Thais warned not to eat food before paying first in Japan

webfact

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, digibum said:

Good thing he was in Japan and not at King Power.  

Yeah,

He would have been unceremoniously arrested in King power by at least three captains, a colonel and a General for the finger pointing photo op, then slung in Lad Yao remand prison for 84 days, relieved of probably upwards of a million baht for bail by lawyers, charged with overstay, taken before the court for a 2,000 baht fine and deported and banned for 50 years.

All for the sake of a trying on a Leicester city football shirt in the King power store without paying first!......:wai2:

25 minutes ago, petedk said:

Yes, I remember a farang being arrested a few years ago for eating (or drinking) something in 7/11 before paying.

I see this every week in Big C. Customers eating or drinking products before paying. I notice, however, that they do keep the empty packaging and hand it to the lady at the cash desk.

As laid-back as the Japanese appear to be, Japan really is a militaristic-mentality state of being. Most Japanese people have a rigid "stick-up-the-butt" attitude, about obeying the traditional Law & Order "rules". The Japanese actively "spy" on each other, and will readily "report" any, and every perceived violation of the rules to the police. Just the facts - :coffee1:

Edited by NativeSon360

4 hours ago, The stuttering parrot said:

I find off putting when you see people handling food with their bare hands like fruits for example. Rummaging through fresh produce looking for the best and leaving the rest and who knows where there've had their dirty mits.

Anyway Gulf sailor as for the speedy ending I notice the incident was on July 25 so it's been a month nearly until this story came out so it would have been nice to have seen the conclusion unless he has been detained .

Yes it is better to only take the fruit on top of the pile. The stuff that is old ?

Do you not wash your fruit when you get home ?

Why would your hands be any cleaner then anyone else ?

And unless you camp out in the supermarket, all day. There are people who have touched your fruit 1,2,3 hours before

you came into the store. What about the people who stock the fruit ?

You should wash your fruit, vegetables always. Even bananas. If the banana skin is not washed, and you peel it,

your hands get dirty. Nothing is clean until you clean it.

And don't ever send food back, when eating at a restaurant , the cook will spit in your food, because you complain.

Have you ever eaten canned tuna. If you saw the inside of a tuna factory you would throw up.

What about eggs, don't you wash your eggs. Very dirty shells, gets on your hands.

What about bacon. Do you wash the plastic the bacon comes in ? Very dirty plastic; and then you take the bacon in your hands, to put in fry pan. Potato chips bags, very dirty, then you eat the chips ?

Enjoy your breakfast, lunch, dinner, snacks etc etc,  Mr Felix Unger, from Oscar Madison.

Just now, surangw said:

its not yours till you pay for it

Absolutely right.....and  B/S about being able to do it in Thailand or any other country for that matter.

I agree, because of their nature here in Thailand, staff would be very slow to mention it to you when they see it happening......but that does not mean that it is OK to steal stuff by consuming it before paying for it.

PS, I see quite a few Farangs doing this in Big C and other similar stores. Don't try to tell me that they think it is OK to do it.......The word "cheapskate" (and a few others) come to mind when I see this.

5 hours ago, webfact said:

At the police station, the Thai defended that he had no intention to steal the cookie. He told the police that, at supermarket in Thailand, shoppers could eat before paying the price to the cashiers.

I've never seen that in a supermarket here..

Edited by Bluespunk

Thai's need to read up on foreign customs if they can read! remember the police chief or whatever he was who thought he could carry his weapon in and out of Japan with impunity? the Japanese threw his sorry ass in the slammer and he lost a ton of face! The Japanese do not care who you are, you break their laws and you pay the time! The Japanese need Thai tourist like a need an STD!

Makro up in Nong Khai has signs up in the dairy produce section, where the cheese is, telling you not to eat before you buy.

First and only time I've seen that in Thailand.

Edited by nahkit

I would do this in Thailand as I would in the UK. Good to know not to do it in Japan.  I used to work in a supermarket when I was younger and it was common to see parents feeding their kids food while shopping and paying for what they'd eaten at the til. I'm more than happy to open some milk and drink away while shopping. 

5 hours ago, sahibji said:

in most countries you are ok as long as you pay at the check out counters.it is done all the time.

In my home country, regularly done.  Countless times, I just showed the empty wrapper or box to the cashier, who charged me at the check-out counter as I wiped the crumbs from my mouth.  

By contrast, the Japanese are hyper-sensitive about theft and their strict laws reflect that.  Twice, in Tokyo, I've lost things of value (wallet, etc.), only to have them returned to my hotel by a stranger, with nothing missing (cash, cards, etc.)     

If a Japanese citizen is convicted of theft in Japan, the whole family suffers (publicly shaming the entire family--parents and siblings, inability to get a job, loss of jobs, etc.).  Consequently, there is comparatively very little theft in that society.  

This story is another reminder to read up on the culture of a country before visiting.  I'm afraid too many Thais rely on a half-hour TV travel show.   

