Banks: "Our ATM security is international standard' - oops, we left the keys in the lock

rooster59

29 minutes ago, radiochaser said:

I saw a computer sitting on top of an ATM.  It was inside a bank though.  

Yet, while my wife was with a bank employee, no one seemed to care that I was poking at the computer!

I suspect it may be a comms. controller and yes, inside a branch I might expect to see a host PC controller, both are more about networks and other than for putting an ATM offline, they have nothing to do with the operation of the ATM itself.

2 hours ago, dontoearth said:

Does anyone know if international customers are protected in Thailand?  In the USA ATM skimmers are the responsibility of the bank.  If you account is skimmed you get your money back.  What about here?  I have not opened a Thai bank account as I didn't want to get the letter from the embassy that Bangkok Bank required.  I thought I would just about break even on paying my bank fees in the USA.  I do wonder what my bank would say if large large withdraws were made from a Thai ATM and I told them...,"oh the thai bank employees left the keys in the ATM and ...."

From personal experience I can tell you that your account can be emptied and they will not call you to check, So probably they do not have the software in place to alert them of suspicious activity. Oh and good luck getting any money back from them, they will basically deny responsibility even if you have proof. Also there is the "inside job" factor to take into account.

Apparently not an uncommon experience.

About four years ago I found a set of keys in the lock of an ATM, in front of a hotel in South Pattaya.

It took me several emails, first to the bank HQ in Bangkok, with no response, until I emailed the HQ in Singapore.

Even then I was not believed until I described the keys and corresponding key's serial numbers to the bank officials via email.

It turns out that these banks use "contractors" to provide ATM services.

It took me about one month ++, with follow up emails to the bank, to return the keys to the contractor, who it seems did not care or was shy about loosing their face.

Just as an aside on ATMs...........Is there any other country who's ATMs  dont give you your card back until last increasing the chance of your walking away without it when preoccupied with putting your cash away safely? It makes sense for the machine to give your card back before u get the cash as no one is going to walk away without their cash are they?

3 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

You often see a router and some kind of computer box just sitting in the open on top of ATMs. What are these boxes?

ATM.jpg

It's network kit, nothing to do with the functionality provided by the ATM but everything to do with its connectivity.

8 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

ATM security is low and each time I use one I am suer care here. I have had two bank cards skimmed in Thailand at ATM machines. Never in any other country. That is not a coincidence.

What do ATM Skimmers look like?
Like the real thing and almost impossible to spot!
To the untrained eye, ATM skimmers are notoriously difficult to spot, but there are a few tell tale signs:

A bulky card slot or one that does not appear flush against the machine suggests a skimmer may be in place.
Another possible sign is gf the card slot is loose or if there is a noticeable gap around the edge of the card reader.
If the keypad feels ‘spongy’ or unusually soft when your try and enter your PIN.
If any part of the machine looks like it has been tampered with or anything is out of place, you’d be best to use another ATM.
How can you avoid being scammed?

If you’re ever in any doubt, try tapping or tugging on the card reader, keypad or look out for anything on the ATM that looks unusual.

Skimming devices may often be a little loose if they have not been properly attached to the machine. A simple wiggle of your card in the card reader could mean that foil a scamming attempt.

Getting into the habit of covering the keypad with your hand can also help to prevent a hidden camera from recording your PIN and you becoming a victim of a crime.

If you still have doubts, move on to another ATM as it is not worth taking the risk.
What to do if you spot an ATM skimming machine or have been scammed?

If the machine swallows your card you should call your bank immediately.

Depending on what your bank says, you should probably insist that your card is cancelled right away.

If you find what you think is an ATM skimmer, you should also contact the police.

If you believe your card has been cloned and money stolen from your account, you should report any suspicious activity to your bank and the police.

Don’t forget that banks are responsible for any losses due to ATM or credit card skimming but you need to inform them first.

6 hours ago, chiang mai said:

That's what you would like us to believe, it is not what is seems however.

An ATM doesn't use an external PC to operate, the ATM itself is a data terminal that is connected to a network by some means. Whatever that device is it's separate from the operation of the ATM.

UPS most likely. 

3 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

Where are they hiding the battery and what's the antenna for?

The UPS comment was in regards to the picture of the side of an ATM machine showing some kind of device in the back.  The double fan at the back is indicative. 

As as to the little boxes with antenna on top in the other pic, my guess a modem with 3G capability. Like the UPS to make sure the thing keeps working for at least some time in case of a black out.

6 hours ago, Runamile said:

An ATM somewhere in Bangkok. Yes, that's the controlling PC and, yes, that's the electricity supply. And, yes, Thais were happily withdrawing as I photographed.

ATM.jpg

No that"s a comms device, the operating "PC" is internal;

There is also an internal safe, on a combination that protects the cash!

It is idiotic to leave the keys in the door as it would be possible to upload Malware! 

Kermit ,Miss Piggy, Animal and Gonzo instantly spring to mind

If anybody else has already mentioned those stalwarts of reality then except my apologies 

Its just too late to read this thread I am off to bed

I will have another look tomorrow

Archived