PM hails new trains - service from Bangkok to Chiang Mai slashed by three hours

webfact

5 minutes ago, Kru Baa said:

Shaved three hours of the trip by ignoring all safety measures and driving like a maniac:clap2:

Vans..............maybe. Trains....controlled by a rail traffic controller and signals. Only travel at posted track speeds or slower.

They may be old trains, but they do have conscientious operators. Accidents always caused by idiots trying to pit their vehicle against far greater tonnage.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

11 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

Vans..............maybe. Trains....controlled by a rail traffic controller and signals. Only travel at posted track speeds or slower.

They may be old trains, but they do have conscientious operators. Accidents always caused by idiots trying to pit their vehicle against far greater tonnage.

Conscientious operators !!!! 

Thanks for that, made my day:)

The fastest train that I can find takes 2 hours from Bangkok to Chiangmai. Reducing this by 3 hours still leaves 9 hours

The slowest UK equivalent, London to Edinburgh, takes a maximum of  just under 6 hours

I'm hoping the undergear is fully up to date design and technology to make it a smooth ride. For me that's one of the attractions of very modern rail transport - the Japanese  shinkanzen fast trains have none of the old clickety clack and continuous jerking - just a very smooth ride.  

1 hour ago, cornishcarlos said:

Conscientious operators !!!! 

Thanks for that, made my day:)

I am pleased to have been able to make your day just a bit better. Perhaps you can clue me in on why you possibly feel they are not conscientious given the management and equipment they must work with every day..  Give it a try.

10 minutes ago, scorecard said:

I'm hoping the undergear is fully up to date design and technology to make it a smooth ride. For me that's one of the attractions of very modern rail transport - the Japanese  shinkanzen fast trains have none of the old clickety clack and continuous jerking - just a very smooth ride.  

Much of Thailand's track work has been replaced with continuous weld rail, thus partly eliminating the "clickety-clack", which only occurs when passing over switches and crossovers. 

13 minutes ago, ratcatcher said:

I am pleased to have been able to make your day just a bit better. Perhaps you can clue me in on why you possibly feel they are not conscientious given the management and equipment they must work with every day..  Give it a try.

Ok, I'll have a stab at it..... It's Thailand ? The land of no responsibility !!

My girlfriend is Chinese.  When I told her that Thailand just bought a bunch of new trains from China,  she said, "We just got new ones in some cities, did they buy our old ones? "

Anyone know if these are truly NEW cars or if they are repourpsed ones? 

5 minutes ago, dcnx said:

My girlfriend is Chinese.  When I told her that Thailand just bought a bunch of new trains from China,  she said, "We just got new ones in some cities, did they buy our old ones? "

Anyone know if these are truly NEW cars or if they are repourpsed ones? 

http://english.cri.cn/12394/2016/08/29/2021s938744.htm

you be the judge.

Chinese trains run on standard gauge track, Thai trains on SRT mainlines run on metre gauge. So must be new stock.

Edited by ratcatcher

Disappointing. He could so easily have lauded the new trains but he chose to hail them instead.:(

Sometimes the English language for all its richness comes up short in Thailand. As a sort of challenge can tv posters come up with any other words to convey the PMs enthusiasm other than hail and laud ? I'll kick of with 'praises ' to get the ball rolling away from the much flogged words praises and lauds.

3 minutes ago, Denim said:

Disappointing. He could so easily have lauded the new trains but he chose to hail them instead.:(

Sometimes the English language for all its richness comes up short in Thailand. As a sort of challenge can tv posters come up with any other words to convey the PMs enthusiasm other than hail and laud ? I'll kick of with 'praises ' to get the ball rolling away from the much flogged words praises and lauds.

Premier Prayuth publicly panegyrizes profusely over new Chinese trains.

7 hours ago, rhodie said:

I suspect that means it will now run on time. Normally runs 3 hours late when I have used it. :)

If that's likely I'd expect the reporter to grab the opportunity to hype up the headline to "service from Bangkok to Chiang Mai to arrive six hours earlier'.

11 hours ago, colinneil said:

Fancy new trains, same old worn out tracks.

Recipe for disaster.

The track replaced recently was cheap Chinese steel that warped causing derailments.  So, they probably replaced the tracks with new cheap Chinese steel, and then put Chinese cars on top.  I hope there is a warranty.

New trains, continuously welded rail and new concrete sleepers with adequate amounts of good ballast will improve the service times greatly but the alignment of the single, uncambered line through the mountains will restrict speeds to well below 120kph for long parts of the journey.    However; at least there are signs of improvement which is encouraging.

17 hours ago, sahibji said:

sir there is a month of testing and the tracks will be all checked up before the commencement of the commercial service.

Not sure how long you have lived in Thailand. So you may not know this.

Two years ago the Minister who was in charge of the State Railway Noticed that a big painting in the lobby of the

Railway building had cracks in the paint and was in need of repair.  He said this painting was the reason why there were so many trains derailing and crashing. He order the painting to be fixed.

After the painting was restored and painted again. He announced in a Press Conference that he had fixed the problem and there would be no more train crashes. And to prove his point he rode on the first train from Bangkok to the North of Thailand.  

Guess what happened ? This train derailed ! You can Google it.

So one month or one year of testing ?

As I said; I hope it is safe and has no problems.

On 29 สิงหาคม 2559 at 1:13 PM, scorecard said:

Actually a very long section of the track mid Thailand to CM was totally relaid with all new materials about 18 months ago.

True. Some people aren't paying attention.

The entire trip is much smoother now. Where it will not succeed in getting there faster is having to wait, as they do now, for opposing trains to pass on the single track system. Also, if there is a slower train in front they can't go faster than that.

The current day trains are a disgrace, so I hope they are going to replace them.

Edited by thaibeachlovers