Is the mood changing in Chiang Mai?

Somnambulist

I got my retirement visa today, and a single entry re-entry permit.  Both of the Immigration staff I dealt with today were unfriendly.  When I discovered that my new retirement visa will be good through most of September of next year I said “Good” because that's more than the one year I was expecting.  The officer said, No, not good.  Why, I asked.  Don’t you want me to stay here longer?  No, he said.  I assured him I am a good person who helps Thais when I can.  He replied with a dubious, Really?  I remember this guy from when he worked near the airport.  He seemed much happier and friendlier then.  The other guy I dealt with wouldn’t even look at me or speak to me, even when I wai’d and said sawatdeekrap.  (Do they hate that I used an agent?) 

I know Thais love to have fun even at work.  At the old Immigration office, there were a lot of officers in close quarters and there was a good deal of banter back and forth.  The mood was good amongst the staff, except, of course, for when a whinging, unprepared foreigner would harangue the staff.  But in the new setup at Promenada, there are only two officers (three if you count the staff woman in the middle), and they are too far apart to hav much rapport.  And their work load is ridiculous.  I’d like to think that my experience today is the result of these new work conditions and the extra hassle of needing a TM.30, and not a general feeling shared by most Thais about foreigners, but today, for the first time in more than ten years here, I wondered if I’ll find it necessary to move on someday. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this all it takes, a couple of unfriendly guys at immigration?  Are you one of those people with low self-esteem?  People do have good and bad days.  I would imagine Thais that have to be around foreigners all the time--especially at immigration--would have a different attitude towards foreigners.  I'm sure you realize that most Thais are not employed in such jobs.  Unless all Thais are treating you like crap.  Then you need to take a closer look at yourself and ask why that is.  I can assure you it has nothing to do with you being a foreigner. 

5 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

Is this all it takes, a couple of unfriendly guys at immigration?  Are you one of those people with low self-esteem?  People do have good and bad days.  I would imagine Thais that have to be around foreigners all the time--especially at immigration--would have a different attitude towards foreigners.  I'm sure you realize that most Thais are not employed in such jobs.  Unless all Thais are treating you like crap.  Then you need to take a closer look at yourself and ask why that is.  I can assure you it has nothing to do with you being a foreigner. 

I'd say my self-esteem is in the normal range.  I'd say you seem to be having a bad day.  

24 minutes ago, Somnambulist said:

I'd say my self-esteem is in the normal range.  I'd say you seem to be having a bad day.  

No actually, I'm good.  My point is that a couple of guys being unfriendly doesn't mean the mood in the whole of Chiang Mai is changing. 

I do not find the mood of Chiang Mai to be any less friendly than it was 10-15 years ago. I find the shop keepers just as nice, the workers on the street that I pass smile when I smile, vendors just as friendly... All in all, I find Chiang Mai a very comfortable place to live. I'd like to see less traffic, but such is the price of economic growth. I liked Chiang Mai more when it was less developed, but my Thai friends have all benefited from the development and are happy to see it grow. It's their country. I just live here.

I think what the OP should have asked is, is the mood changing at Immigration,as thats

where he seemed to be having problems. you cannot generalise the whole Thai Chiang Mai

population with what happened at the Immigration offices,I think if I had to work there I would

have a few off days too.

regards Worgeordie

2 hours ago, Somnambulist said:

You said;   I assured him I am a good person who helps Thais when I can.

Not smart, you came across as patronising as if expecting the man to say; thank you for all you are doing to help the Thai people and a third world country, only you probably don`t see it that way. When I visit immigration on immigration business, I hand over my paperwork, smile and say nothing unless I`m asked a question, or there is something I need to explain to an officer. It doesn`t bother me if they are jovial or not, I`m only there to get the stamp, it`s purely business.

1 hour ago, Dante99 said:

Don’t you want me to stay here longer?  No, he said.

Thais most often respond to the actual grammar.  His reply makes a double negative which in effect is saying yes he would like you to stay longer.

Huh?

Grammar?

For ex: "Trump is not going to be president, is he?"

Answer: Yes, Trump is not going to be president

or

No, Trump is not going to be president.

Which is correct? Especially to a non-English speaker?

10 hours ago, Somnambulist said:

In my opinion those foreigners that wai (and boast about it) have low self esteem. Don't do it.

As for friendly, I've never found any Thais particularly friendly or welcoming, they smile a lot but it doesn't fool me. They mostly seem to hate white men and what they get up to here. Can't say I really blame them. 

Edited by MissAndry

10 hours ago, Berkshire said:

Always beware the Thai-bashing policemen, they're forever vigilant and ready to swoop like kitehawks. According to you and your mates, the locals are always happy, friendly, helpful  and un-xenophobic, whereas all farang are garbage. Reminds me, must get out the flail and start my daily flagellation session. 

27 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

In my opinion those foreigners that wai (and boast about it) have low self esteem. Don't do it.

As for friendly, I've never found any Thais particularly friendly or welcoming, they smile a lot but it doesn't fool me. They mostly seem to hate white men and what they get up to here. Can't say I really blame them. 

