Hackers steal 12.29 million baht from GSB’s ATMs

webfact

Well NCR machines are used world wide. But each bank decides what software it uses and what security depending on the cards. I have not read/heard of this issue elsewhere so its probably specific to the bank which means someone got access to the software. Probably just put a card or device into the machine to introduce the malware. They have probably moved on to another country by now

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, AlQaholic said:

I don't buy the story. No way is it possible for any hacker to break into the software of an ATM, unless he made the software himself.

There is something else going on here.....in connection with the ATM cards most probably.

You under estimate what hackers can do. This is a good read for anyone who wants to know how its possible to hack atms without even touching the machine. For those too lazy to read, hackers gain access to the banks closed network - obtain atm serials - install malware that enables atm to spit out cash based on their command.

http://focustaiwan.tw/news/asoc/201607180027.aspx

Banks around the world get hacked on monthly basis if you were not aware.

Edited by mike324

the stolen money belong to the bank, not the customers, "

As far as I know,  banks have no money, but collect money from their customers. I find it to really featuring to the mentality of a relatively small group of people when they say your money is my money. If the spent all of our money, they go to the government for a subsidy, which is our money at the end of the day.

17 hours ago, Hawk said:

Yes it does  show how unsafe Thai banks really are, as it casts yet another light on all the Thai banking flaws.

No it does not show how unsafe Thai banks really are, as it is a single event, not endemic.

Btw, CC fraud in the US is 32%.

Since all the withdrawals were in Bangkok and from Bangkok to the south of Thailand, It crosses my mind that the money will fund rebel insurgents in the south...... Either that or North Korea (they are getting good at 'hacking' computers around the world.)

Just my personal thoughts...............

So excuse my ignorance, these people went to each atm and took the money out ? So they'll be sort of tracable on ctv ? Or transferred it electronically, just using the atm as a way into the banks system, if so makes 12.mil a ridiculousely small amount considering the access they had.

16 hours ago, gdgbb said:

No, it doesn't.  It was a flaw in a British made cash dispenser's security system.  The GSB is not an unsafe bank, wasn't before this hack and still isn't.

Scottish, not British.

Scotland is only called Britian when they do something positive. :)

Interesting read on how this can be done.  It appears they come into a country and target the bank they feel is most vulnerable and only that bank . Their theft occurs in the middle of the night and they use 20-30 people in a simultaneous attack on the ATMS and then make their exit and move onto another country.  

The brand of the ATM machines have no bearing. They hack into the central server; they get the administrator's password which gives them unlimited entry; they put in the malware; they have their key cards made to insert into the ATM slot which gives them access to the malware program; they get 40K at a time. Everything they are going to get takes place within 60 minutes. On tothe next country.

I do not pretend to know much about technology but it appears the banks themselves  get a series of false readings which they ultimately ignore which is part of the malware program to test its readiness and lull the bank into eventually ignoring what is happening. It appears to me the key is proper IT administration and investigating every reading no matter how many are false. The banks are responsible and need to improve their oversight and security protocols. These people are clever and very technology savvy. Taiwan may want to consider putting some pressure on the perps they are holding.

2 hours ago, AlQaholic said:

Sooo.... if the money on the other hand belonged to the customers......

Hmmm....did some bank employee download a game and played it on the ATM?

Ultimately, the money belongs to the shareholders, if something is left after all debts to customers are settled. 
Guess the Shareholders will not be happy, less dividends to be paid !!

16 hours ago, Chicog said:

Malware of this type almost certainly needs one of two things:

- Physical access to the ATM itself

- Assistance from a bank employee

I''d say it's most likely the bank's fault.

And I'm "speculating" that as current hard evidence becomes lost or more obscure, a special investigation will come up with damning evidence and a plausible trail leading directly to this year's public enemy no.1, that the majority might swallow hook line and sinker.

Edited by silent

17 hours ago, gdgbb said:

No, it doesn't.  It was a flaw in a British made cash dispenser's security system.  The GSB is not an unsafe bank, wasn't before this hack and still isn't.

