Banks: "Our ATM security is international standard' - oops, we left the keys in the lock

rooster59

Banks: "Our ATM security is international standard' - oops, we left the keys in the lock

atm.PNG

Image: Daily News

KOH SAMUI:-- In a week when the banks were climbing over themselves to reassure customers of their top notch security measures in the wake of million baht hacking thefts, comes the ultimate hoot.

Staff who filled up an ATM in Koh Samui left the keys in the machine and went home.

The keys were found dangling in the front of the machine by a Facebook user who promptly shared his experience online with a few million other Thais. 

"Anusit Chaidet" posting on a Samui fan page said: "I used an ATM today in Chaweng Sai Nai at a PTT gas station. The keys were in the machine. What if a thief was passing? Is my money safe? It's worrying".

Some posters online thought it might have been deliberate for checking a signal but most thought staff had just forgotten the keys by mistake after leaving in a hurry.

Reporters later discovered that three bank staff had been at the ATM and had indeed left the keys there by mistake.

Banks such as SCB, who have purple ATMs, and Krung Thai have reassured customers this week of their state-of-the-art security after an eastern European gang robbed the Government Savings Bank of 12 million baht by introducing malware onto their system.

Source: Daily News

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2016-08-27

thailands banking systems and ATMs are up to international safety standards because they are copied from or provided by international companies. some things come down to human error such as phone companies giving out sim cards to the wrong people without checking who they are and people not being careful with access keys. human error happens every where but it seems to be more common and more disastrous over here.

Does anyone know if international customers are protected in Thailand?  In the USA ATM skimmers are the responsibility of the bank.  If you account is skimmed you get your money back.  What about here?  I have not opened a Thai bank account as I didn't want to get the letter from the embassy that Bangkok Bank required.  I thought I would just about break even on paying my bank fees in the USA.  I do wonder what my bank would say if large large withdraws were made from a Thai ATM and I told them...,"oh the thai bank employees left the keys in the ATM and ...."

Yeah. The worst I've seen was one of the guys changing the money cases at the local mini Tesco going inside to grab a bottle of water - while leaving both the new and empty stainless steel cases lying next to the opened ATM. A robbery waiting to happen.

That's what you would like us to believe, it is not what is seems however.

An ATM doesn't use an external PC to operate, the ATM itself is a data terminal that is connected to a network by some means. Whatever that device is it's separate from the operation of the ATM.

18 minutes ago, Runamile said:

An ATM somewhere in Bangkok. Yes, that's the controlling PC and, yes, that's the electricity supply. And, yes, Thais were happily withdrawing as I photographed.

ATM.jpg

I saw a computer sitting on top of an ATM.  It was inside a bank though.  

Yet, while my wife was with a bank employee, no one seemed to care that I was poking at the computer!

I still wonder how they know that it was an eastern European gang that hacked the ATMs... Is it just a wild guess? Or aren't the Thai capable of hacking ATMs?

I still haven't seen pictures of these culprits on Thailand's most wanted... (uh, I mean facebook)

Archived