Downgrading ‘yaba’ does not make it legal, says Paiboon

webfact

Downgrading ‘yaba’ does not make it legal, says Paiboon

The Nation 

30294220-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Justice Minister General Paiboon Koomchaya yesterday explained that the proposal to downgrade amphetamine or “yaba” to category 2 was to allow doctors easier access to certain medicines.

Paiboon insisted that the trafficking of "yaba" was still illegal, and hence major manufacturers and dealers would face serious penalties regardless of the category the drug has been put under. 

"The change has been made to segregate drug abusers for treatments and to allow doctors to have access to use certain substances legally," he said, adding that there was no need for a study because many other countries had taken a similar action. 

This issue requires work on adjusting public perception and promoting public confIdence that the government is on the right track, Paiboon said. He added that the downgrading of "yaba" would also require adjustments in terms of supporting agencies and personnel as well as preparing a law on controlling the use of the substance. Hence, he said, he will soon be calling a meeting of provincial governors, district chiefs and related agencies so everybody is on the same page. 

"I agree with the direction [that this proposal is going], but it must be accepted by society first," he added. - 

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Downgrading-yaba-does-not-make-it-legal-says-Paibo-30294220.html

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2016-09-01

Society acceptance of drug's use is what should be alarming the most,

what bothers me is that the use of drugs is now not such a big deal,

and people who used them, once shunt by society are now viewed as ok people like ,

you and me, so pretty soon the laws wile  l have to be amended to accommodate for crimes

and misdeeds committed under the influence of drugs, and that will open

a whole new can of worms.....

Wouldn't it have been easier and less confusing to just make a legal exception for yaa baa rather than "downgrade" it? Making it available for addiction treatment is good and progressive, but anything that might give the public the impression that it's less harmful or less illegal is bad.

I couldn't understand the approach of lumping it together with cannabis and kratom when announcing any possible changes to the legal aspects of these substances. The plants are very different in affect and social issues. 

"Paiboon insisted that the trafficking of "yaba" was still illegal, and hence major manufacturers and dealers would face serious penalties regardless of the category the drug has been put under."

But oddly enough the manufacturers & main dealers seem to be untouchable here, no prizes for guessing why :bah:

Just keep catching the little people with no connections for some good publicity..... 

Amphetamine (contracted from alpha-methylphenethylamine) is a potent central nervous system (CNS) stimulant that is used in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), narcolepsy, and obesity.

ADHD: found in a lot of school children

narcolepsy: falling asleep at the workplace

obesity: fat just plain fat

Thai doctors will be writing out lots of scripts for this category 2 drug methinks.

5 hours ago, The stuttering parrot said:

Judging by the massive hauls by the police and by the yaba that must be getting through it won't make one bit of difference to the big shots of the drug trade.

it would make a difference as easy availability will bring down the street value of the illegal component.

2 hours ago, zyphodb said:

"Paiboon insisted that the trafficking of "yaba" was still illegal, and hence major manufacturers and dealers would face serious penalties regardless of the category the drug has been put under."

But oddly enough the manufacturers & main dealers seem to be untouchable here, no prizes for guessing why :bah:

Just keep catching the little people with no connections for some good publicity..... 

unfortunately the drug lords manage to keep themselves well hidden away with several levels of security.

6 hours ago, webfact said:

he said, adding that there was no need for a study because many other countries had taken a similar action. 

Has he just made an admission that other countries know what they are doing? How very un-Thai.

15 minutes ago, Keesters said:

Amphetamine (contracted from alpha-methylphenethylamine) is a potent central nervous system (CNS) stimulant that is used in the treatment of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), narcolepsy, and obesity.

ADHD: found in a lot of school children

narcolepsy: falling asleep at the workplace

obesity: fat just plain fat

Thai doctors will be writing out lots of scripts for this category 2 drug methinks.

I wouldn't want any kid of mine taking amphetamines - regardless of how poorly they concentrate. I know it has it's place, but IMHO...it's not for kids.

Fall asleep at work - need to change lifestyle/employment

Obesity - need to change diet and exercise FTW

But I do agree, doctors could be run off their feet lol

6 hours ago, ezzra said:

and people who used them, once shunt by society are now viewed as ok people like ,

you and me, so pretty soon the laws wile  l have to be amended to accommodate for crimes

Statistics all around the world have shown that crime against people and thefts are because of the illegality of drugs. This pushes up the price to hundreds of times its true value. People including politicians, police, governments are making billions of dollars off the misery of the poor street addict. 

The correlation between addicts and physical and sexual abuse is undisputed. Often by the hands of the above mentioned. There are large sectors of society that benefit greatly in finances by keeping these laws, including by putting these people to work in prisons for profit. All the while refusing to provide treatment centers and exit strategies for these people that have been abused all their lives. 

In the countries that legalised drugs, the crime rate in every area dropped by half. People seeking treatments increased tenfold. 

This pai boon is a forward thinking man and one of the few that is looking for an alternative to break the circle of millionaires profiting from the misery of the abused. 

..what does it do then...

..make it a viable career choice....???

...and allow drug addicts easier access.....

...oh yeah....I see how that would benefit any society....

...drug addicts that steal or worse to get their drugs too....

...they can remain out of jail....

...hmm....

1 hour ago, SOTIRIOS said:

..what does it do then...

..make it a viable career choice....???

...and allow drug addicts easier access.....

...oh yeah....I see how that would benefit any society....

...drug addicts that steal or worse to get their drugs too....

...they can remain out of jail....

...hmm....

Your not often right, but this time your totally WRONG again on all counts.

Do some constructive research.

On ‎31‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 6:53 PM, ezzra said:

I get your point but homosexuals were once shunned, Jews were once shunned,

alcohol has always been accepted, governments feed us propaganda on numerous

things. Attitudes change and we move on. Not always for the better. I do not have

the solution but I do know the war on drugs has been an abject failure. :blink:  

Meth has been around. It was developed in a German lab for the Nazis. It's what fueled the Blitzkrieg assaults. Millions of pills of meth were used by German soldiers.

Afterward, docs prescribed it for everyday workers - and our favorite entertainers (Elvis, anyone?)

I'm not saying it's good, only it's been around. I expect a lot of the **shole drivers are hyped on it right now!