Thailand's first halal hotel hopes to help boost Muslim arrivals

snoop1130

Thailand's first halal hotel hopes to help boost Muslim arrivals

By Reuters

2016-08-30t065800z_1_lynxnpec7t07u_rtrop

Photo: Reuters

The first halal hotel in Thailand was opened in Bangkok with hopes of attracting more Muslim visitors and boosting one of the few bright spots in its economy.

Nearly 30 million foreign tourists came to Thailand last year but only about 658,000 were from the Middle East, according to industry data.

The four-star Al Meroz hotel in Bangkok, which opened in November, hopes to play its part in changing that and cashing in on the Middle Eastern influx.

Full Story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2016/08/30/thailands-first-halal-hotel-hopes-help-boost-muslim-arrivals

coconts_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Coconuts Bangkok 2016-08-30

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't understand Muslims choosing Thailand as a holiday destination.  They are anti, scantily clothed women,  anti casual sex, anti alcohol, anti pork products. You couldn't find a country that was more disagreeable for Muslims.

3 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I really don't understand Muslims choosing Thailand as a holiday destination.  They are anti, scantily clothed women,  anti casual sex, anti alcohol, anti pork products. You couldn't find a country that was more disagreeable for Muslims.

Their religion is anti everything, most of the ones I know are all over those vices with a passion 

3 minutes ago, Clamhua said:

Their religion is anti everything, most of the ones I know are all over those vices with a passion 

There are some western men who wish they didn't bring their wife with them here on holidays, imagine bringing 3-4.

43 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Yes, TH is like Disney Land for them. The Land where everything is allowed what they only can dream of in their strict conservative home countries...

For me it's difficult to square the concept of promoting halal butchery of animals  (or the kosher equivalent) with Buddhist precepts towards taking life and treating animals with a degree of respect and kindness, even in slaughterhouses.

I see naked greed and hypocrisy in the various movements to promote halal meat products in Thailand. It should be opposed by right thinking Thai (and Western) Buddhists everywhere - humanists too.

Edited by dru2

Thailand is in the unenviable position of having to play catch up with Malaysia - a country that has been successfully courting the Islamic family holiday client base for decades.

Additionally Malaysia has extremely friendly 'Visa Free' arrangements with all Western and Middle Eastern Arabic countries.

Only Columbian  & Afghanistani drug smugglers need to obtain a visa prior to travelling to Malaysia - check the Malaysian visa requirements map ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Malaysia

Thailand is just not a desirable high end Muslim family holiday destination - everything that goes on here is considered abhorrent to Middle Eastern Wahabi doctrine Islam.

Who oversees these 'Batty Bangkok Business Plans?' (Oh the joys of caps)  They're bonkers!  :blink:

2 hours ago, dru2 said:

For me it's difficult to square the concept of promoting halal butchery of animals  (or the kosher equivalent) with Buddhist precepts towards taking life and treating animals with a degree of respect and kindness, even in slaughterhouses.

I see naked greed and hypocrisy in the various movements to promote halal meat products in Thailand. It should be opposed by right thinking Thai (and Western) Buddhists everywhere - humanists too.

To my knowledge, there is only one source for Kosher meat in thailand for a tiny tiny market (most Jews in thailand are Israeli tourists and don't keep Kosher) so it's pretty silly to suggest an equivalence to Halal which is big here. So since you brought it up, perhaps you wish to share your great knowledge about how wonderfully humane the non-Halal slaugherhouses are in thailand compared to the Halal ones. I'm quite skeptical. Not just theory, but realities. Do you know? I don't know but you seem to present yourself as someone that does. 

Edited by Jingthing

Malaysia gets a whole lot of Muslim tourists, especially during the summer months.  Someone in Thailand is obviously eyeing that market.  Halal McDonald's is the next step.

On the other hand I can see why some lads would come to Thailand for the sin, but they wouldn't want to be around the faithful.

This one's for you, JT.

nabe.jpg

Moslems have felt increasingly unwelcome in previously favoured tourist destinations such as London, Paris, New York.  They have therefore looked for more friendly destinations.  I understand the number of Moslem tourists visiting Malaysia has increased significantly for just this reason.  I suspect the hotel is a smart move from a business perspective.

From a Thai perspective, I suspect it's not important which country a tourist is from - Western Europe, Russia, China, Middle East, it's all the same - as long as they spend lots of money here and then go.

11 hours ago, Peterw42 said:

Of you visit the gulf region you'll know nearly all the young men know about Pattaya and Thailand. They are free to indulge in everything except the pork. It's a very nice escape for them.

Of you visit the gulf region you'll know nearly all the young men know about Pattaya and Thailand. They are free to indulge in everything except the pork. It's a very nice escape for them.

Pork, the food or are you referring to the overweight Thais they fancy?

Sorry but this is such an idiotic comment, I just had to respond.

You do realise that there are millions of Muslims living here in Thailand, right?

You do realise that most Thai women are not "scantily-clad" outside the bar/gogo areas the typical Western loser frequents, right?

You do realise non-Thai Muslims like and eat Thai food, right?

You do realise that alcohol is sold and consumed in many countries with large Muslim communities, right?

You do realise they're not all radicals and fundamentalists, right?

Yes, on the surface it seems a bit odd doesn't it.  And several of the middle eastern countries frown on letting their citizens even travel to Thailand.