Clarification on that acronym

KarenBravo

Hello all. Firstly, I'm straight, but, need to know more about the acronym LGBT.

Actually, the reason for the post is that I saw on the BBC news that they are now using LGBTI.

The I stands for intersex.

Frankly, I always thought the old acronym had one letter too many. Aren't lesbians gay? Doesn't gay mean homosexual?

If it does, why not just use the letter H instead of G and L?

What is intersex?

Thanks in advance.

I think KB's question is: "why the L?" I also have heard that lesbians call themselves gay. My guess is that someone thought it is a good idea to make a point that there are also females included, as most people only think about men when they hear the word gay.

And as for the question why not to just use H, my answer is this: "Homosexual" sounds very formal, to the extent that I heard in the past that it sounds clinical - a word a doctor would use. "Gay" is a popular word with a warm feeling, and that feeling we had work hard for. It was used as a derogatory word in the past, and decades of Gay Pride parades have changed it into a word with a positive meaning, something we can be proud of.

That's just my opinion.

33 minutes ago, KarenBravo said:

OK, thanks to both of you.

Though it seems to me the desire to be inclusive is going to make this acronym unwieldy which will lead to it's demise.

How about NEH? Non exclusive heterosexual.

Seems to cover everyone in LGBTI (not sure about the I).

We here on TVF have no say in the acronym. But my feelings is that I don't want the community be define via the heterosexuals, so I'd vote against your suggestions.

That it becomes longer and longer with time makes it unwieldy indeed. I am sure at one time somebody will come up with the new acronym which is actually a word you can pronounce... 

Reference is made to  African American Gay and Lesbian New York City Policeman’s Association (although, that’s a mouthful so we’ll just call it AAGLNYCPA). A satirical acronym used in the US TV series Brooklyn Nine-Nine.

• 2 months later...
On 10/25/2016 at 4:12 PM, LeilaLee said:

Ive always wondered why trans and now intersex is grouped in with LGB. One is gender identity and one is sexual orientation.

I think the idea is about building a political coalition (and cultural to a lesser degree) based very roughly on the idea of non-standard sexuality, whether orientation or gender i.d. 

It doesn't always work but think of it like Latinos in the U.S. Puerto Ricans are very different than Colombians but there is a grouping for political purposes.

• 1 month later...
On 28.10.2016 at 8:35 AM, Jingthing said:

I think the idea is about building a political coalition (and cultural to a lesser degree) based very roughly on the idea of non-standard sexuality, whether orientation or gender i.d. 

It doesn't always work but think of it like Latinos in the U.S. Puerto Ricans are very different than Colombians but there is a grouping for political purposes.

Right! Thanks for the clarification. That does make sense!

• 1 month later...