SURVEY: Should Marijuana be legalized?

Scott

SURVEY: Do you believe that Marijuana should be legalized in Thailand?  

413 members have voted

1. 1. SURVEY: Do you believe that Marijuana should be legalized in Thailand:

• Yes, but only for those with medical conditions for which it is suspected or known for being effective.
    • Yes, I believe it should be legalized for both medical and recreational use.
    • No, I do not believe that legalizing Marijuana is a good idea.

This poll is closed to new votes

11 hours ago, MockingJay said:

All regular Marihuana user I know and/or ever have worked with were: 
1) Ineffective

2) Lots of talk, but no action

3) Unreliable

4) Slow (acting AND thinking)
5) Irresponsible

6) Always had an excuse for their own shortcomings, mostly others were to blame
7) Partial or complete disconnection from reality
8) Telling others what they "SHOULD" do, i.e. become vegetarian, vegan, etc. while themselves living an utterly unhealthy lifestyle (party all night sleep at work, drinking, Ganja, smoking, I don't need a helmet, etc.)
9) Complete overinflated self esteem (most were complete losers to be honest)
10) Changing jobs frequently, always someone else to be blamed for that
11) Unhappy and edgy whenever "sober"... (which basically means whenever they had to physically work)

Sure - legalize that stuff and make sure that the world tumbles even deeper into stupidity...

It is impossible for the human beings to stumble deeper into stupidity. The species definitely reached it's apex, in that regard, a very long-time ago,  just in case you haven't noticed.........:coffee1: 

Apparently, your peculiar exposure to marijuana (ahem, marihuana) smokers is quite limited, indeed.:whistling:

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 28 August 2016 at 5:32 AM, yogi100 said:

Gunga Din was a poem written by Rudyard Kipling in 1892.

The use of marijuana was mainly first seen in the 1960s to a limited degree then the 70s and 80s saw the widespread appearance of marijuana in the UK. It was introduced by West Indians.

It's always existed but In the 1950s no one I knew had even heard of it, neither had you heard of ganga or 'gunga' if that's what you meant.

Cannabis hemp was widely grown across Britain in the Middle Ages, from at least 800 to 1800 AD, though the amount grown varied widely through the centuries. It was mainly grown for fibre which was used to make sails, ropes, fishing nets and clothes. Old clothes were recycled into paper. Oil was produced from the seeds and was burned in lamps. It was also  used as a medicine and for food. Even the Romans used it in Britain.

On 30/08/2016 at 10:42 AM, MockingJay said:

All regular Marihuana user I know and/or ever have worked with were: 
1) Ineffective

2) Lots of talk, but no action

3) Unreliable

4) Slow (acting AND thinking)
5) Irresponsible

6) Always had an excuse for their own shortcomings, mostly others were to blame
7) Partial or complete disconnection from reality
8) Telling others what they "SHOULD" do, i.e. become vegetarian, vegan, etc. while themselves living an utterly unhealthy lifestyle (party all night sleep at work, drinking, Ganja, smoking, I don't need a helmet, etc.)
9) Complete overinflated self esteem (most were complete losers to be honest)
10) Changing jobs frequently, always someone else to be blamed for that
11) Unhappy and edgy whenever "sober"... (which basically means whenever they had to physically work)

Sure - legalize that stuff and make sure that the world tumbles even deeper into stupidity...

