Leaving after a decade.

DennisF

1 minute ago, SgtRock said:

Here is your quote

The current Government makes my life here untenable almost on a daily basis

I would really like to know what the Government does to you almost on a daily basis to make your life untenable.

In a whole year my Governmental interactions consist of 1 x Traffic Stop and 4 x visits to immigration. 

No I stay because it is a great place to live and it saves me giving the UK Government an additional fortune in annual Tax.

I was a little more creative with my tax affairs, even living there would not be a tax burden for me.

Read the news if you want to learn how this unelected set of wannabes make life increasingly awkward for anyone

not in their club.

• Replies 565
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, DennisF said:

I am from the UK. No family here but had to end a beautiful

relationship.

Not a doctors daughter but not a bar girl either!

I just came back from the Philippines, nothing like anyone described to me previously.

I was staying at Olongapo (city) and Barreto (beach resort 15Km out), English Bars and Restaurants, real English food, Mexican restaurant .... all with good food. Almost all the foreigners I met in the resort were English. And nearly everyone spoke good English, way friendlier people than Thailand.

Bread was no good, but fish and chips, English breakfasts, meat pies, Cornish pasties and sausages all great. Resort accommodation was expensive 15k for a 1 bed apartment, city condos from 4,000 peso (1gbp = 60 peso). Filipino food much closer to English than Thai food, Meat and potato stews very common 65 peso at a local corner restaurant, burger in a bun with fries 55 peso. 

Transport cheap, about 1 peso per kilometer on a Jeepney, bus was cheap 240 peso Manila/Olongapo (20% discount for over 60s). Beer and alcohol much cheaper, small bottle of gin (330ml) for 50 peso (extremely drinkable with some tonic), Small beer/alcopops 30 peso in shops 50 in bars.

I was very surprised how much I liked the place.

You should give it a go.

Edited by MissAndry

4 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

I just came back from the Philippines, nothing like anyone described to me previously.

I was staying at Olongapo (city) and Barreto (beach resort 15Km out), English Bars and Restaurants, real English food, Mexican restaurant .... all with good food. Almost all the foreigners I met in the resort were English.

And nearly everyone spoke good English, way friendlier people than Thailand.

Bread was no good, but fish and chips, English breakfasts, meat pies, Cornish pasties and sausages all great.

Resort accommodation was expensive 15k for a 1 bed apartment, city condos from 4,000 peso (1gbp = 60 peso)

Transport cheap, about 1 peso per kilometer on a Jeepney, bus was cheap 240 peso Manila/Olongapo (20% discount for over 60s)

You should give it a go.

Never been to Olongapo but have done the Subic/Manilla/AC and Boracay journeys.

Infrastructure, brownouts and pretty harsh weather put me off.

I agree though, Phils is a lovely place.

After my sabbatical it is my intention to try HCMC for a few months, see how that pans out.

When are you going to tell us the real reason you are leaving?  It's not the government nor corruption (can't even remember why you were there or what office you were at so it must be something else.  What was it really - you can share.  Start off with, my name is Dennis and I used to like Thailand but then she..........

I am going to leave it like this.

OP no matter what anyone says it is your perspective that counts.

For me I have no issues then again I do not live in any of the areas you mentioned because I think they would drive me crazy.

ALL THE BEST TO YOU NO MATTER WHAT YOU DECIDE AND I HOPE THAT FOR YOU THE GRASS IS ACTUALLY GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE.

One question why are you leaving your gf?  could she not move with you if you go to Vietnam?

3 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

When are you going to tell us the real reason you are leaving?  It's not the government nor corruption (can't even remember why you were there or what office you were at so it must be something else.  What was it really - you can share.  Start off with, my name is Dennis and I used to like Thailand but then she..........

Agree, that always seems to be the case.  Either they got burned by a Thai woman, or some financial dealing(s) gone bad.  The OP can't put it all on the Thai government, those of us who actually live here know better.  The gov has about zero impact on our daily lives.  But I suppose it's a more grandiose excuse, like taking a stand against government overreach...or something along those lines.  Sure sounds better than "I got taken by some gold-digger for my life savings!"

1 minute ago, kingstonkid said:

I am going to leave it like this.

OP no matter what anyone says it is your perspective that counts.

For me I have no issues then again I do not live in any of the areas you mentioned because I think they would drive me crazy.

ALL THE BEST TO YOU NO MATTER WHAT YOU DECIDE AND I HOPE THAT FOR YOU THE GRASS IS ACTUALLY GREENER ON THE OTHER SIDE.

One question why are you leaving your gf?  could she not move with you if you go to Vietnam?

