Thais warned not to eat food before paying first in Japan

webfact

Thais warned not to eat food before paying first in Japan

2408003-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai tourists visiting Japan are warned not to taste food on display for sale before paying the prices for the food otherwise they may face arrest on theft charge.

The warning was issued by The Division of Protection of Thai National Overseas of the Thai Foreign Affairs over an unfortunate incident on July 25 when a Thai national, whose name was not disclosed, was arrested by Japanese security official after he picked up a box of cookies at a souvenir shop in Tokyo Disneyland theme park and ate one of the cookies. He was later handed over to the police to face theft charge.

At the police station, the Thai defended that he had no intention to steal the cookie. He told the police that, at supermarket in Thailand, shoppers could eat before paying the price to the cashiers.

However, the Foreign Ministry said that, in Japan, it was a different case. And under the Japanese law, the suspected thief would be held in detention at the police station for ten days pending the investigation and an instruction from the prosecutor whether to proceed with the case or to drop the charge.

Thais can visit Japan without visas for up to 15 days. And in case, a suspect is held in detention for more than 15 days, he or she will face an additional charge of overstaying in Japan and this may lead to the suspect being banned from visiting Japan for up to one year, said the ministry.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thais-warned-not-eat-food-paying-first-japan/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2016-08-25

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never knew that about Japan. Been there numerous times but never encountered a problem. At 7-11 both in Thailand and Japan I often start drinking my iced coffee or other beverage in the store while shopping for some snacks. Never started eating inside the shop though before paying at the cashier. Anyway I'm sure this will be resolved quickly for the unfortunate Thai shopper who obviously made an honest mistake. 

3 minutes ago, surangw said:

its not yours till you pay for it

How does that work in a restaurant? Or you only eat out at a McDonald's or Burger King where you do pay before eating. And what about all kinds of other services like telephone, electricity, etc. I pay for these after use. It's an easy mistake to make for a Thai in Japan when in Thailand it's perfectly acceptable to consume before you arrive at the cashier, providing you pay for it of course. 

9 minutes ago, Gulfsailor said:

How does that work in a restaurant? Or you only eat out at a McDonald's or Burger King where you do pay before eating. And what about all kinds of other services like telephone, electricity, etc. I pay for these after use. It's an easy mistake to make for a Thai in Japan when in Thailand it's perfectly acceptable to consume before you arrive at the cashier, providing you pay for it of course. 

You;re comparing apples and oranges.

I find off putting when you see people handling food with their bare hands like fruits for example. Rummaging through fresh produce looking for the best and leaving the rest and who knows where there've had their dirty mits.

Anyway Gulf sailor as for the speedy ending I notice the incident was on July 25 so it's been a month nearly until this story came out so it would have been nice to have seen the conclusion unless he has been detained .

7 minutes ago, orchidlady said:

The other newspaper stated he opened a box to try first before buying. They go on to mention it's not ok to sample from open boxes only boxes labeled as testers. Yes it would have been nice to have an update on final outcome.

Yes, I read that in a newspaper we cannot name. 

I've never been a fan of people who open products to eat or drink before they buy. Just wait.In saying that, I thought you can put products in your pocket, etc, and it's not a crime until you're leaving the store. 

In Thailand the rules truly are flexible. We all know you can't buy alcohol from 2-5 pm, but you walk into a 7/11 during this period, grab a beer and open it while you wait to pay, the staff is helpful enough to take ur money, but enter it in the cash register after 5 pm.

Drink beer in the 7/11 queue...classy :blink:

1 hour ago, rkidlad said:

Yes, I read that in a newspaper we cannot name. 

I've never been a fan of people who open products to eat or drink before they buy. Just wait.In saying that, I thought you can put products in your pocket, etc, and it's not a crime until you're leaving the store. 

You are correct about the leaving the store aspect as in some legal jurisdictions it's held to indicate the intent to steal whereas in the store with something in the pocket the customer can claim the intent to pay when at the counter.

Personally it's not something I would risk here..

23 minutes ago, NongKhaiKid said:

You are correct about the leaving the store aspect as in some legal jurisdictions it's held to indicate the intent to steal whereas in the store with something in the pocket the customer can claim the intent to pay when at the counter.

Personally it's not something I would risk here..

Especially in King Power. I daren't even go in. 

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

In Thailand the rules truly are flexible. We all know you can't buy alcohol from 2-5 pm, but you walk into a 7/11 during this period, grab a beer and open it while you wait to pay, the staff is helpful enough to take ur money, but enter it in the cash register after 5 pm.

It's possible behave like that in Thailand (slugging from a beer can before payment) but It doesn't mean it isn't a unpleasant boorish lower class habit. No well mannered person of any background would do it.

lol...so they arrest you for this and then charge you with overstay

mhhh, does it sound familiar ...

as long as you don't leave the shop without paying what you ate...

in my home country, some certain population goes into supermarket, eats, throws away the package, leaves, never pays and is not intercepted or it is called rascism ...

they love to use that word when it is suitable ...

1 hour ago, Clamhua said:

I thought some time ago people were being arrested or extorted for doing the same thing in 7-11 in Thailand

Yes, I remember a farang being arrested a few years ago for eating (or drinking) something in 7/11 before paying.

I see this every week in Big C. Customers eating or drinking products before paying. I notice, however, that they do keep the empty packaging and hand it to the lady at the cash desk.

4 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

Why not give your penchant toward "one-upmanship" posting a rest, ok? :whistling:-sigh!

Edited by NativeSon360