Thailand embarks on program to ensure citizens speak English 

webfact

• Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that if they want improvements on a large scale in Thailand they have to forget about doing it in house with the teachers they have, and go to remote teaching as done in Canada and Australia with qualified and charismatic teachers on line.  The local teachers can do test reviews and followup.  To get the interest and the receptivity required from the existing system won't happen.  Cheaper and more positive to do on line.

6 hours ago, selftaopath said:

If you don't mind I'd like to know what a "respectable" lifestyle is for a Thai? Does that include running water in the home? Or perhaps a four wall domain? Or able to eat meals not largely made of rice? Or perhaps the family has enough money to decide not to send their young child to work in Pattaya?

It never ceases to amaze me, how many "farangs", posting on the TVF,  who, obviously have very little travel experience, in their lifetimes. Apparently, sir, you are no exception.

There are no (0%)starving people in Thailand. Possessing the ability to adequately provide for oneself, and one's family is the most fundamental level of personal dignity, and self-respect.. The poorest, least educated Thai can do that much for himself. Can the same be said of AU, UK or US? Huh? Good Morning:coffee1:

Edited by NativeSon360

4 hours ago, dunroaming said:

That ship has sailed.  Much more sensible to teach Thai's to speak Mandarin now.

Meanwhile 350 million Chinese are learning English. Millennia old neighbours in the Sinosphere - Koreans, Mongolians, Vietnamese, Japanese, and indeed Chinese - speak English to each other, not Mandarin.

I spent five years learning Mandarin (reading, writing and spoken word) at a top UK university. It ain't much use outside of China.... Nor will it ever be. And it's hard, too - not the grammar, but the script. English is already the international lingua franca, and that is not going to change.

The 350 teachers will probably be Thai teachers who have gained a masters degree in English language. These degrees usually obtained through paying native speakers to write their papers! The only way the ministry of education can really drive English language tuition is to involve native speakers and experienced ESL tutors in the planning process. Unfortunately they are so stubborn this will never happen.

The OP article doesn't exactly say it. But from the description, it sounds like this is more of the prior plans to try to train the "best" of the current Thai English teachers to go out and train their less than best colleagues on how to teach English more effectively.

Considering the pretty abysmal level of English proficiency among most Thai government school English teachers, I'm sure this latest round will be just as much a rousing success as all the previous rounds that came before... :cheesy:

The problem is very deep rooted. Thai culture stresses no debating with the status quo, quietly obeying elders, don't ask questions.  That mentality can greatly hinder learning another language or culture.  The inquisitiveness, curiosity, motivation just gets drummed out of them at an early age.

7 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

The problem is very deep rooted. Thai culture stresses no debating with the status quo, quietly obeying elders, don't ask questions.  That mentality can greatly hinder learning another language or culture.  The inquisitiveness, curiosity, motivation just gets drummed out of them at an early age.

The same problem permeates Aviation in Thailand. No student pilot ever fails, at any level, too much money has been spent by rich parents who would lose face. The instructors and other pilots frequently crash because they have not learned emergency procedures, or even basic safety measures like, for example, checking if there is enough fuel in the tank. 

Pilots are required to have ICAO level4 English before using the radio, Air traffic controllers should be level 5. Most do not reach anywhere near this level, Swampy and Phuket excepted.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand is run by an incompetent bunch of Civil Servants who bought their jobs for life, know nothing about aviation, safety or management, cannot speak English, and would rather die  than ask help from any know-all farang - even when forced to do so on pain of closing down their international operations. Tea money is expected and given gladly to obtain certificates etc. granted by incompetent inspectors who do not understand the manuals etc., or their purpose and application, and would rather cut off a hand than fly in the machines they certify as safe! Ditto maintence staff.

23 minutes ago, Grusa said:

The same problem permeates Aviation in Thailand. No student pilot ever fails, at any level, too much money has been spent by rich parents who would lose face. The instructors and other pilots frequently crash because they have not learned emergency procedures, or even basic safety measures like, for example, checking if there is enough fuel in the tank. 

Pilots are required to have ICAO level4 English before using the radio, Air traffic controllers should be level 5. Most do not reach anywhere near this level, Swampy and Phuket excepted.

The Civil Aviation Authority of Thailand is run by an incompetent bunch of Civil Servants who bought their jobs for life, know nothing about aviation, safety or management, cannot speak English, and would rather die  than ask help from any know-all farang - even when forced to do so on pain of closing down their international operations. Tea money is expected and given gladly to obtain certificates etc. granted by incompetent inspectors who do not understand the manuals etc., or their purpose and application, and would rather cut off a hand than fly in the machines they certify as safe! Ditto maintence staff.

Rather makes the long distance bus system seem quite a good bet doesn't it?

English is certainly in demand,our lad learnt it in the UK and in university,they got him to help with lessons as his English was better than the teachers ,now working for a Thai company who trade worldwide ,the MD has just asked him to accompany him and his secretary to China to help ,next America. So few Thai people can read write and speak English,it really helps

On September 1, 2016 at 10:32 AM, mesterm said:

Wait. Was she the driver or was she on the same tuk tuk as you?

