to not hear babies crying, people laughing and music playing?

no doubt the haters see this as different...

Quite.  We all have different things that seriously annoy us.

Some poor sod trying to be considerate by smoking on the balcony is not one of them.  Turn on a fan <deleted> to move the smoke away!

During the hours he usually smokes on the balcony just  burn a few sticks of  patchouli incense on a little altar on your balcony. 

Oh, and before you light them, first wrap the incense with a bunch of human hair. That should keep him inside. 

4 hours ago, dick dasterdly said:

Rubbish.  I'm a pretty heavy smoker, but have never yet coughed up what you describe.  That's reserved (as far as I know) for those with colds.

Just wait for the lung cancer,and you'll be coughing up blood instead.

It baffles me how smokers can ignore simple statistics. 50% of smokers will die of smoking, via cancer, emphysema, COPD, heart disease or stroke. 50% of those will die before age 50.

Yes, there are smokers who defy the odds, and you may be one of them. It doesn't mean because you are one data point

in millions no other smoker coughs up phlegm. It's actually the mechanism of a body trying to protect itself from damage.

Back on topic, OP should move if it bothers him too much.The stress isn't worth it.

Edited by bazza40
Additional ninformation

On 8/20/2016 at 5:10 PM, JHolmesJr said:

only solution IMO….although he might come over and kick you in the head for it. proceed with caution.

No problem, keep a baseball bat handy, and if he comes too close to you when you tell him to wait,

hit him with it hard.

22 hours ago, The manic said:

in some countries you can not smoke if it can be smelled by neighbours - unfortunately Thailand is not one of them...

I like the idea of the burning rope or big fan as previously mentioned here.