Don't know any friends who do IT audit? ... I do, and someday I'm really thinking I should be buying a safe :-)

16 hours ago, gandalf12 said:

Surely the software would not have been provided by the manufacturer. I would be more likely to consider the software is or local origin as it has to support the Thai language. 

Yes quiet possible the software was supplied by manufacturer even in Thai and any other language you need.

8 minutes ago, singa-traz said:

Don't know any friends who do IT audit? ... I do, and someday I'm really thinking I should be buying a safe :-)

After you do, hide your valuables in the freezer. The first thing burglars steal is the safe.

18 hours ago, gdgbb said:

No, it doesn't, it shows how insecure NCR cash dispensers are.

No, it isn't, the National Cashregister Company install this everywhare in the world, without the problems they occur here in the country.

Also the magnetic strips on the cards, we know all, give a possibility for fraud, and still I have a card with a magnetic strip, from SCB

When you have a card reader you can simple view the data, including password.

The ATM machines in Taiwan were not NCR machines- they were another brand.  It is not the machine that has the problem. it is the banks lack of security that allows the hacking, obtaining the Administrators password and the introduction of the malware into the ATM system. Once done- the physical attack on the ATM machines occur simultaneously and done  at the midnight hour while any witnesses would be slim.  They make their exit immediately and head for the border. These people are hard to catch once the money is taken. However, Taiwan has 3 of them . I would assume they must have information that could help in tracking the whereabouts of the gang members and its leadership.

19 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Is there something wrong with a bank's policy to get it's stolen money back?   The statement doesn't say the policy would be any different if it was customer's accounts that were involved.

The statement from the article implies that the banks would not seek compensation if the money belonged to customers.

20 hours ago, Hawk said:

Shows yet again how unsafe Thai banks really are.

it is more the defective ATM machines. I am sure the bank would have recourse to claim from the manufacturers  if it can be proved that there was a manufacturing defect.

13 hours ago, augustwest said:

After being hacked 3x I now go to branch and use passport and withdraw cash. I won't use an ATM again!

I have a savings account in Thailand. I specifically asked them to remove the ATM card from the account because I'd heard of too many people having ATM withdrawals when they'd never even used the card.

I've heard of plenty of others that keep the majority of their money in one account with no card, and transfer smallish amounts to another "working" account that does have a card.

Seems quite sensible to me.

2 minutes ago, Chicog said:

I have a savings account in Thailand. I specifically asked them to remove the ATM card from the account because I'd heard of too many people having ATM withdrawals when they'd never even used the card.

I've heard of plenty of others that keep the majority of their money in one account with no card, and transfer smallish amounts to another "working" account that does have a card.

Seems quite sensible to me.

So , nice of you to leave it to the inside job people ......lol

12,290,000 /40000 = 307.25.  Times they withdrew. 

307 /21 = 14.61 times from each machine.

No cameras?  

Also how do they leave the country with such large amounts of local currency. Have to exchange it?

Edited by gregk0543

3 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Readers need to interpret the spin here and not take this announcement (from only one side) at face value.

GSB were forced to spike the story. If somebody else announces it (say, a newspaper) they look as if they have lost control. Banks must have customer confidence. You don't want a bank run.

GSB need to ensure customer confidence is not dented. They must also reassure shareholders (The Thai Government) that there will be no profit hit.

So, they introduce a foreign company (bogeyman) and confidently claim they will recoup all losses from that foreign company. (p.s. incorporation is not devolved in the UK, ..... yet)

They know full well that they will not receive a satang from the foreign ATM supplier. I would also bet they will not even instigate any civil proceedings. The truth is unimportant. The goal is to reassure customers and shareholders and hide the real truth of internal collusion in fraud.

It reminds me of the numerous announcements regarding opponents of the government residing abroad. They government announced they would be putting in extradition requests. Almost without exception, no extradition requests were placed.

The messages are not truthful but they are intended for an audience and to have the desired effect on that audience.

You may be right. This story could well be the "brakes failed", or "slippery road" excuse of the banking world.