Sorry I ment to say Song tail. Not yuk yuk. 

On 9/1/2016 at 4:37 AM, soalbundy said:

immigrants and immigdants weren't included in the survey only British born

There are plenty of children of migrants and immigrants and it takes more than one generation to integrate.  That said I think the kids of today are getting a rum deal with their education in the UK.  Dumbed down like everything seems to be these days.

On 8/31/2016 at 4:08 PM, garyk said:

Was on a Tuk-tuk the other day,  i speak a little Thai. I asked the driver what the route was. And a young girl that spoke perfect english answered me. I was floored. She told me she was an english teacher in Chiang Mai university and was just given a scholarship in linguistics. And was getting ready to leave the country. Needless to say a first for me. Ran across another english teacher in Lopburi that spoke extremely good english. Just saying some Thai's speak english very good.

Very good? Very well!

34 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

I have been surprised at how good some 50 year old's speak English as apposed to the youngser generation. Dumbing down in education isn't just a British thing apparently. 

IQs and education levels are an all-time high across the world. Young people develop different language patterns and new slang words because they don't want to sound like their parents. We typically associate this kind of language with lower levels of education, because younger people tend to be less educated and knowledgeable since they haven't been around as long. Linguists say their language choices are in no way objectively inferior, and will one become standard. It's a natural process.

" The Ministry of Education has embarked on a program to ensure that all primary schoolchildren are able to speak enough English to handle everyday situations within 10 years."

After having taught English in Thai schools for many years, I can tell you now, that there is more chance of Thai drivers stopping at zebra crossings!

There are several reasons why I make that statement:

1.     The Thai Education Policy dictates that every student will pass.  Example - Two students score 45% and 10% respectively in their final exam.  They are both given 50% pass mark.  I had a similar situation - Students A scored 44%, student B scored 3%.  Students A was hard working, did his homework, always paid attention in class, but found the English language difficult; I gave this student a few extra marks to make it up to the 50% pass mark.  Student B was disruptive in the class on a daily basis, didn't do his homework and didn't do any class work, unless I stood over him.  I refused to give him any extra marks, and had several arguments about it with the Thai administration staff, but he was given 50% pass mark.  Of course, when the school had parents' day, student B's parents were steered very clear of my location.

2.     In general, a lot of Thai students are lazy learners.  English is a difficult language for them to learn, mainly because Thai is a tonal language, a different tone giving a different meaning to the same word, whereas the English language uses tone in a different way, with same sounding words like "there", "their" and "they're" being understood by the context of the sentence.  Pronunciation is also a problem; as an example, in the Thai language, a letter "R" is pronounced like an "L", except for the Bangkok dialect, although you would be hard pressed to find a proper Bangkok dialect speaker in Bangkok.  So, if a student understands that he/she will never become a rocket scientist, doctor or pilot (just example professions), he/she will lack motivation to learn English.  Also, when I asked one of my grade 9 students why she didn't do her homework (on a regular basis), she replied, "What's the point because I will pass my final exam anyway", a reflection of the statement in number 1 above.

So, if the Ministry of Education is adament that their plan is going to work, I think they need to make a few changes to the currect education policy before they embark on a lost cause.  As far as Thai teachers teaching English is concerned, if I start on that subject, I would still be writing at this time tomorrow, so I think I'll leave that one.

On 8/31/2016 at 9:50 PM, nuakmuaynina said:

When i was staying in Nakhon Si Thammarat I was shocked by the education system and lack of resources,  my ex's friends little boy was doing his homework on some sheets of paper, because they had no money for books. I gave him and english/thai dictionary and it was the first book the family owned.  The whole education system needs to be overhauled.  Not just English teaching.  

Why don't you teach some kids basic English? It's fun and i guess you'll like it. 

Edited by lostinisaan

On 9/2/2016 at 3:07 AM, gk10002000 said:

You learn a language by repeating the word over and over again till you memorize it.  English pronunciation does not need to be debated it needs to be spoken correctly and repeated. 

Learning English on a basic level (Thai level) is rote learning not creative thinking. 

9 hours ago, Moti24 said:

" The Ministry of Education has embarked on a program to ensure that all primary schoolchildren are able to speak enough English to handle everyday situations within 10 years."

After having taught English in Thai schools for many years, I can tell you now, that there is more chance of Thai drivers stopping at zebra crossings!

There are several reasons why I make that statement:

1.     The Thai Education Policy dictates that every student will pass.  Example - Two students score 45% and 10% respectively in their final exam.  They are both given 50% pass mark.  I had a similar situation - Students A scored 44%, student B scored 3%.  Students A was hard working, did his homework, always paid attention in class, but found the English language difficult; I gave this student a few extra marks to make it up to the 50% pass mark.  Student B was disruptive in the class on a daily basis, didn't do his homework and didn't do any class work, unless I stood over him.  I refused to give him any extra marks, and had several arguments about it with the Thai administration staff, but he was given 50% pass mark.  Of course, when the school had parents' day, student B's parents were steered very clear of my location.

