• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, boomerangutang said:

Another type of work not allowed for farang:

Typesetting books or newspapers in Thai font, using lead letters.  If I catch you doing it, you will be reported to proper authorities (United Thai Typesetters).

In my town of Chiang Rai, there's actually a desk with about 200 cubby holes, each with its own specific letter or sela or garun or whatever. Imagine doing that job?  Each Thai letter is tiny, and there are about 70 for each font size.   

I worked at type setting many years ago. I remember dropping a tray of type and promised myself that I would never do that again. Imagine tipping over a 200 compartment unit...5555

12 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I guess we can just let the architects awards speak for themselves.

Awards[edit]

2015: World Building of the Year 2015 - The Interlace, Singapore

2015: Best Mixed-Use Development 2015 – Thailand – Asia Pacific Property Awards (MahaNakhon)

2014: Global Urban Habitat Award – The Inaugural CTBUH Urban Habitat Award (The Interlace)

2013: Best Tall Building Worldwide – 12th Annual CTBUH Awards (CCTV project)

2012: Best Futura Project – MIPIM Asia Awards (DUO)

2010: Green Mark Gold Plus, Building and Construction Authority (The Interlace)

2010: Best Architecture – Asia Pacific Property Awards (The Interlace)

2008: Architecture’s Ten Best – The New Yorker (CCTV)

2008: Best Building Site – Wallpaper* (CCTV)

2008: Best New Global Design – International Architecture Awards (CCTV)

2008: International Highrise Award, Frankfurt (TVCC, finalist)

2007: The World’s Most Ambitious Projects – The Times (CCTV)

2000: RIBA Silver Medal (Royal Institute of British Architects)

1997: Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes

1990: Scheffel Medal (Student's Award in Baden-Württemberg)

O.M.A. Works with many architects all over the world.

This what O.M.A says on their website.

http://oma.eu/news/oma-unveils-design-for-mahanakhon-bangkok-s-tallest-building

11 hours ago, webfact said:

He claimed the construction violated the 1999 Foreign Business Act and the 2008 Alien Working Act, after he found that a foreign national could have been hired to work on a job restricted to Thai citizens. 

Interesting. Under the ASEAN Economic Community framework, architects represent one of eight (I believe) professions--along with tourism!--that are supposed to have freedom of labour mobility in SE Asia. Now, I know that this wouldn't apply to a Dutch architect if he was 'working on the ground' in Thailand, but I wonder how these "protectors of the constitution" will react when Singaporean (etc) architects (etc) start showing up on their soil.

53 minutes ago, anotheruser said:

I guess we can just let the architects awards speak for themselves.

Awards[edit]

2015: World Building of the Year 2015 - The Interlace, Singapore

2015: Best Mixed-Use Development 2015 – Thailand – Asia Pacific Property Awards (MahaNakhon)

2014: Global Urban Habitat Award – The Inaugural CTBUH Urban Habitat Award (The Interlace)

2013: Best Tall Building Worldwide – 12th Annual CTBUH Awards (CCTV project)

2012: Best Futura Project – MIPIM Asia Awards (DUO)

2010: Green Mark Gold Plus, Building and Construction Authority (The Interlace)

2010: Best Architecture – Asia Pacific Property Awards (The Interlace)

2008: Architecture’s Ten Best – The New Yorker (CCTV)

2008: Best Building Site – Wallpaper* (CCTV)

2008: Best New Global Design – International Architecture Awards (CCTV)

2008: International Highrise Award, Frankfurt (TVCC, finalist)

2007: The World’s Most Ambitious Projects – The Times (CCTV)

2000: RIBA Silver Medal (Royal Institute of British Architects)

1997: Studienstiftung des Deutschen Volkes

1990: Scheffel Medal (Student's Award in Baden-Württemberg)

Why can't we just agree that not everyone sees art in the same light?

What's the point of your list?  There are no "avantgarde" designs that didn't receive awards? All innovative designs are winners?

You think it's beautiful - nothing wrong with that. I don't agree -  let's leave it at that.

It would be interesting to have a survey to find out who actually designed all the so called iconic buildings and similar landmark buildings in BKK. I have worked on less significant projects in BKK designed by British architectural firms, British Council schools for one. If Thailand is becoming so officially xenophobic, why then do they not stop sending their kids to the UK, Europe the states etc... to be educated?

Who says it was even designed in Thailand, maybe designed by a foreign architect/firm outside

Thailand and then the developer just purchased the plans. No work actually done in Thailand. :whistling:

Maybe they didn't want it to fall down or crack everywhere.  Should have hired Western European  building contractor & building staff too. Unless it is over-height or in some other way in breach of the regulations, the building itself will not be illegal, per se,  The issue is whether a Thai Architect gets the glory for the design which would be trumpeted,  Not that it will stop them,  like inventing the internet or a cure for Dengue fever; LOL!!! 

However as other posters have pointed out, working from abroad off supplied site plans, drill samples for foundations and a set of local building regs in English, any suitable architect could have done it from anywhere, sold the land or building owner the plans,  and would not have broken any laws. Unless, the brief contained a personal construction supervision clause.  Lots of wriggle room here.  It is all over face & sour grapes.  Someone wanted to trumpet Thai input into the design.  Perhaps some Thai architect blew the whistle?

Edited by The Deerhunter
added info

18 hours ago, anotheruser said:

What were they supposed to do hire a Thai architect? They obviously knew that the only way to get this done was to hire a foreigner. So they went with one of the top designers in the world and bent the rules to do so. What are they going to do about it now, knock it down? 

No they will not knock it down the will look for big money supposedly a fine you know the story by now every government is the same not only Thailand screw, screw , screw 

7 hours ago, stickyrice2000 said:

A few days ago they made a big news like it's some sort of an accomplishment for Thailand.  Now they put out this type of news.  This certainly helps attracting buyers on these expensive condos.  :facepalm:

a lot of cases of where EGO has been hurt.

Meanwhile. London-based Foster + Partners designed what will be the tallest building in Bangkok when it is completed in 2018 - the Magnolia Riverfront Residences.

Wondering whether they are considering halting construction after this news flash?

21 hours ago, claffey said:

Hold on a minute! If a non national was working illegally in say for example, Britain, what would happen? Would everyone say" Its OK because there are other people doing it too"? I realise that the group complaining are xenophobic but if a law was broken they have a valid point...

Who hired the architect? Smack the developer around the head! Oh, the developer is "connected" Thai person? 500Baht fine then and the matter has been dealt with. Too easy  :wai:

So what about everything else designed by foreigners, such as, oh just about everything...cars, phones, computers, ...it's a very very big list folks.

Most are imported, yes, but that does not entirely undermine the argument. You can't import a building, except at the raw material level. The design can be imported, but the construction is local. So allow foreigners to design, to sell raw materials for import, and if you must have xenophobic laws, keep the construction local and farang free if you must...although construction standards might undermine the design standards.

So was the foreign architect physically in LoS for the job duration and hired locally?

Looks like they are getting themselves into a pickle.

Edited by BlindMagician