10 or 14 carat gold ?

hawkeye76

Is it possible to find 10 or 14 carat gold necklaces in thailand? 

Im interested in buying in bangkok, but i cannot find anything.

I am looking for bigger sizes necklaces (50-120 gram), so maybe i need someone to make them..

Any idea where to go, or what my next move should be..

Thanx,

My guess is you would only find  gold as you describe in antique or second hand shops. Thais only like the shiny soft stuff.

And the soft shiny stiff is 99% pure gold. The West likes it diluted with nickel and other cheap metals. Which is more valuable?

Who mentioned value ? I was stating a fact. I'm well aware of the diluted western product. Less value but much more robust & long wearing for everyday use.

I answered the OP's question, with what I feel is a reasonable idea. YOU have any worthwhile contribution on the topic, "Is it possible to find 10 or 14 carat gold necklaces in thailand" ???

Places like Mahboonkrong and other big shopping plaza might stock on them

selling at premium price with no relation to the gold content,

pawnshops in places like Pattaya might have them as some foreigners hard

for cash are unloading them there.....

Not that l bother much these days as l did at first, from what l came know of Thai gold jewelry l would say you'll find 18 carat necklaces or chain styles easier to buy than trying to find lesser carat value stuff in Thailand. 

Might be hard to find.....If it doesn't look to be "gold" enough the Thais automatically reject it.....So no dealer wants to carry as it has no appeal = no sales.....

The only place I've ever seen it was a jeweler that specialized in sales to the US & one of the owners routinely travelled there to deliver Thai gold 98.6......

I'd taken an 18K gold necklace there for repair and there was one trade in piece there that also appeared to be 18K (looked cheap).....I can understand why the Thais would reject it as cheap/phoney.....

I think India is the only nation with a higher gold standard......

Our matching wedding rings are Thai gold with our names engrained in the design.....My wife's is pretty much unscathed but mine has had to be straightened a couple of times.....

But now I feel the gold from the US looks cheap......

From my understanding the classifications come based upon the level of impurities....The lower the K, the more impurities.....

I'd rather have the quality over the strength factor - leaves too much margin to get (sold, ripped off) shafted....

Edited by pgrahmm

45 minutes ago, Spaniel said:

Just as a point of interest, last month I sold a 14K gold chain, 33 g,  to a jewelry shop in Pattaya for B25,000.

Out of interest how was it and how did the chain be accessed as 14 carat. ?

Good grief, it's not that "western gold is adulterated" it's that it comes in varying purities. If you want pure gold in the west buy 24 karat. 

As far as "running a test on it," yourself just use Archimedes principle.

13 hours ago, Spaniel said:

The chain was stamped as 14K.      The shop I sold it to also ran a test on it.

OK yeah just realized 'K' it was probably American chain.

l am use to 'C '  uk  9...18....22. which usually access from colour or ( color). :D

15 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Out of interest how was it and how did the chain be accessed as 14 carat. ?

There is test method with different concentrations of a certain acid.

More details from Google.

A company:

https://www.tifoo.de/en-uk/products/gold-und-silver-tester/

https://www.tifoo.de/en-uk/detail/index/sArticle/97

available testing acids: 8, 14, 18, 21 karats

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 minutes ago, KhunBENQ said:

There is test method with different concentrations of a certain acid.

More details from Google.

A company:

https://www.tifoo.de/en-uk/products/gold-und-silver-tester/

Yes thanks l know of those methods l was just interested in how the shop he used accessed the value and he answered. :thumbsup:

Technically speaking, 10 carat gold is not gold, because more than 50% of the substance is not gold.

In most countries only 18 carats and more is allowed to be called "gold" without risking to deceive the customer.

Most Thai gold shops sell 24 carat gold, which is rather soft, can be bent by hand, and not suited for holding gems. Even the necklace clasps are so soft that they bend and you risk losing it.

24 carat gold is only just for investment/speculation.

If you want to use it for holding gems like diamonds, rubies etc, get 18 carat gold.

Most Thai shops around Thailand as a whole sell 23 karat not as some believe 24 in Bkk some sell  22..20..18.

In others countries wouldn't know really why technically would come into jewelry, you can have a copper bracelet electronically gold plated, and you can get beautiful 8 karat gold items.

Diamonds are set in 22 carat gold when ordered and yes 18 carat is advised by goldsmiths because of clasp strength.

If you or your wife have a nice Thai gold chain get a thicker clasp for it instead of the ones that usually come with it, they are available and be exchanged with the original for little cost.