company that does work to make the house more secure?

Awk

Greetings.  Can anyone recommend a company or guy that does decent work related to making the average middle class house slightly more secure?  

I'm thinking about simpler things like making the front door more secure by installing a more solid locking mechanism and hinges, probably also replacing the door, built of I'm not sure exactly what, with a door made of solid wood.  The windows look like they will slide open if you pull a little hard, the locking mechanism not withstanding.  Can something be done about that?  Possibly installing steel fences on the outside of windows as well, as well as whatever other tips a competent person in this business might have.

I.e., not fort knox, just making things a little better.  Any recommendations, or even information about people who do these type of things?

get your shelia, to drop into your closest police station,to get on  Red Police Box  service around 1000 baht a month, they will drop in everyday at different times

sure perhaps not what u are requesting, but will do a very good job, and save you thousands:)

its a    Genesis    good morning to all my readers:D

It sounds as though you've got a pretty good idea of the things that need doing so why not just get a decent contractor to do the things you specify? Treat door and hinge replacement as one item, window locks as another and window bars as a third. I've never come across anyone in Thailand who sells themselves as a building security expert, much of it is common sense anyway so my advice would be, don't waste a lot of time trying to find something that may not exist.

BTW if you need the contact number/name of a decent quality worker to do the above items, please shout.

Edited by chiang mai

54 minutes ago, chiang mai said:

It sounds as though you've got a pretty good idea of the things that need doing so why not just get a decent contractor to do the things you specify? Treat door and hinge replacement as one item, window locks as another and window bars as a third. I've never come across anyone in Thailand who sells themselves as a building security expert, much of it is common sense anyway so my advice would be, don't waste a lot of time trying to find something that may not exist.

BTW if you need the contact number/name of a decent quality worker to do the above items, please shout.

Thanks.  Please give me the number/name.

The window bars that go on the wall outside and the padlock hasps that secure two doors together are available from places like Global House. Any competent DIY person can put them on.

They come in all sorts of varieties from attractive to plain.

Don't bother with security cameras, IMO. Waste of money when a hat makes them useless for identification, and they don't stop someone actually breaking in.

Of course any security system can be foiled given time, so it's just to make it less attractive to a passing bad guy if he knows it is going to slow him down.

Why would you have your "Shelia" do things for you? 

For those of you not in the know about Australian slang: 

Shelia

...Finally the Australian word sheila is a word used almost exclusively by males, is always slightly derogatory when used of females, and, according to The Penguin Book of Australian Slang can also mean--

a man who is weak, effeminate, lacking in bravado

In the underworld where slang lives, this connotation for Australian sheila more clearly reflects an origin in Ir. SÌle ‘effeminate male’,’ homosexual,’ than the traditionally held origin of the Irish Christian name Sheila. 

From The Australian National University website: Who is Sheila?

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The window bars that go on the wall outside and the padlock hasps that secure two doors together are available from places like Global House. Any competent DIY person can put them on.

They come in all sorts of varieties from attractive to plain.

Don't bother with security cameras, IMO. Waste of money when a hat makes them useless for identification, and they don't stop someone actually breaking in.

Of course any security system can be foiled given time, so it's just to make it less attractive to a passing bad guy if he knows it is going to slow him down.

As are those dummy security cameras you can stick outside your house.

The problem with cameras is even if you have some sort of image, getting the officials to actually conduct a search of their data, what data they have, is usually fruitless. 

I was burgled a few years back in Thailand and the lack of cooperation and record-keeping among police stations is mindboggling.

Decorative steel bars on the windows deters opportunists. Having a dog around is another. 

Putting bars on the windows,puts you in a dilemma ,do you try and keep

thieves out,or burn to a crisp when you cannot exit the house when it's on

fire. have a friend who was just broken into last week,in fact 6 houses in

the Moo Bhan in one night were, anyway they just unscrewed the bars

from a window at the rear of the house and gained entry that way, so if you

get bars use security screws.

A light  and radio left on is probably as good as any security,if they think someone

is at home,they will go next door,it does not matter what security you have,if the

burglar wants to get in, he will, through the roof or some other way.

regards worgeordie

They go in through the roof in Australia, I was really surprised when I found this out; only one roof tile in 6 or 7 or more are actually secured with wire.  No felt or lead so they just ease one up and then lift enough to fit themselves in.  A lot of our friends had padlocks on the loft opening inside the house, by asking why they would have a padlock up there was how I found out about Bill The Burglar coming in through the roof.

ES's idea of the Police Box is a very good one and if I were in a house rather than a condo I would make this monthly investment.

One thing I would suggest is a forwards opening security/flyscreen door in front of your regular door - very easy to kick in an ordinary door, very hard to kick in a forward opening door.  A piece of wood or brush handle in the bottom of the window fitment will prevent sliding doors and windows being opened, indeed you can leave them open a little to let air in if your piece of wood is the right size but of course that won't stop someone breaking the glass.

As WorGeordie said, if a thief really wants to get in, nothing you do will stop them.  These things will only keep the honest people out. He's also correct in suggesting security screws if you go for bars on the windows or you're wasting your time, but whatever you do, please leave at least one window where you can do something with a lever or handle to remove the bars from the inside very quickly in case of an emergency.  Earlier this year I was reading about someone who died in a fire because they couldn't get out.

A deadbolt would be better than what you have at the moment, but it's still only as strong as the door AND the frame.  Bill The Burglar doesn't care if he wrecks your door, if he's big enough and strong enough and not wearing flip-flops he might be able to find a weak spot with just 2 or 3 kicks.  Screen doors also serve double purpose of letting cool,fresh air in during the evenings.

Seriously, the Police Box is probably going to be the best money you can spend in this regard though.

On August 30, 2559 BE at 5:31 PM, worgeordie said:

Putting bars on the windows,puts you in a dilemma ,do you try and keep

thieves out,or burn to a crisp when you cannot exit the house when it's on

fire. have a friend who was just broken into last week,in fact 6 houses in

the Moo Bhan in one night were, anyway they just unscrewed the bars

from a window at the rear of the house and gained entry that way, so if you

get bars use security screws.

Our house in Nam Prae was broken into in July while we were in Bangkok for the weekend. Same thing as you say - bars taken off a window at the back of the house.

I couldn't find security screws anywhere in CM. One shop said he could get them from Bangkok, but the price was rather high - 50 THB/piece. Welding the screws to the frame is probably a cheaper option.

Got news yesterday that they caught the thieves. Got some stuff back (mainly the low value items), but just happy that they caught the little pr*cks. Hope they enjoy their time in the clink.

http://www.cm108.com/bbb/topic/1185-ตำรวจเชียงใหม่-จับแก๊งงัดแงะตามบ้าน-2เดือน-17ครั้ง-ของกลางอย่างเยอะ/

1 hour ago, keo said:

Our house in Nam Prae was broken into in July while we were in Bangkok for the weekend. Same thing as you say - bars taken off a window at the back of the house.

I couldn't find security screws anywhere in CM. One shop said he could get them from Bangkok, but the price was rather high - 50 THB/piece. Welding the screws to the frame is probably a cheaper option.

Concrete Nails