Local Police Home Checks

Pormax

I live in the province of Buriram.

Last week I had two visits to my house from the local police supposedly checking I actually lived where I said I was and secondly not working.

The first official came the day after a phone call to my wife.

On his visit he asked a number of questions required photocopies of my passport and driving licenses.

I had already received a visit from the Thai immigration early in the year after applying for an extension to my retirement visa.

A couple of days later another phone call saying that another officer would be calling at the house later that morning.

All he did was take photos of the outside of the house. Did not say anything.

Apparently a Norwegian guy (the only other Farang) living in the village had the same visits.

Anyone have an idea what this is all about. Is this happening in other parts of Thailand?

I live in the Uttaradit area and my wife had a visit one day that I wasn't home around 3 months ago. Same thing and all she had to do was give them a copy of my passport and they were happy. I was out bicycle riding at the time and actually saw them about a kilometre from home after they had  left. Gave me a toot and kept going so must have realised I was the one they had come to check on.

1 hour ago, Witblitz said:

Anyone have an idea what this is all about.

checking I actually lived where I said I was and secondly not working.

you have answered your own question 

Maybe I have, but I was wondering if there was another reason.

Been here for almost 6 years and never had this before.

Evidently they're worried about farangs that are claiming a retirement visa - but instead are working......Along with false marriages and addresses.....

It's doesn't seem unreasonable for them to check.....

Note sure what would happen if they happened by while someone was actively working on building an addition to their house.....

Edited by pgrahmm

27 minutes ago, transam said:

I had 4 visits where I am, and I have been attached to the Tourist Police in my area for many years......:rolleyes:

A hobbie Bobby mon ami ?....tell me you haven't put the flashing lights and other "police" markings on your V8 "truck" and you drag up and down your local red light district, as the tossers do in Pattaya...

1 hour ago, transam said:

I had 4 visits where I am, and I have been attached to the Tourist Police in my area for many years......:rolleyes:

I've read a few threads on this subject, but it seems to only happen in the areas with few Westerners?

Certainly, on Phuket I've never had the police visit - even when someone hanged himself (?) pretty much next to my house :(.

Edited by dick dasterdly

Other countries in south east Asia now offer up to 3 year visa up front and can even become an immigrant,

without all the ridiculous paper work and running back and forth to immigration forever,

yet foreigners continue to stay here and be humiliated.  Some have families here but majority have no roots here.

I have had the good fortune of never being at immigration as my employer takes care of paper work. I heard this

am that a friend of mine went there for 90 day report and he had to fill out a new form for the first time about his personal life.

I can only say that Thai immigration does not want you to stay in this country.  What does it take for this to sink in?

I had the same thing recently, first time in 10 years.

If everything is in order you have nothing to worry about.

Local policeman just said " new boss ask me to check details"

he took photocopy of my passport(front page) & Yellow Tabien baan and a copy of wifes ID card and her Tabien baan.

I had a visit from the police at my Buriram home about two years ago.  He told me they were checking up on all farangs in their area.

Coincidentally, I did NOT get a visit from Immigration when I last renewed my retirement status.  Rumour had it that they did not check those over 70.

I have no objection at all to these checks.  We all know that numerous foreigners are overstaying their visas, and committing other breaches of immigration law..... and quite frankly, I'm glad to see the back of them.  These are the people who make things worse for the rest of us, and who are the reason for police visits, immigration office checks and so on.

Charlie H, you say they took a photocopy of your documents, do they take a real photo copy from a machine or do they photograph them digitally? I must admit I would not fancy these people getting high quality electronic digital copies of any of my documents.

I think I would be getting myself some low quality black and whites off a local photocopier to dish out if the cops turned up.

1 minute ago, Generalchaos said:

Charlie H, you say they took a photocopy of your documents, do they take a real photo copy from a machine or do they photograph them digitally? I must admit I would not fancy these people getting high quality electronic digital copies of any of my documents.

I think I would be getting myself some low quality black and whites off a local photocopier to dish out if the cops turned up.

Why ?...they already have them on file anyway 

2 minutes ago, Generalchaos said:

They will take there own from your originals.

3 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

Evidently they're worried about farangs that are claiming a retirement visa - but instead are working......Along with false marriages and addresses.....

Note sure what would happen if they happened by while someone was actively working on building an addition to their house.....

I agree with you, if they would just do this all the time instead of these ridiculous 90 day reports. May I add these reports don't apply to me.

Edited by possum1931
adding a comma and another word.

2 hours ago, blackcab said:

But I don't hear of these visits in Bangkok, where there are lots of foreigners with extensions of stay.

Surely if you had limited resources you would concentrate them on the biggest target first?

That's too sensible for them.

3 hours ago, transam said:

how do you mean attached ??? please tell  like  helping them solve crime maybe

I had 3 men in brown visit me about a month ago up here in woop-woop . No prob. They filled in a form ,took a couple of pix and said they wanted to make sure I was ok as the only ferlung in town,  Good for them it means all at Imm. checks out and I would rather they came here than sit around at Imm.

4 hours ago, pgrahmm said:

I have been told working on your own home is allowed (Thai police officer) as long as the main builder employed is Thai. In fact last year I was busy laying bricks with the builder when 2 immigration officers turned up for a look see. Had a Chang with us had a chat a look round the finished section of the house. And left no problems at all.

2 hours ago, koolkarl said:

Other countries in south east Asia now offer up to 3 year visa up front and can even become an immigrant,

without all the ridiculous paper work and running back and forth to immigration forever,

yet foreigners continue to stay here and be humiliated.  Some have families here but majority have no roots here.

I have had the good fortune of never being at immigration as my employer takes care of paper work. I heard this

am that a friend of mine went there for 90 day report and he had to fill out a new form for the first time about his personal life.

I can only say that Thai immigration does not want you to stay in this country.  What does it take for this to sink in?

You will be leaving soon then bye

2 hours ago, koolkarl said:

Well actually immigration run to us.You have it all wrong,again.One 2 visits per year a month apart is the only time i go to them,for retirement extension.Used to be one trip.I would have to be bent over an immigration chair and reamed out before i go to Cambodia to live.

1 hour ago, Deepinthailand said:

You will be leaving soon then bye

For your info, I was transferred to this country by my employer who pays me a truck load of money to

be here. There are very few people in this world who do what I do.

And furthermore, I am being transferred again, to Japan.

Enjoy immigration.

7 minutes ago, koolkarl said:

For your info, I was transferred to this country by my employer who pays me a truck load of money to

be here. There are very few people in this world who do what I do.

And furthermore, I am being transferred again, to Japan.

Enjoy immigration.

As I said dreamer bye