Many Chinese tourists injured in bus crash in Phuket’s Patong beach again

webfact

Many Chinese tourists injured in bus crash in Phuket’s Patong beach again

phuket-wpcf_728x409.jpg

PHUKET: -- About 20 Chinese tourists were injured when the tour coach they were travelling in a developed brake failure and rammed at the rear of a van before crashing  into a temple wall as it was descending down a hilly road to Patong beach in Phuket last night.

The incident happened at 8.30 pm at the Patong hill road.

Patong police station’s police investigator Pol Maj Patapee Srichai said the police were alerted of the bus crash and traffic jam by witnesses last night on the road down the hill to Patong  beach.

Nobody was killed but a large numbers of Chinese tourists were injured.

Kusoltham charity foundation rescue workers and Patong hospital staff were later rushed to the scene and helped to transport all injured tourists to hospital.

Nobody was in serious condition but slightly hurt.

Interrogation of the bus driver revealed that he was driving the tourists back to their hotel on Patong beach after visiting the town.

As he was driving down the Patong hill to the beach, the braking system failed after turning a sharp curve.

The bus rammed at the rear of a van and a Jazz car before crashing into the fence wall of the Suwankiriwong temple.

The incident caused heavy traffic jam on the Patong beach road as the bus blocked the road where many vehicles used for travel to Patong and other beaches in Phuket.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/many-chinese-tourists-injured-bus-crash-phukets-patong-beach/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-23

6 minutes ago, madmitch said:

Looks like people have given up commenting on bus crash threads. So many of them, we can only repeat ourselves.

:clap2:  Maybe we'll just have to wait until the cause of the crash is reported as involving Pokemon.

Chinese Phuket tourists safe after runaway tour bus slams Patong temple wall

Eakkapop Thongtub

1471926177_2680-org.jpg

The driver brought the vehicle to a stop by ploughing it into the temple wall. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- More than 30 Chinese tourists were taken to Patong Hospital after the tour bus they were travelling on sped out of control down Patong Hill and crashed into the perimeter wall at Wat Suwankhiriwong (Wat Patong) just before 8pm last night (Aug 22).

In a video provided to The Phuket News, a motorbike rider narrowly escaped being run over by the bus seconds before the driver brought the vehicle to a stop by ploughing it into the temple wall.

Police arrived with Kusoldharm rescue workers to find the blue bus with its side crunched into the wall. The front of the bus was damaged and broken window glass was strewn across the road.

There were more than 30 Chinese tourists, including children, on the bus at the time of the accident.

“Most of them suffered scrapes and bruises, but there no serious injuries,” said Maj Patapee Srichai of the Patong Police.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/chinese-phuket-tourists-safe-after-runaway-tour-bus-slams-patong-temple-wall-58802.php

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2016-08-23

9 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Personally, I think the PM, or whatever you call the guy in charge, should use Section 44 or order new brakes put on ALL bus and minivans that cater to tourist.  Then all the drivers would have to find some new excuse to use.  

New brakes won't help is the driver rides the brakes all the way down the hill and does not use gear braking ...  clearly many of these bus drivers have never been educated in heavy vehicle driving techniques. Same going up hills, they attempt in a regular gear, bus stalls out, maybe rolls back, then they find the crawler gear.

Bus driver flees after Chinese tourists injured in crash

Phuket Gazette - 

pkt66.jpeg         

The police arrived to a bus-load of Chinese tourists crying and in shock. Photo: Winai Sarot

PHUKET: -- More than 30 Chinese tourists were injured when their tour bus crashed into the temple at the bottom of Patong Hill last night.

Police are hunting for the bus driver, who reportedly fled after ploughing into the wall of Wat Suwan Kiriwong, around 8:30pm.

"There was a lot of broken glass all around. A car and a van were also damaged in the collision," said Patong Police chief Pattapee Srichai.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Bus-driver-flees-Chinese-tourists-injured-crash/65441?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2016-08-23

11 minutes ago, LivinginKata said:

New brakes won't help is the driver rides the brakes all the way down the hill and does not use gear braking ...  clearly many of these bus drivers have never been educated in heavy vehicle driving techniques. Same going up hills, they attempt in a regular gear, bus stalls out, maybe rolls back, then they find the crawler gear.

Believe me, I know.  My comment was a sarcastic shot at "brakes failed", which is the typical response.  These people have absolutely no idea of how to drive a car, let alone anything bigger.  They don't know, because they have never been taught by qualified driving instructors.  And until they are, this stupidity will continue.

26 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

Believe me, I know.  My comment was a sarcastic shot at "brakes failed", which is the typical response.  These people have absolutely no idea of how to drive a car, let alone anything bigger.  They don't know, because they have never been taught by qualified driving instructors.  And until they are, this stupidity will continue.

Even if they were, the stupidity would continue anyway!!

Edited by metisdead
Please do not modify someone else's post in your quoted reply, either with font or color changes or wording.

39 minutes ago, Just1Voice said:

'qualified driving instructors' .... do these instructors exist in Thailand ?

I first drove light goods vehicles at a young age. My drive instructor made very clear that driving a diesel engine needs a very different technique from a petrol engine. Must always use engine braking.

At 21 I was driving a city double decker bus. Yes, I did get caught a couple of times misjudging my downhill speed and braking distance. And I always blamed the brakes ... I was young then, the company proved to me the brakes were Ok, I was reprimanded and learned from the error on my ways. But never caused a serious accident, just a light shunt once.

Patong Hill is notorious . Trucks and buses either break down on the way up or crash into the temple or its surrounding area on the way down or the road just gives way and collapses underneath you during heavy rain.  Im not religious but i do sometimes pray to buddha to get me over that hill without incident.

Perhaps a fraction of the money that they are spending on eliminating all opposition could be spent on o few heavy vehicle training facilities, with a big emphasis on up and down hill driving, this bus accident thing is going to start costing them big time soon.

1 minute ago, harada said:

Perhaps a fraction of the money that they are spending on eliminating all opposition could be spent on o few heavy vehicle training facilities, with a big emphasis on up and down hill driving, this bus accident thing is going to start costing them big time soon.

'this bus accident thing is going to start costing them big time soon' - why do think that ? The Chinese tourist is used to this at home. 

4 hours ago, LivinginKata said:

'qualified driving instructors' .... do these instructors exist in Thailand ?

I first drove light goods vehicles at a young age. My drive instructor made very clear that driving a diesel engine needs a very different technique from a petrol engine. Must always use engine braking.

At 21 I was driving a city double decker bus. Yes, I did get caught a couple of times misjudging my downhill speed and braking distance. And I always blamed the brakes ... I was young then, the company proved to me the brakes were Ok, I was reprimanded and learned from the error on my ways. But never caused a serious accident, just a light shunt once.

Qualified?  I'm in Sweden working and just got a number from another worker a driving school in Udon, where i get whatever Thai drivers licence i want for 4000bht

On 8/23/2016 at 5:07 PM, LivinginKata said:

These are usually out-of-town buses so I understand.  I am told that locals know how darned dangerous Patong hill is and have brakes maintained and know how to use gears appropriately to ascend & descend a steep windy hill.  Driving up there behind any bus at all scares the hell out of me.  So many inexperienced heavy vehicle drivers in Thailand do not know or understand how to change down soon enough on steep hills. Going down they are going too fast and overheat their brakes.  Going up they stay in too high a gear until they stall and then do not know how to hill start properly or the un-maintained brakes cannot hold them.  99% of these Patong bus accidents are down to lack of driving skills or lack of maintenance.

Edited by The Deerhunter