SURVEY: Should Marijuana be legalized?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you believe that Marijuana should be legalized in Thailand?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. SURVEY: Do you believe that Marijuana should be legalized in Thailand:

• Yes, but only for those with medical conditions for which it is suspected or known for being effective.
    • Yes, I believe it should be legalized for both medical and recreational use.
    • No, I do not believe that legalizing Marijuana is a good idea.

This poll is closed to new votes

21 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Why is it nonsense. And who are these 'millions of users'. Pal.

Do you actually expect me to quote examples of criminals involved with drugs? Go and spend a morning in the public gallery of you local magistrates court or its equivalent and see for yourself.

I'm claiming most petty crime is committed to get drug money and most petty criminals have a history of drug abuse. If you challenge this claim show some statistics to the contrary.

You overlook one small fact.

Mary Jane is not a drug, it is a herb.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, car720 said:

This is a ridiculous claim.

Do you not understand the definition of drug? Do you not understand that organic substances can also be drugs?

your statement sounds like something some kid spews out to his pals as he passes around the bong.

My daughter is in the pot biz in California.  She makes $250/day supervising a group of foreign backpackers who travel to CA to trim buds.  They're called 'trimmigrants'.   It's all cash.  Her bosses are 6 guys who each invested $50k in the biz.  Growing pot is legal in CA and half the US states.  It will soon be legal in all of the USA. 

Pot is a relatively harmless drug (arguably less harmful than tobacco or nicotine or sugar or MSG).  In the US, while corps don't yet control the growing of it, ...it enriches hundreds of thousands of growers.  Even little ol' grandmas are growing it in their backyard and making a few thousand added $$'s/year.  Pot does not contribute to traffic deaths any more than MSG or Twinkies.  If pot was legal to grow in Thailand, tens of thousands of Thai farmers would be making as much baht as bankers.  

Similarly, allowing Thai farmers to grow hemp (as Chinese, Canadian, European farmers are allowed), would give them a lot more income than from rice.

Note:  booze sellers don't have to worry that increased pot smoking will lessen booze sales.  Studies have shown that drinkers will drink as much fermented sugar - whether stoned on pot or not. 

Thailand will legalize pot because it always follows the direction of the US re; drug laws.  However, because Thailand is governed by archaic-thinking old people, they're going to be slow in becoming aware of what's sensible.  My guess:  around 2030.

Perhaps self-appointed leaders like the idea of keeping rice farmers poor (they're the biggest block of voters) and ignorant.  That would also explain why the Thai school system is below-par.  When a vast block of voters are poor and ignorant, they're easier to manipulate.

This may have already been said, but marijuana (กัญชา) is used in cooking, at least in the Northeast, especially soups. As others have said, the biggest drawback to legalization (in any country) is the business it will take away from the kingpins. 

23 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Britain as well as other countries has seen it's standards drop and its society has been on a downward spiral ever since marijuana was introduced and has been more or less accepted.

Perhaps also due to other social factors such as increased consumption of alcohol.

The extension of licensing hours in England and Wales has triggered a rise in binge drinking and an associated increase in mental and physical health problems. 

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/mar/20/opening-hours-binge-drinking

Ganja is not a drug , it is a plant/weed from the natural kingdom that has been used for thousands upon thousands of years , even the ancients in biblical history ( called the mushroom heads/hats ) where consuming magic mushrooms and much of ancient history is filled with the accounts of these religious elders scribing down their accounts and how they communed with their understanding of GOD.  The research has already been done long long ago if you care to find it. Also the war on drugs started from the criminal president Richard millhouse Nixon and is ALL a mandate of the private corporation called the UN. Look it up. It is easy to find. NAH that's to hard, it is easier to just complain and echo the narrative. Remember this no one has died from ganja , just making it illegal and turning it underground to criminals. 

Ganja is not legal because it grows so abundant without human care. If it were legalized it would upset the world economy by making THE CRIMINAL BIG PHARMA IRRELEVANT. I can just imagine who the 6+% said no. Give me a break.

It's medical uses are undisputed in the West, ranging from cancer treatments to pain control as well as glaucoma and stomach problems. 

At Woodstock there were 400.000 people gathered with no fights reported, love and peace was the theme. Put 10 drunks in a bar and you have a row. 

17 hours ago, bazza40 said:

Agree, with one caveat. If you commit a crime under the influence of any drug, you can't use that as a cop-out to reduce the sentence.

There is some evidence heavy marijuana use can lead to psychosis in about 30% of users. However, that's probably no worse than the alcohol-fuelled violence prevalent in many countries.

A senior policeman in Australia has said the police force can't arrest their way out of the ice problem there. The evidence says much of the drug-related crime would disappear if the drugs were legal, because there would no longer be any excess profit in it for suppliers. Or crime fuelled by the craving for a fix.

BTW, apart from a couple of shots of whisky, I'm not a drug user. Have never smoked marijuana. I  don't see the attraction of being in thrall to any chemical, just because it makes you briefly feel good.

Alcohol is an example of a drug that was one prohibited and is now legal (USA). Of the affirmative legal defenses in court, intoxication is not one of them. In fact, some crimes are escalated when intoxication is a factor for example vehicular homicide.  Although I did not include it in my original post the concept was that legalized drugs would carry with them the same responsibility that alcohol does.  The truth is that government agencies (CIA)  and pharmaceutical companies make more by keeping the drugs illegal as opposed to legalizing them so they will stay that way.  The only reason the US is slowly moving towards legalizing marijuana is for the potential revenue stream for the IRS and once again big pharma.  They just need to slip the legislation passed the Bible Belt.