The latter is an option we are both considering but I am not certain about HCMC. Thats a reason for a sabbatical.

i went through a similar experience when i had been here about 6 years. i was reading alot of negative stuff about thailand on the net and it was really getting to me. the feeling did eventually pass as i got kind of numb to all the negative information. i also went through some issues with my work permit which took 2 years to sort out. 10 years in and i love thailand again especially since i stopped running my business. i am on a 3 month count down to leaving myself. sold all my property and just need to sell my pickup. my son turns 5 next jan and i want him to grow up in nz. will be back for holidays and retirement eventually. you may find that this feeling will pass if you can see past the negativity. great if you can go try another country for a while. i would probably choose philipines if i was going to try some  where else.

1 hour ago, DennisF said:

I am blaming no-one and exchange rates etc do not affect my ability to live here.

There has been, in my opinion, a shift in the atmosphere between foreigners and Thai people.

Maybe its just evolution but whatever it is, for me, its tangible.

Some of it is indeed my own perceptions and as a psychologist ( proper one) I can recognise these things!

The TV miseries do not bring me down at all, I find them rather sad to be honest and have no intention of joining that gang!

I too am on a retirement extension of stay and the hoops are not so bad, annoying sometimes but not a deal breaker!

I am most certainly not a whinging pom!!  Having lived in Aussie land for a few years, I too found them a pain in the butt!

Wait until you get back to the UK! There's being a shift in attitudes there too! So much so that they've decided to withdraw into their own isolation! Can't get any more xenophobic than that!!

It amazes when foreign nationals are vexed by the hoops they have to jump through. 

14 minutes ago, claffey said:

Wait until you get back to the UK! There's being a shift in attitudes there too! So much so that they've decided to withdraw into their own isolation! Can't get any more xenophobic than that!!

It amazes when foreign nationals are vexed by the hoops they have to jump through. 

I think quite often 'hoops to jump through' are the reason given, but underneath there are other, more compelling reasons.

44 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

I was staying at Olongapo (city) and Barreto (beach resort 15Km out), English Bars and Restaurants, real English food, Mexican restaurant .... all with good food. Almost all the foreigners I met in the resort were English. And nearly everyone spoke good English, way friendlier people than Thailand.

Bread was no good, but fish and chips, English breakfasts, meat pies, Cornish pasties and sausages all great. Resort accommodation was expensive 15k for a 1 bed apartment, city condos from 4,000 peso (1gbp = 60 peso). Filipino food much closer to English than Thai food, Meat and potato stews very common 65 peso at a local corner restaurant, burger in a bun with fries 55 peso. 

Transport cheap, about 1 peso per kilometer on a Jeepney, bus was cheap 240 peso Manila/Olongapo (20% discount for over 60s). Beer and alcohol much cheaper, small bottle of gin (330ml) for 50 peso (extremely drinkable with some tonic), Small beer/alcopops 30 peso in shops 50 in bars.

You should give it a go.

Each to their own. I lived and worked there 5 years, been away 10 years and wild horses couldn't drag me back. Pinoys are an immature and selfish people, awful.

That said, as always, one man's meat.....

1 hour ago, DennisF said:

My first wp was in Phuket where my lawyers and accountants had done all the paperwork, you obviously know the reams involved.

At immigration I was told by the IO it is not correct.

I replied he had not looked at anything.

He stated he could see it was 12000 bht not right.

Negotiations got it down to 4 but he did his extortion routine in full view and earshot of every person in the room.

Glad yours is better than that!

Well ... I have never ever used a third party for my Immigration extensions and Work Permits. I do it all myself and with help of my Thai wife. I would not trust any of these professional people to get it right. Good at charging fees, piss poor at results ...

Never had a problem at Immigration with my WP supporting paper work, mind you I had it all perfectly in order. It's just the officers condecending attitude dealing with us mere foreigners. Good god ... it their job and what pays for their salaries (and 'tips') ... but we are just not Thai. This is the sort of attitude that pisses me off living in Thailand. I pay my way, likely more tax than most Thais, yet many treat me like crap.

19 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

that always seems to be the case.  Either they got burned by a Thai woman, or some financial dealing(s) gone bad.  The OP can't put it all on the Thai government, those of us who actually live here know better.  The gov has about zero impact on our daily lives.  But I suppose it's a more grandiose excuse, like taking a stand against government overreach...or something along those lines.  Sure sounds better than "I got taken by some gold-digger for my life savings!"

True Berkshire. While I am not here to defend Thailand in any way shape or form, its not as bad as the OP and others are going on about but I do respect their sentiments. For me as a foreigner here I am glad not to be involved in the political system. I have zero impact on it and I am transparent in the big picture which is where I want to be. I just go about my life with little noise. Yes I work here, yes I pay Thai taxes but its moot because I had no expectations here to change anything but rather just live it for what it is. The OP stated he lived in Pattaya......Thats' another debate entirely. 