Thats not the weed thats just the people

i have always hated this notion that drugs change people, while it can be argued to an extent

it is not always the case, and the people who stand out the most, ie the ones you notice

would be like that regardless as it is in their nature

your description sounds like most people i meet, that do not smoke

it actually sounds like 50% of working class people

and point number 8 clearly shows you dont really have first hand knowledge of people that need cannabis for living

the people you describe, like to party, which means alcohol more than cannabis smoker

basically someone that will get drunk and take whatever, thats just not the same

Most smokers i know (a lot more than most) prefer NOT to drink alcohol or go partying.

it seems you just surround yourself with clowns, who will smoke weed.

i know many people that run very successful businesses and smoke

my friends father owns an insurance company in UK <deleted>

he is absolutely minted, yet he still (and always has) enjoys weed

and trust me he buys the creme de la creme

i even know many people that run successful businesses while they are class A addicts

and usually the addiction is what makes them work so hard

but they always put work before play

drugs have nothing to do with how a person is, its all down to the individual

people can be successful and take drugs

people can be complete duckin morons whether they use drugs or not

we are all just products of society

i always used to use a phrase when people would comment that using drugs make you a bad person

but the reality is

if your an a-hole your an a-hole

but like i said the people you describe are not smokers, they are party goers

and their behaviour you describe has nothing to do with weed

it is to do with the fact they have been out partying all night every night drinking ALCOHOL

have you seen the difference in a stoned driver compared to a drunk driver ?

have you ever seen a bunch of stoned people get in a mass brawl ?

have you ever heard of heavy stoners getting liver damage and needing hospitals ?

have you ever heard of a stoner hippie getting stoned and coming home to beat the wife and kids ?

Have you ever actually thought about how other people live outside your bubble ?

On 30/08/2016 at 4:13 PM, yogi100 said:

How about showing us a graph or chart that shows how many hard drug users like those on heroin, crack, meth and cocaine started off on marijuana?

they didnt "start" on marijuana, they started on either nicotine or alcohol

On 8/30/2016 at 4:13 PM, yogi100 said:

How about showing us a graph or chart that shows how many hard drug users like those on heroin, crack, meth and cocaine started off on marijuana?

How about showing us a graph or chart that shows how many hard drug uses like those on heroin, crack, meth and cocaine started off on paracetamol.

Equally pointless.

If someone wants to take ANY drug, let them - it's their own body. Regulate production and distribution (with prescriptions if necessary) - that will solve your issue with petty crime and independent drug barons.

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 2:13 AM, yogi100 said:

How about showing us a graph or chart that shows how many hard drug users like those on heroin, crack, meth and cocaine started off on alcohol? Most likely, pretty much ALL of them.

4 hours ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

How about showing us a graph or chart that shows how many hard drug uses like those on heroin, crack, meth and cocaine started off on paracetamol.

Equally pointless.

If someone wants to take ANY drug, let them - it's their own body. Regulate production and distribution (with prescriptions if necessary) - that will solve your issue with petty crime and independent drug barons.

The weak link in this idea is that you can't regulate by prescriptions. 

An addict wants more more more and when his doctor quits upping his script then he will attempt to get it by other means such as theft of pharmacies, and having multiple doctors, etc.. 

We saw this with the "Oxycodone" epidemic.

With hard addictive drugs I am a believer that keeping it out of the publics hands to begin with is the best practice. never give their body a taste to begin with. 

• 9 months later...
13 minutes ago, bangkokairportlink said:

Nice to see that not all Thaivisa voters are old grumpy men who understand nothing about nowadays world !

Likely most of the old men here were potheads when they were kids. :stoner:

On 8/30/2016 at 2:55 AM, JayBeeee said:

I can, and do, only speak from experience. I know that, on occasion, I have been too stoned to drive, which really only started when the hybrid skunks came along in the 80s; so, I can see how it's possible to cause traffic accidents by being stoned in those conditions. However, generally speaking, I find I'm far more considerate and attentive on the road, 'in tune' with the conditions, and far less prone to distraction, if I've been smoking.

I'm sure some here will be able to relate to one phenomenon I've experienced many times while driving home at night; the sudden alarm of not recognising where the hell I am, even on a route I've driven a thousand times before on a daily basis. While this used to cause considerable panic in the beginning, and I had to remind myself where I was coming from and where I was going to, I eventually learned to rationalise the problem with the knowledge that I was on the right road and I would recognise something around the next bend or two, which was invariably the case. But that certainly doesn't mean my driving skills, attention or responses were at all impared; I would say quite the opposite, I was so in tune with the road and driving, where it lead was of little consequence. There could also be a small measure of the short-term memory imparement that is associated with smoking ganja.