2.     In general, a lot of Thai students are lazy learners.  English is a difficult language for them to learn, mainly because Thai is a tonal language, a different tone giving a different meaning to the same word, whereas the English language uses tone in a different way, with same sounding words like "there", "their" and "they're" being understood by the context of the sentence.  Pronunciation is also a problem; as an example, in the Thai language, a letter "R" is pronounced like an "L", except for the Bangkok dialect, although you would be hard pressed to find a proper Bangkok dialect speaker in Bangkok.  So, if a student understands that he/she will never become a rocket scientist, doctor or pilot (just example professions), he/she will lack motivation to learn English.  Also, when I asked one of my grade 9 students why she didn't do her homework (on a regular basis), she replied, "What's the point because I will pass my final exam anyway", a reflection of the statement in number 1 above.

So, if the Ministry of Education is adament that their plan is going to work, I think they need to make a few changes to the currect education policy before they embark on a lost cause.  As far as Thai teachers teaching English is concerned, if I start on that subject, I would still be writing at this time tomorrow, so I think I'll leave that one.

Anuban is kindergarten - English starts there.  It starts younger than in the West.   Anuban kids are not lazy and no one in any country flunks kindergarten (you may know of an exception).  Thai kids learn from good teachers.  Thai kids are lazy learners because of lazy teachers. 

2 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Anuban is kindergarten - English starts there.  It starts younger than in the West.   Anuban kids are not lazy and no one in any country flunks kindergarten (you may know of an exception).  Thai kids learn from good teachers.  Thai kids are lazy learners because of lazy teachers. 

What does the word teacher actually mean?  Teaching is a noble profession and creates all the other occupations.

You can't say that Thai kids are lazy learners if their teachers believe that updating their Farcebook pages seems to be more important.

They're actually too young to "study English" seriously. A cartoon in English every day would do more good than having a Thai, or foreign teacher with some unknown always repeated bullshit nobody knows the meaning,  an hour per week.

BTW, most schools are set up that the assistant teachers aren't just wiping asses clean, they also do the teaching, while Miss Pompadour's checking a new dating site.

Which finally leads to "Super students" at our school, where students in grade six can't even write their names in Roman letters.

But we'll soon be a World Ass Standard School. Did I miss something while I went to the loo? 

11 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

Might be the case sometimes but imho, it's far from the general rule. Many Thais are just not convinced that a good education is necessary to help Mum and Dad in the fields. Also, plenty of unskilled work available in Bangkok, so why worry? Tomorrow will look after itself. personally, I think instilling Buddhist principles is a part of the problem - I'm poor and uneducated today because I was a bad person in the last life. Therefore I should accept karma and just be poor and uneducated as the Lord Buddha (or someone) wants.

Winnie

26 minutes ago, Scotwight said:

I think there is also a body of evidence that suggests that children of this age have no business 'learning' anything.  It doesn't work that way- better to be acquiring at kindy age.

13 minutes ago, Winniedapu said:

Might be the case sometimes but imho, it's far from the general rule. Many Thais are just not convinced that a good education is necessary to help Mum and Dad in the fields. Also, plenty of unskilled work available in Bangkok, so why worry? Tomorrow will look after itself. personally, I think instilling Buddhist principles is a part of the problem - I'm poor and uneducated today because I was a bad person in the last life. Therefore I should accept karma and just be poor and uneducated as the Lord Buddha (or someone) wants.

Winnie

You could learn a bit more about Thai Buddhism.  They all go to the Wat to become rich and successful not to resign themselves to poverty because of a past life. 

15 minutes ago, Slip said:

I think there is also a body of evidence that suggests that children of this age have no business 'learning' anything.  It doesn't work that way- better to be acquiring at kindy age.

My suggestion to let the kiddies at Anuban one and two at our sachool watch a funny English cartoon every day wasn't understood by the superiors. Even offering free DVD's wasn't welcome. Okay, forget it then.....

But why English cartoons?

1. They'll be familiar with the English language and its sounds, without always looking into a hangovered face.

2. They want to know what's happening in the cartoon and soon understand certain words.

3. Replaces many foreign and Thai English teachers who're basically wasting the kiddies' time. :D

Ten years ago I donated 3 computers ( bought from a closing Internet store cheaply) to the High school.

i also printed up three basic English lessons from an Australian English program's study sheet.

I was told later ...the teachers used the computers eventually for themselves.

And the 1000 print and illustrated English introduction sheets never saw daylight.

The child attending , brought home a Thai English study book ...littered with Errors , that showed a picture of a farang drunk in a bar and the words "" immoral people come to Thailand and bring bad ways with them"" 

Another misspelt a few animals .

And "" good morning / afternoon  Farang "" was exclusively taught as being acceptable interaction with a westerner.

Edited by Plutojames88