"They mostly seem to hate white men and what they get up to here. Can't say I really blame them. "

What, like spending loads of dosh thus boosting the local economy; supporting a Thai wife with kids by previous Thai partners; buying house and land that we can't own; apart from the odd headcase, being generally well behaved. Why don't you blame them for hating us? Maybe it's contempt that they feel because we try too hard to conform, but they have no reason to hate us.

12 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Always beware the Thai-bashing policemen, they're forever vigilant and ready to swoop like kitehawks. According to you and your mates, the locals are always happy, friendly, helpful  and un-xenophobic, whereas all farang are garbage. Reminds me, must get out the flail and start my daily flagellation session. 

What in freaks name are you talking about?  Try typing sober next time, you might make some sense. 

5 minutes ago, jesimps said:

"They mostly seem to hate white men and what they get up to here. Can't say I really blame them. "

What, like spending loads of dosh thus boosting the local economy; supporting a Thai wife with kids by previous Thai partners; buying house and land that we can't own; apart from the odd headcase, being generally well behaved. Why don't you blame them for hating us? Maybe it's contempt that they feel because we try too hard to conform, but they have no reason to hate us.

I was thinking more of having hired sex with younger women and drinking a lot, which seems the norm for elderly white males in Thailand.

32 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

As someone who is older, I rarely wai first but have no issue at returning one when offered and there are more formal situations, like picking up my kid at school when I am constantly returning wais.. they come with sincere smiles... I understand that there are many different types and occasions of smiles just as there are different facial expressions. If you are here long enough and observant of the culture, you eventually learn that just as a language has different words, culture can have differences too... such as "types" of smiles. 

I am a white male. Though I go to CM once a month, I never see any particular hatred. I think Thai are much more perceptive than you might think and respond to what they see. They pick up quickly on angry people and tend not to respond well to such, mostly not liking or wanting to avoid them. I walk around with a smile and friendly demeanor, non-threatening and non-confrontational and this is what I receive back, especially so in the countryside, I see no hatred toward me or the few other farang in our area... 

As to the OP - - would an increase in farang lead to an increase in workload compounded by having to deal with angry customers? 

1 minute ago, kenk24 said:

I walk around with a smile and friendly demeanor, non-threatening and non-confrontational and this is what I receive back, especially so in the countryside, I see no hatred toward me or the few other farang in our area..

Not everyone wants to be seen as the village idiot. ....... or a racist for that matter.

Wherever I have been in the world in more than 50 years I have met few people, including children, who are not friendly. I think that says more about me than it does about them! I know how to invite friendliness. I am talking about engaging with them. Because someone doesn't smile at me when passing, I don't count that as unfriendly.

2 hours ago, mesquite said:

Most government jobs suck and the people doing them are unhappy.

As well as being August which is musical chairs season. "Promotion, demotion, and shake it all around. Do the hokey kokey ....."

4 minutes ago, ChrisKC said:

Wherever I have been in the world in more than 50 years I have met few people, including children, who are not friendly. I think that says more about me than it does about them! I know how to invite friendliness. I am talking about engaging with them. Because someone doesn't smile at me when passing, I don't count that as unfriendly.

It just means you aren't all that observant or sensitive to other peoples feelings.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, you are probably much happier in your fantasy world.

Me, I prefer reality.

18 minutes ago, jesimps said:

Unless you have actually asked 67 million Thai people, you have no idea what "they" Think.

Stunning interpretation. OP is it possible the first guys wife left him that morning. The second guy just had a fight with his boss maybe?

I was hoping to read an interesting thread but just got yet another farang drama queen..

Sent from my SC-01D using Tapatalk

2 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

It just means you aren't all that observant or sensitive to other peoples feelings.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, you are probably much happier in your fantasy world.

Me, I prefer reality.

I think you should read my post more carefully! Your remarks are the opposite of what you should be saying. I am extremely observant and sensitive and compassionate. I am one of the most realistic people you will ever meet. If after reading my post again you feel the same then you have had a brain aberration!

19 minutes ago, MissAndry said:

Not everyone wants to be seen as the village idiot. ....... or a racist for that matter.

I have no idea what you are talking about? Why would anyone consider me a village idiot? Or a racist? Where was that even implied? 

Living amongst people who smile and are friendly and acting in a similar manner seems a much more pleasant way to go through life. It does not make one stupid. 

37 minutes ago, kenk24 said:

As someone who is older, I rarely wai first but have no issue at returning one when offered and there are more formal situations, like picking up my kid at school when I am constantly returning wais.. they come with sincere smiles... I understand that there are many different types and occasions of smiles just as there are different facial expressions. If you are here long enough and observant of the culture, you eventually learn that just as a language has different words, culture can have differences too... such as "types" of smiles. 

I am a white male. Though I go to CM once a month, I never see any particular hatred. I think Thai are much more perceptive than you might think and respond to what they see. They pick up quickly on angry people and tend not to respond well to such, mostly not liking or wanting to avoid them. I walk around with a smile and friendly demeanor, non-threatening and non-confrontational and this is what I receive back, especially so in the countryside, I see no hatred toward me or the few other farang in our area... 

As to the OP - - would an increase in farang lead to an increase in workload compounded by having to deal with angry customers? 

Perceptive post.

It answers the mindless comments and sums up the topic very well.