I've found that a major difference between being too stoned to drive and being too drunk, is that when I'm too stoned, I know it, and the last thing I want to do is drive a car. Being too drunk, on the other hand, ... well, nuff said!

But I do understand that some people want to be as stoned as possible and don't have much in the way of good judgement, and consequently can get into unfortunate situations. But I wouldn't agree with the blanket statement that THC impares driving skills.

Riding a motorbike on a long-distance summer journey (300 miles, London to Land's End, Cornwall), stopping occasionally for a single skinner, is an absolute pleasure which I would recommend to anyone with the slightest sense of freedom in their heart!

Er!... who am I writing this to?

Erm...  I was all for legalizing Marajuana until I read this post...  you are a bad advert for legalization of dope and you don't even recognize it.....    'So in tune with driving you had no idea where you were' ??? this is some grade A1, top drawer dope head bumf...   like drink drivers, you are danger to those around you. 

I was of the opinion that Marajuana is a safe and harmless drug, but really, it may need some level of control, much like alcohol in the wrong hands, or rather in the hands of those not alert enough to recognize themselves it can be dangerous, especially when driving. 

So, I'm for legalizing it, but not with the level of freedom I once thought.... I'm for harsh laws for those who use it antisocially, i.e. when driving etc...  the post above proves that people simply cannot take responsibility for their actions and will come up with any excuse, believing their own BS when justifying their actions.

JayBeeeee Talk about pulling the wool over your own eyes... if you weren't stoned when writing this, then perhaps thats another nail in the 'pro legalization coffin'..... live long and prosper...

Edit: And if you are wondering why I've replied to a 10 month old post... I've been on some good Sh!t man !!!! (and only just noticed that this thread had be re-ignited)...

On August 27, 2016 at 11:46 PM, csabo said:

I think all illicit narcotics should be legalized.  I never met one person who used drugs who said the law prohibiting their use or possession was a consideration.  I never knew one non-user who said it was only the law preventing him.  I don't think the statistics of users vs non-users would change that much if the laws were eliminated.  I know it would not change my choice.

I agree. Legalization of all drugs would cripple organized crime. Use the taxes to treat those that need it. Win - win.  I'm glad Canada has targeted July 1, 2018 for the pot legalization law to take effect.

Bad idea. Think about all the consequences:

- Massive losses of profit for tobacco companies

- Massive losses for pharmaceutical companies

- Loss of jobs: prison guards (correctional officers), suppression officers, police

- Organized crime leaders forced to turn to other criminal activities

- More tax revenue for the government to encourage submarine purchases

- Breaking families apart: police officers forced to move away from family to find work

- More hemp plastic = less petrol plastic = less greenhouse effect = more people = more traffic jams

- With people turning away from tobacco, a lot of doctors will lose their jobs and some hospitals will lose profit

On 8/27/2016 at 8:09 PM, z42 said:

In a word, no. I think some degree of decriminalization is needed though. However there needs to be some control applied to its usage and availability. Weed definitely does affect people differently, and when you have people driving and working under the influence I feel that isn't right.

It is a difficult one really. I see the merits in legalization, but also see the massive potential for some people to completely destroy themselves on it if such a move was made.

