Ladies In Chiang Mai

LaReina

I know there is a Chiang Mai forum but I would rather ask the ladies who live in Chiang Mai.

Two years in thailand and I have my very first, very own visitor, coming to see me. Yes I am excited to have a face from home. My visitor has one request, and that is she has heard (from people who have visited thailand), that she should try and go to Chiang Mai and go to see one of the tribal villages of the "long neck" women in Thailand.

So here is my question, are there any long neck hill tribe villages that people can visit within the Chiang Mai area? IF so, can you give me some direction / advise on how to get there.

Thanks!

[ know there is a Chiang Mai forum but I would rather ask the ladies who live in Chiang Mai.

Well, not the right choice youve made then!

Two years in thailand and I have my very first, very own visitor, coming to see me. Yes I am excited to have a face from home. My visitor has one request, and that is she has heard (from people who have visited thailand), that she should try and go to Chiang Mai and go to see one of the tribal villages of the "long neck" women in Thailand.

So here is my question, are there any long neck hill tribe villages that people can visit within the Chiang Mai area? IF so, can you give me some direction / advise on how to get there.

THE (and AFAIK ONLY such ''village'' more commonly called human zoo is NOT in/near CHmai really, but in MAE HONG SORN,(well very near that town), a 30 min flight (around 1100 bt/Thai air or NOkair.com), or an 7-8 hr busride via either PAI or MAE SARIANG, thus a loop s possible.

The ''tribe'' is Burmese PADAUNG, realted to the everywhere living KAREN/SHAN. Just a week or 2 ago 1 of the younger ladies,who was said to speak like 7-8 languages (prob only the hello/in Espanol, Deutsch, Italiano, Elliniko, etc. died,this was said due to a removal, forced by the Thai, of the former village site to a much larger and more accessible place near the highway: also due to a big m,ultiplying of the people living there: Thailand MUST have something that draws them,nah?

But back to the subject: ANY local travel-agent must sell tours with a short visit to them.

Any tour/travel shop will be able to sell you a mini-bus ticket for a tour which includes a "long-neck" village. However, you and your friend may prefer to hire a car with driver for the day, so that you can plan a scenic drive which includes a long-neck village.

Mr Chatree who works from outside the Night Bazaar Place on Chang Klan Road is a good driver and a great human being. He speaks quite good English, and will help you in any way possible. His rates are moderate.

Personally I found it very uncomfortable going to gawk at villagers who have been "deformed" for the sake of beauty. I went several years ago as part of a "day tour". It felt intrusive and I would never go again.

I went several years ago, with a local Tai Yai hill tribe family who thought that was what a farang tourist would want to see. I was apalled, and imagine that a woman would react even worse. There are other hill tribe villages where the women are making handicraft and it's commercial-touristy, but the other villages are not half as predatory as the long-neck spectacle. If you explain this to your lady friend, maybe she won't want to see women in a zoo, displayed like carnival freaks. I apologize if my depiction dishonors the women, but that was my experience/impression.

I went several years ago, with a local Tai Yai hill tribe family who thought that was what a farang tourist would want to see. I was apalled, and imagine that a woman would react even worse. There are other hill tribe villages where the women are making handicraft and it's commercial-touristy, but the other villages are not half as predatory as the long-neck spectacle. If you explain this to your lady friend, maybe she won't want to see women in a zoo, displayed like carnival freaks. I apologize if my depiction dishonors the women, but that was my experience/impression.

Absolutely my reaction too, PeaceBlondie. And I don't think your description dishonors the women at all: that has been done by the tourist industry.

La Reina, there is heaps to see and do if you and your friend do come to Chiang Mai. As Blondie said, there are other "show" villages and treks if your friend really wants to "see" the hilltribes. There are many natural attractions like waterfalls, mountains, rafting, walks, all easy to see in a day's drive or a "tour". There is the "Golden Triangle" & crazy opulent opium museum, countless temples, spas and other forms of pampering, elephant rides, elephant refuges, learning to be an elephant mahout, 1-day Thai cooking courses, massage courses, silver jewellery-making courses, the zoo, the infamous Night Safari, the Ratchapruek floral expo....which is HUGE, river trips to caves at Pai etc etc. Then there is the shopping....

i agree with fruitbatt, i think it is our responsibility to NOT visit these human zoos.... there are so many other amazing things to do up in the north of thailand.

there are responsible ways to visit the hill tribes and you can support them by buying hand made products directly from them. hopefully some chiang mai ladies will post info about some of the more reputable tourist agencies that provide tours to nearby craft villages.

having said my bit... at the end of the day it is up to you what you do!