Happy Thanksgiving

jing jing

Today's the day that, if I were back in the States, I or some friend or family member would assume the task of cooking up a huge turkey and all the trimmings... stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes (yams), and at least fifteen other side dishes of all descriptions, and probably a baked ham as well just for good measure.

Folks will stuff themselves silly, go back for seconds, thirds, and for the truly fat gluttonous bastards, as many times as their host will permit them to refill their plate.

Beer, wine, and whiskey will be quaffed. Massive headaches and stomachaches will result. Leftovers will be eaten as a midnight snack.

It's a ritual that, disgusting as it sounds, I will sorely miss, being here in the LOS.

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Yanks out there, and anyone else who cares!

Edited by jing jing

I don't know where the OP has been celebrating Thanksgiving, or with whom, but is account bears no resemblence to my own expreriences of what is a celebration we can all join in.

I'm really looking forward to tonight's dinner, new friends and old gathering for what promises to be a great party.

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Americans! I sure miss that turkey and cherry pie.

As for obesity in the States, it's not this one holiday that's causing it; it's the fact that so many folks over there eat as if everyday were Thanksgiving. Plus, the kind of food being eaten doesn't help.

And then, the Americans will do it all over again, one month later, at Christmas dinner! My kids usually get together either in late Nov. or December, and it's a pattern I'm trying to copy over here. I plan the turkey and dressing, etc., etc., etc., with 6 desserts, in December.

I need to take more time today to be thankful, not fatter.

Coming from the Brits, thats rich. Who do you think the original settlers of the fictitious Thanksgiving were? Japanese? The British are hardly innocents in the matter of genocidal slaughter, are they? :o

Anyway, my husband had his first (and last) Thanksgiving in the US shortly after we married. My grandmother knew that he had never had one before so she went all out (and she was a great cook). Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, candied yams, all the pies; pecan, pumpkin, cherry, mincemeat. He loved it! Thought it was a great holiday.

He really enjoyed the gathering of friends and family too :D

Thxgiving is a pretty good holiday. It comes just before the overcommercialized Xmas season (which actually begins the day after), there is a little less neurosis involved. You just go hang out with family and friends, bring some wine or whatever, eat drink and watch usually mediocre football games (if you're in the states). Just a holiday of low expectations and a time to give thanks for what you've got (while conveniently forgetting the Native American issues from which the holiday arises). I'd like to be in NE for it, but the Dukes will have to suffice.

Coming from the Brits, thats rich. Who do you think the original settlers of the fictitious Thanksgiving were? Japanese? The British are hardly innocents in the matter of genocidal slaughter, are they? :D

So what if they used to strap their enemies to their cannons before firing them?

White man's burden and all that rot! :o

Thanks for the holiday greetings, fellow Yanks.

Let's see, for Thanksgiving dinner today, I had som-tam with penang gai, considerably less than the 8,000 calories reportedly consumed by the average American today. Perhaps that's why I lost 15 pounds my first 3 months here, without even trying! :o

Yes Happy Thanksgiving to all my fellow Yanks and Rebels.

After waffling on the idea of paying 1000 Bt++ each for my wife and I and 4 year old daughter.I opted to roast a whole chicken and make a pot of mashed potatoes with milk and butter, even bought a can of gigantic green peas. It was a wonderful mock Thanksgiving.

Forgot just how filling a big bowl of mashed potatoes can be.

LL

Being in the U.S. at present and having had so many traditional Thanksgiving parties I will stay home with my family and thats all. I think were having fish. My wife does not like turkey and turkey for one is a bit much. I rather think I will enjoy today much more and I am thankfull

Happy Thanksgiving :o

Turkeys (small ones) can be bought at Foodland. I'm not sure what other places sell them. Turkey is great any day, not just on Thanksgiving :o Too bad it's so hard to find that ready made pie crust here as pie filling can be found at most supermarkets.

My lovely wife, myself, and another couple will be celebrating Thanksgiving on Cape Cod, in the good old U.S.of A. We will be having sticky rice, grilled chicken wings, nam prik mangda, nam prik pbla sap, hor muk(made from a beautiful striped bass I caught myself), dtom ka gai, stuffed mushrooms, shrimp cocktail, caramel cheesecake(with whipped cream), apple pie, roasted cashews, pistachio nuts, oatmeal raisin cookies, chocolate chip cookies, spinach and artichoke dip(with crackers) lots of wine, and cold beer........(items may not be served in this order!!)

Not a turkey in sight.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!! :D:D:o:D

Edited by pumpuiman

Turkeys (small ones) can be bought at Foodland. I'm not sure what other places sell them. Turkey is great any day, not just on Thanksgiving :o Too bad it's so hard to find that ready made pie crust here as pie filling can be found at most supermarkets.

Yep, and you can get a turkey in Chiang Mai from the Rim Ping superstore --they will roast it for you with rosemary stuffing and very good gravy... which is what we had just now... just like at home.. The only thing missing was the football!!!

Yes give thanks to Squanto the Indian.

A true and interesting story about Squanto is that after the Pilgrims got to America they did not see any Indians for several weeks, they had heard of them and worried about them. One day, while out hunting, they saw their first Indian (ok, Native American) off in the distance and he began to approach them, they prepared for the worst as this "savage" walked toward them. When he was in earshot, he yelled, in English, "hello, do you have any beer?"

Squanto had been taken before by Englishman to England as a showpiece, learned the language and developed a liking for beer.

True story, but beer does not go good with turkey and trimmings

Jeff

Today's the day that, if I were back in the States, I or some friend or family member would assume the task of cooking up a huge turkey and all the trimmings... stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes (yams), and at least fifteen other side dishes of all descriptions, and probably a baked ham as well just for good measure.

Folks will stuff themselves silly, go back for seconds, thirds, and for the truly fat gluttonous bastards, as many times as their host will permit them to refill their plate.

Beer, wine, and whiskey will be quaffed. Massive headaches and stomachaches will result. Leftovers will be eaten as a midnight snack.

It's a ritual that, disgusting as it sounds, I will sorely miss, being here in the LOS.

Happy Thanksgiving to my fellow Yanks out there, and anyone else who cares!

Jing Jing,

Hey, brother! Happy Thanksgiving! Getting ready to sit down to the feast in another hour or so. Wonderful aromas fill the house and the beers are cold and the football is on. But, it's cold and rainy, and will get worse before I get my arse back to Surin. Things are good though and everyone is well. Have a nice day. Maybe go over to my shop and have my wife cook you up a nice curry for Thanksgiving? I'll call later this week.

Cent