For medicinal purposes it is a no brainer that it should be allowed if doctors recommend it for use

Hard to see your "massive potential for some to destroy themselves".   Generally speaking, that only happens with alcohol and other hard drugs.  The negative consequences of pot have been studied for more than 40 years with often times a bias push to 'find the bad stuff" when researchers are paid by government funding sources.  The best that non-bias research can do is conclude that heavy and chronic use ( for some people ) can make you a bit stupid regarding short-term memory and recall and an a-motivational syndrome while using.  However, those brain abnormalities cease  after the user stops smoking.   Young kids with developing brains do run a risk of  problems from heavy use but can anyone find  me a kid that can't find a joint even while  pot remains illegal?  However, if your looking for "massive destruction" just look no further than alcohol.  It's funny, I have a good buddy that lectures everyone on the evils of pot use while he is dealing with a cirrhotic liver from alcohol and jailed twice for his second DUI. Consumption of alcohol has destroyed millions of lives world wide.   By the way, I'm not and never have been a pot user.   Before retiring, I was a subject matter expert for substance abuse issues for the court system in the USA.   I have seen countless people who have had to deal with incarceration and terrible employment related issues due to being arrested for  "the evil weed"  

Marijuana today the hard stuff will follow as those taking marijuana look to get an even higher high FACT.

Alcohol

This tread is not about Alcohol, but you can start another thread if you want, there is always one trying to confuse the issue.

I left Los. In California now. This new gold rush has seen me come out of my early retirement to assist in expanding an existing grow. Everyone and there brother is getting into it. 

It's hard to fathom what's going on here. There's about five years before the big boys can get into it.

I'm all for it.

Easy answer. Nope, it should not be legalized here. Just feeling the joy of experiencing a country that doesn´t have to go the same way like Britain and US of A in some states.

However, everyone is entitled to their opinion. Just hoping that it will take as long time as humanly possible, before that day comes.

31 minutes ago, steven100 said:

NO.    There are enough drug addicts in the world as it is ..... 

why should I pay extra taxes so drug addicts can use needle rooms and support services.

drugs are illegal .... 

it's the law ...

Marijuana users do not use needles or support service. If the law is changed then they will be legal, and it would still be the law.

1 minute ago, Ahab said:

Marijuana users do not use needles or support service. If the law is changed then they will be legal, and it would still be the law.

right, however some users of marijuana users do go on to harder drugs such as ice. Also i have seen first hand that marijuana users tend to be less active and don't make most of their lives in that they are not utilized to their full potential, not all but some ... and generally it wreaks lives imo.

The desire to get intoxicated, as it occurs so frequently throughout the history of the human race, can be seen to be part of the human condition stemming from, IMV, the inherent need to reconcile the dichotomy we humans find ourselves in i.e. part animal, part thinker.

In civil society, tradition often dictates what one's particular poison is and in what circumstances one takes it.  Alcohol in most modern societies is a controlled drug i.e. drink/driving laws, age limits, laws prohibiting being under the influence of it at work etc..

I believe marijuana, like alcohol should, generally, be a controlled drug and not legalised but decriminalised where presently it's criminalised however not in Thailand until such a time that Thailand has 'developed' i.e. gotten over itself and past the Thainess barrier.  I say this because I think the decriminalisation of marijuana requires a certain mind set and a legal system not yet present in the kingdom.

The war on drugs generally, where it has been waged, has been lost but with marijuana it can be argued that a comparison to alcohol makes its criminalisation unreasonable where alcohol is not criminalised and of course when decriminalised it could be taxed and its quality controlled. 

I would go with 2 different ideas.

1.  Legalise it... and every other drug.  Let people do what they like with the drugs... some people will use them responsibly, some people won't use them... and others were mess up their lives.  Personal responsibility.

2.  Ban all drugs.. even alcohol.  This would be a big shake up of society.  But after a few years people are going to be a lot more healthy and accidents and crime from drugs would be far reduced.

I can't see how its logical to pick and choose what drugs to legalise or ban. 

11 hours ago, steven100 said:

right, however some users of marijuana users do go on to harder drugs such as ice. Also i have seen first hand that marijuana users tend to be less active and don't make most of their lives in that they are not utilized to their full potential, not all but some ... and generally it wreaks lives imo.

The same could be said about alcohol, but it is legal. I am not saying it is all good, but if it is legal you get the drug cartels out of it. Very similar to getting the mafia out of the alcohol business after prohibition was repealed in the USA.

Archived