On 28/08/2016 at 2:34 AM, burgdawg said:

Legalize it in Thailand...falangs pay 12% sales tax and kon Tai pay 5%.

The medical marijuana stores in New Mexico and Colorado are doing BRISK business.

Add in Oregon. The tax base is happy.

Great stuff for neuropathy, chemotherapy, depression, end-of-life issues. GREAT for sleeping! Like a nugget of edible.

View the Granddaddy of the medical mj movement, Candian Rick Simpson

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hmYNLF7NBw

No, we all pay the SAME sales tax. That's like saying Westerners pay more for cigarettes than Thais do. Inane comment, unless it was ironic, of course. Stop encouraging double pricing.

13 hours ago, nisakiman said:

Sorry. Nicotine is not addictive at all. That's just propaganda, and you've swallowed it hook, line and sinker.

http://cagecanada.blogspot.gr/2010/12/beliefs-manipulation-and-lies-in.html

Pardon my ignorance, :wai: If Professor Robert Molimard states that Queen Elizabeth I was totally misguided, about her chiding Sir Walter Raleigh for importing the "scourge" of the tobacco smoking addiction to Britain, back in1590, then whatever Professor Molimard has to say on the topic, is (of course) the "undisputed" gospel truth. Thanks for the education update! Cheers!:coffee1:    

Not a user personally

But given the damage all narco traffic provokes, I'm in favor of legalizing within a controlled legal/scientific framework where addicted people would get advice and help while traffickers would be left with no market

4 hours ago, car720 said:

What about cannabis, is that a drug. Along with marijuana it's legally refered to as a Class B drug in the UK.

11 minutes ago, leopeek said:

why not legalize :)

its legal in holland for over 20 years and the problems are much less than before wen it was illigal

I would say some cultures show much greater personal responsibility than other cultures. 

For example, I find many drivers in Thailand drive under the influence of alcohol in the evening.

4 hours ago, tcris52 said:

This may have already been said, but marijuana (กัญชา) is used in cooking, at least in the Northeast, especially soups. As others have said, the biggest drawback to legalization (in any country) is the business it will take away from the kingpins. 

That's not a drawback, that's an obstacle.

On 28 augustus 2016 at 10:09 AM, z42 said:

In a word, no. I think some degree of decriminalization is needed though. However there needs to be some control applied to its usage and availability. Weed definitely does affect people differently, and when you have people driving and working under the influence I feel that isn't right.

It is a difficult one really. I see the merits in legalization, but also see the massive potential for some people to completely destroy themselves on it if such a move was made.

For medicinal purposes it is a no brainer that it should be allowed if doctors recommend it for use

Feels like you are writing about alcohol and tobacco.

Using Marijuana was a common thing in Asia, Arabië and Africa for at least 2000 years. Untill gouvernements start to interfere. They criminalised it, and there the dissaster started. If used with sence, it's a lot better than the legal drug called alcohol.

not so long ago, marijuana was common to use and grow in Thailand. Never any problem until gouvernements interfered.

my wife's father growed it himself like many people in his village did.

like I say for 50 years now 'a joint a day keeps the doctor away'.

5 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Note:  booze sellers don't have to worry that increased pot smoking will lessen booze sales.  Studies have shown that drinkers will drink as much fermented sugar - whether stoned on pot or not. 

Thailand will legalize pot because it always follows the direction of the US re; drug laws.  However, because Thailand is governed by archaic-thinking old people, they're going to be slow in becoming aware of what's sensible.  My guess:  around 2030.

Perhaps self-appointed leaders like the idea of keeping rice farmers poor (they're the biggest block of voters) and ignorant.  That would also explain why the Thai school system is below-par.  When a vast block of voters are poor and ignorant, they're easier to manipulate.

Yeah...what do old people know?

I remember reading many, if not all, Asian cultures used to respect the wisdom of the elders in the community based on their many years experience.

What a foolish concept. Much better to ask a bunch of kids with their head burried in Pokeman what is the smart move.

Ofcourse, the vast majority of TVF posters what would be considered substance abuse issues in first world measures so we know their vote.

14 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Yeah...what do old people know?

I remember reading many, if not all, Asian cultures used to respect the wisdom of the elders in the community based on their many years experience.

What a foolish concept. Much better to ask a bunch of kids with their head burried in Pokeman what is the smart move.

Ofcourse, the vast majority of TVF posters what would be considered substance abuse issues in first world measures so we know their vote.

Certainly young people don't know everything but that doesn't equate to old people knowing everything!

29 minutes ago, damo said:

can't adults decide. we haven't even worked out if its actually bad. give it a chance.

It has worked out. Look to the situation in the Netherlands and look at the studies for the last years. More and more countries legalize it.

5 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

Certainly young people don't know everything but that doesn't equate to old people knowing everything!

If I said that old people know everything then I apologize.

But I am not sure I did.

If my posts have been read, then it is understood I live in CO which along with WA has fully legalized MJ (meaning no medical need is required). 

The verdict is still out since it has been less than 2 years.

The negative social problems will take some years to accurately measure but some have been immediate. 

what we are finding is that the argument pot is far less dangerous than alcohol is proving untrue. It was easy to make this claim when pot was illegal because evidence was minimal. 

What I don't see on this thread is educated discussion. There is no mention of social issues, there is no mention on how to measure its abuse by drivers on public roadways, there are comparisons made to pot smoked in the 60's and this is a ridiculous comparison. Average THc content is 28+ nowadays compared to <10 back then.

These are the things an old guy thinks about before he says, "Yeah dude, make it legal".

Archived