Also as someone posted most the people exiting are folks with children, I totally get it. My wife and I do not have children. In fact we do not even have any pets. we want total freedom to do what we want. My wife is a US citizen and we can leave at anytime but she lived in both places, I lived in both places and we just like it better here for a host of reasons. I think some key ways to stay happy and live a fruitful life here or anywhere for that matter is ignore the news, politics and religion. 

In the End he is leaving for his own reasons and I respect that, makes no difference to me one way or the other. I wish him the best. Clearly his thread has something hidden in it. 

Btw, out of curiosity, why do people post they are leaving Thailand or any country on any forum. I left the US but never hopped on a US based forum and said I am Leaving yaddy yaddy, I know if I was to leave, I would just leave. 

3 hours ago, Scotwight said:

Bets, that nothing negative has happened to you as a result of the new government.  I could be wrong and you are not just another whinging pom.  I'm interested really since nothing negative has happened to me outside of reading Thai Visa in the past two years.  Since it takes many straws to break a camels back it should be easy for you to list ten things the new government has done to you on a daily basis that made life untenable for you.

Until the OP answers this post hes just another whinging thai basher crying over nothing.

Thailand has changed quite a bit in a decade. Got more western with consumerism, mobile phone zombies, etc. Not many special things left. Having a base somewhere else and visiting for holidays makes more sense now than being an expat.

I think the OP is thinking too much while the Thais, who often tell you:  "Don't think too much"  may understand the actual meaning of thinking too much and how it effects your thinking...I think...lol

When you go back to your old destination or a new destination try not to think too much because you will be thinking a whole lot about Thailand as you will be comparing all too many things and many issues while thinking too much about what you do not like to think about while living were ever you are living.

Thailand is not for everyone while many people will leave after several years but living here is pretty interesting and  always stimulating and often entertaining ..but...in a bizarre sort of way......that you have to get used to and or tolerate...or you will be thinking too much.

Cheers

8 minutes ago, DrTuner said:

Thailand has changed quite a bit in a decade. Got more western with consumerism, mobile phone zombies, etc. Not many special things left. Having a base somewhere else and visiting for holidays makes more sense now than being an expat.

I'm sure in your case that is true.

OP you must travel safely and we hope to see you again n the future.

If one are retired here or married without working there will be no difference between now and before the coup. When in business in our area the economy has not been this bad for many years. The economic growth they are claiming are not here, it must be for big Bangkok companies - connected ones that tap into government contracts. The property market in HH is dead in the water (estate agents will always disagree because that their job) but both the Thai and foreign buyer market is terrible. Restaurants are closing down faster than what they can open them, in our street 3 have closed down in the last month. Vacant shops, condo's and houses are now common. Malls like Venezia are nearly empty but they are building the new Blu port mall. Night markets that was crowded before have a few people walking around. A friend of ours that was employed for 20 years by a big BKK company was retrenched this month, due to the lack of business. Other friends of the wife had a design and furniture shop in BKK and they were forced to close down 6 months ago - not enough business to carry the overheads. The neighbors across the road had to put their house up as security for a loan to keep their business afloat. Friends of ours in the central plain area have been farming on 200 rai which the grand father and father have bought up over their life time. They diversified their business into organic fertiliser production, fish farming and rice. But the drought and low commodity price have broken them and they are selling of parcels of land.  In general the economy is dead in our area and that is making people lose hope. The loss of hope is normally the last step before tempers flair up, lets hope its not bad this time.

I think the attached link describes the problem. Them one excludes the effect of tourism on the economy the Thai GDP would be in negative terrain. Unfortunately the tourism industry trends are leaning towards growing Chinese tourists numbers who visit certain areas and spend money in a different way than western tourist.  These tourist are enriching big hotels and tour operators and the money is not getting to the street vendors and guest houses. This is increasing the gap between the rich and the poor even further.

https://espresso.economist.com/211b39255232ab59ce78f2e28cd0292b

I arrived in 1986 and except for a few years back in the USA while my wife got US citizenship, have lived here and enjoyed life. I am currently back in Florida getting a new Pacemaker and dislike every minute of being away from Thailand. Can't wait to get back to my GF who is an ex-bar girl (and takes wonderful care of me) and my Thai in-laws. Governments come and go and restrictions will always be present. Even if I were younger I would not consider living elsewhere.

4 hours ago, robblok said:

I also feel zero difference same hoops to jump through for a visa. 

