More water in dams this year than last year

webfact

More water in dams this year than last year

2308001-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- There is more water in dams across the country this year than last year and the water will be enough for consumption and for farming to last through the next dry season, Irrigation Department director-general Suthep Noypairote assured on Tuesday.

However, he admitted that the amount of water stored in 20 dams such as Mae Ngad, Mae Kwang, Nam Pung, Chulabhorn, Lampao, Ubonrat, Lam Takong, Lam Phra Ploeng, Pasak Cholasit, Tap Salao, Bang Phra, Nong Pla Lai and Pran Buri was still not much although it was better than last year’s.

Dienmu tropical storm last week caused flooding in parts of Nan province and increased water level in Sirikit dam and Chao Phraya river basin. Sirikit dam now is estimated to store 2,390 million cubic metres of water, representing 36 percent of its full capacity while Bhumibol dam is getting 18 million cubic metres of water a day and is expected to store up to nine billion cubic metres of water by the end of the rainy season.

The main dams now store 3,696 million cubic metres of water which should be enough to meet the needs for consumption and to maintain the ecological balance.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/177287-2/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-24

Of course the NE is grow rice now

It is the wetter season which makes it the first rice crop of the year

Advise given at local meeting yesterday was unlikely to have water for the dry season crop

Edited by noosard

Just now, noosard said:

Of course the NE is grow rice now

It is the wetter season which makes it the first crop of the year

Advise given at local meeting yesterday was unlikely to have water for the dry season crop

Yes and do you think they wont grow rice.. or defy the advice and moan and steal water from normal consumption when there is not enough ?

Yes , but what measures are now being done to alleviate shortage in the dry,  except talking , recycled water ,  reverse osmosis, new dams . just what is being done , surely we won't have the same,  same , that has continued for the past 2 decades, B/S talk.....................................:coffee1: 

1 hour ago, robblok said:

Yes and do you think they wont grow rice.. or defy the advice and moan and steal water from normal consumption when there is not enough ?

They have not grown rice here in the dry season for the last 2 years

So I think if they are told there is no water to be released during the dry  no rice will be planted

Actual rainfall in the Udon area is slightly more than last year due to good rains in May and June, since then has been similar to last year which was called a bad wet season

Which meant no dry season planting of rice

Edited by noosard

13 minutes ago, noosard said:

They have not grown rice here in the dry season for the last 2 years

So I think if they are told there is no water to be released during the dry  no rice will be planted

That is a suprise to me because many seem to grow in the dry season too and then complain when there is no water. Good on the farmers over there because it would cost time capital and labor and no return. 

5 hours ago, kannot said:

local  supply in Pranburi is on twice a day by me for not more than 4 hours, been like this every year for 4-5 years, local infrastructure is appalling

Same here just south of Phrachuap no rain to speak of and water supplies intermittent ... and still the water company is  to bone idle to mend the leak near my house

The Nan river in Phichit province is quite high. This, hopefully is due to run off south of the Sirikit dam. Anything flowing into the lake behind that dam should be saved until a safe level has been reached, otherwise next year we will be hearing the same crying and wailing about water shortages again.  

4 hours ago, halloween said:

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/rid_dam_1.php?lang=en

Long way to go yet. The North is looking up, but across the country, most dams still in the red (below 30%). NE worst case.

I knew I had this somewhere.

Status of the medium dams water level in Thailand.

http://www.thaiwater.net/DATA/REPORT/php/show_sm_dam.php?lang=en

Just now, Deepinthailand said:

Yes field after field after field every year front July ish it's planted.

Oh i see, well in that case they shouldn't blame the government if they run out of water next year April.

7 hours ago, kannot said:

local  supply in Pranburi is on twice a day by me for not more than 4 hours, been like this every year for 4-5 years, local infrastructure is appalling

I feel for you its one of the reasons I moved from the boonies into the city. The bathroom was filled with garbage pails to store water. I think piping and infrastructure all over the country is in need of repair but they hate to spend money on upgrading. Bandaids are cheaper. If they say there is more water in the dams than last year I think we are in trouble as this government is well known for double speak i.e. denying denying they are buying new subs and bang its a done deal. Of course the Thai government is not alone in this regard governments all over the world are lying and stretching the truth to keep us calm and in the dark. Welcome to the new world order.

57 minutes ago, Thian said:

Oh i see, well in that case they shouldn't blame the government if they run out of water next year April.

Why it's the rainy season plenty water in the dams for there own fields unlike some here they don't use mains water and only one crop a year. So getting your facts straight before answering a topic which you obviously know very little about is recommended good afternoon to you

5555  I don't think Thian realizes that Issan only grows one rice crop a year apart from in a few low lying areas. It's the central region that relies on damwater for a second crop.

That dam chart was interesting, here's another one.

http://www.thaiwater.net/web/index.php/en.html

Interesting that although Bhumibol dam currently is 34% full, only 6% is usable.  

1 hour ago, Thian said:

The fields planted now will be harvested before the new year

Second planting in the NE starts Dec -Jan if water is available from the dams for irrigation

If the farmers are really lucky they may get 3 crops a year

Edited by noosard

53 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I feel for you its one of the reasons I moved from the boonies into the city. The bathroom was filled with garbage pails to store water. I think piping and infrastructure all over the country is in need of repair but they hate to spend money on upgrading. Bandaids are cheaper. If they say there is more water in the dams than last year I think we are in trouble as this government is well known for double speak i.e. denying denying they are buying new subs and bang its a done deal. Of course the Thai government is not alone in this regard governments all over the world are lying and stretching the truth to keep us calm and in the dark. Welcome to the new world order.

You never considered something a little more substantial than garbage pails to store water?

10 hours ago, Deepinthailand said:

Why it's the rainy season plenty water in the dams for there own fields unlike some here they don't use mains water and only one crop a year. So getting your facts straight before answering a topic which you obviously know very little about is recommended good afternoon to you

I also thought the government had adviced to grow other crops instead of rice. But i don't care, if they run out of water so be it.

Myself i would have made sure to have a large reservoir filled to the max before growing any rice. It wouldn't happen to me again to run out of water.

So some NE farmers grow one crop and others do more, well that seems fair.....At least they will have somebody to blame if they run out of water.

Did they also build extra waterstorage to make sure it won't happen again? Some deep lakes or so? Oh well, guess i know the answer allready.