Edited by Fookhaht

Buy the same in Thailand, don`t eat or NOT go to any bar and drink before you pay, bay 1 bottle  and finish. Thaier are the most Greedy people i meet fore the last 10 Year and a live in Thailand, and speak Thai, but they don`t now i Speak Thai so it`s fanny :)

4 minutes ago, nasa123 said:

Buy the same in Thailand, don`t eat or NOT go to any bar and drink before you pay, bay 1 bottle  and finish. Thaier are the most Greedy people i meet fore the last 10 Year and a live in Thailand, and speak Thai, but they don`t now i Speak Thai so it`s fanny :)

:blink:

4 hours ago, maoro2013 said:

So you can pay before you pay in a store in Thailand, don't think so.

A restaurant or bar would be the only variation to this.

This Thai was a clown.

"So you can pay before you pay in a store in Thailand, don't think so"

Who's calling who a clown Ronald McDonald? 

7 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

In Thailand the rules truly are flexible. We all know you can't buy alcohol from 2-5 pm, but you walk into a 7/11 during this period, grab a beer and open it while you wait to pay, the staff is helpful enough to take ur money, but enter it in the cash register after 5 pm.

can get away with almost anything in thailand if money is involved. i even spoke to a guy a few weeks back who used the services of a lady of the night despite it being illegal in thailand.

15 years living in Thailand in different places, i assure you that you can start to open and eat or drink the products that you placed in you cart/basket while you keep doing your shopping in the same shop. No one would even think that your not willing to pay for it...

In the other hand, Japan is one of the few countries where you just can't do that.

7 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

In Thailand the rules truly are flexible. We all know you can't buy alcohol from 2-5 pm, but you walk into a 7/11 during this period, grab a beer and open it while you wait to pay, the staff is helpful enough to take ur money, but enter it in the cash register after 5 pm.

Being helpful? I see this as making the best out of a bad (and entirely unwarranted) situation, on the part of the coerced Thai staff. After all, you opened the freaking beer, taking away pretty much any other recourse. Avoiding unpleasantness has always had its place in LOS, and certainly has its price, which would seem to hover at just about 300 baht/take home, per day. 

3 minutes ago, Songlaw said:

Being helpful? I see this as making the best out of a bad (and entirely unwarranted) situation, on the part of the coerced Thai staff. After all, you opened the freaking beer, taking away pretty much any other recourse. Avoiding unpleasantness has always had its place in LOS, and certainly has its price, which would seem to hover at just about 300 baht/take home, per day. 

Right, because we all know that the 2-5 pm alcohol ban is the most brilliant law in the world and makes society a so much better place to live in.

What happen to the 300 m ban on entertainment from any educational institute? Are they done moving the schools yet?

6 hours ago, MissAndry said:

What's wrong with having your sofa in the front garden? (weather allowing)

If it's in your front garden all the neighbours can see you procreating with your other family members and what kinda roadkill uncle Bubba done brung home fur supper.

OK... so this seems a bit 'Petty'... however, this news item also evidences Japans underlying frustrations with the behaviour of Thai Tourists who in general and have been reported as showing little respect for 'other cultures' when visiting Japan. 

Previous similar issues have been reported in the past regarding the behaviour of Thai Tourists in Japan which led to the issuance of 'Do's and Don'ts' for Thai Tourists in Japan....  

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2014/11/21/national/embassy-releases-dos-and-donts-for-thai-tourists-when-visiting-japan/#.V76fL2X5Phg

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Thai-tourists-warned-to-brush-up-on-Japan-culture--30261606.html

<<<< Link to Bangkok Post removed >>>>

https://www.japantoday.com/smartphone/view/national/group-of-teenage-thai-actors-placed-under-house-arrest-for-dancing-on-japanese-train

..... much in the same way Chinese Tourists have been requested to 'brush up' on their knowledge of Thai Customs and 'Do's & Don'ts'.... 

That said - In general the Thai Tourists in Japan, while sometimes coming across as unworldly and sometimes a little less considerate than the extremely police Japanese society are also significantly less uncouth than the Chinese tourist... 

But, tourists in General always seem to behave badly when generalised as a 'group'.... Western Tourists in Thailand will be tarred with the same brush as those behaving poorly...  fortunately the Thai's are far very tolerant. 

The reputation of British Tourists in certain Mediterranean resorts is despicable. 

Edited by metisdead
26) The Bangkok Post and Phuketwan do not allow quotes from their news articles or other material to appear on Thaivisa.com. Neither do they allow links to their publications. Posts from members containing quotes from or links to Bangkok Post or Phuketwan

1 hour ago, sioux2012 said:

"So you can pay before you pay in a store in Thailand, don't think so"

Who's calling who a clown Ronald McDonald? 

Most posters were able to recognise a typo. This forum is full of them. Sorry you couldn't  see through this, I apologise profusely.