I think a lot could be in your head and as your a Brit the Brexit and resulting exchange rate would probably have affected you worse then anything else.

Just seems your blaming the goverment but can't identify what they did.. i find that strange. 

It's called TVF syndrome.If you get a big dose of it, it alters your perception.It only affects the weak willed and sheep.I have managed to avoid it so far as the real Thai world and people drag me back from the brink.The colours red and yellow seem to bring it on.

4 hours ago, DennisF said:

I am blaming no-one and exchange rates etc do not affect my ability to live here.

There has been, in my opinion, a shift in the atmosphere between foreigners and Thai people.

Some of it is indeed my own perceptions and as a psychologist ( proper one) I can recognise these things!

The TV miseries do not bring me down at all, I find them rather sad to be honest and have no intention of joining that gang!

I too am on a retirement extension of stay and the hoops are not so bad, annoying sometimes but not a deal breaker!

I am most certainly not a whinging pom!!  Having lived in Aussie land for a few years, I too found them a pain in the butt!

So the problem is you then.You still haven't said what has changed besides a feeling.That's a bit flighty.

I visit Virginia for about four weeks per year.  Driving is a lot safer, sanitation is a lot better, but even those things come with a heavy price.  Most live there due to the high paying jobs and choose the best place they can afford and be less than an hour each way to work, which is often 1.5 hours.  Basic house 400K, taxes 5K yearly, haircut 20, teeth cleaning/exam 150, basic Doctor's visit 80 with insurance that could easily be 500 per month+, cable/broadband 130 per month, lots of illegal immigrants, lots of Muslims, and try driving home after 4 small beers and you won't really feel like you're in friendly territory.

Thailand has changed a lot.  They seem to be more like the Cambodians than before.  While the garbage situation has improved greatly in BKK in the last 10 years; it is really reaching critical mass in CM, and most act like they couldn't care less...that can be disturbing...the hopeless, don't care attitude.  I gotta live somewhere, and my lifestyle and expenses are perfectly sustainable here, so I will be staying.

Edited by KhonKaenKowboy

4 hours ago, DennisF said:

Aussies are no different to poms. We all whinge but generally for a legitimate reason or reasons.

Been coming here since 1971, US military,  when we were treated like gods.  And living here for 2.5 years. Couldn't be more comfortable with the locals, at least in Naklua.  It's the farangs that really spook me out...

I left Thailand 3 days ago after living there for 4 1/2 years. I left for the exact same reason as the OP mentioned.

I arrived in Ho Chi Minh 3 days ago. 

Here I have the freedom to stay indefinately on a tourist or business visa. All it takes is to pay, still much less than what was costing me in ed visas to stay in thailand.

I can finally open a business as a sole owner and I dont need to hire any vietnamese to get a work permit if I wish to get one.

District 2 in Saigon is full of expats but the expats here are very very different than the ones in Thailand. Mostly families.

Everyone is here to start a business or hired by multinationals whom want to do business here since they opened up a yr ago. There are many high rises going up and U can tell it is booming.

Still much cheaper than thailand.

I love thailand and enjoyed the thai people. But the government just doesnt make me feel welcome as when I arrived almost 5 years ago.

I would go back to thailand as a retiree or once the military is gone. 

I really do feel the military goverment wants foreigners out, just leave your money.

Best of lucky to the OP and if you do move to Vietnam please send me a message

1 hour ago, louse1953 said:

So the problem is you then.You still haven't said what has changed besides a feeling.That's a bit flighty.

We are all individually responsible for the condition or situation we are in. I accept that responsibility.

4 minutes ago, Pizzaman101 said:

I left Thailand 3 days ago after living there for 4 1/2 years. I left for the exact same reason as the OP mentioned.

I arrived in Ho Chi Minh 3 days ago. 

Here I have the freedom to stay indefinately on a tourist or business visa. All it takes is to pay, still much less than what was costing me in ed visas to stay in thailand.

I can finally open a business as a sole owner and I dont need to hire any vietnamese to get a work permit if I wish to get one.

District 2 in Saigon is full of expats but the expats here are very very different than the ones in Thailand. Mostly families.

Everyone is here to start a business or hired by multinationals whom want to do business here since they opened up a yr ago. There are many high rises going up and U can tell it is booming.

Still much cheaper than thailand.

I love thailand and enjoyed the thai people. But the government just doesnt make me feel welcome as when I arrived almost 5 years ago.

I would go back to thailand as a retiree or once the military is gone. 

I really do feel the military goverment wants foreigners out, just leave your money.

Best of lucky to the OP and if you do move to Vietnam please send me a message

I certainly will.

All the best in your new country, keep us posted.