Kiwi's fatal balcony fall near Khaosan Road ruled accidental

snoop1130

Kiwi's fatal balcony fall near Khaosan Road ruled accidental

By Teeranai Charuvastra, Staff Reporter

ChillaxResort.jpg

Photo: Chillax Resort

BANGKOK — Police said today that a foreign national who plunged to his death from a hotel near Khaosan Road on Monday fell trying to climb between balconies.

Ross Anthony Mobbs, 30 of New Zealand, fell from the fourth floor of the Chillax Resort on Soi Samsen 2 after a wooden railing he was holding broke away, according to Chanasongkram Police Station chief Pitsak Sitthikul.

Full Story: http://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/crimecourtscalamity/2016/09/01/kiwis-fatal-balcony-fall-near-khaosan-road-ruled-accidental/

khaosodeng_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Khaosod English 2016-09-01

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

There was an assumption made that construction practices in Thsiland were equal to those in NZ.

That is naivety but not really stupidity if he was new here.

Stupid is as stupid does - he climbed...

2 minutes ago, trogers said:

Stupid is as stupid does - he climbed...

I was a young man once and I climbed too. Thats what young men do who are athletic. They test their strength. They celebrate their strength. 

Thry climb from one balcony to another to get under the covers with the lass in the room next door. 

Its called living life...sadly it comes with risks.

1 minute ago, ClutchClark said:

I was a young man once and I climbed too. Thats what young men do who are athletic. They test their strength. They celebrate their strength. 

Thry climb from one balcony to another to get under the covers with the lass in the room next door. 

I call this 'thinking with the little head'.

9 minutes ago, trogers said:

I call this 'thinking with the little head'.

Bull.

This is no different than goes rock climbing or swimming out to a distant buoy off the beach or racing s motorcycle. These are things that guys do who are physically fit. Like zi said, its a way of celebrating life, stregth & vitality.

I guess a guy either knows what this feels like or he doesn't. Not everyone was athletic...its just some of us were. He was a risktaker. It was his life to live and I doubt very much he could care what a middle aged fat guy in a cape thought of it.

Edited by ClutchClark

3 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

I'm a pretty sensible person. It was not always so. In my youth, especially with a drink inside of me I could be an idiot. There but for fortune. RIP mate.

12 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

He wasn' t staying at a girls parents' house, he was staying at a hotel...wih doors (also originak story mentions nothing about a girl if any sorts, just a drunk guy messibg about and he unfortunately paid the ultimate price)

I too was young and did stupid things, but the integrity of wooden hand rails were never blamed when I fell into the bushes :rolleyes:

All very well to call the victim stupid, but balcony falls are a daily event here, (for foreigners). I think the building code should be reviewed, not that it may be necessarily adhered to. Not to say the victim in this case was acting stupidly, but just a comment.

Why are balconies so dangerous in  Thailand, I have not heard of these continual events in Australia?

3 minutes ago, maoro2013 said:

All very well to call the victim stupid, but balcony falls are a daily event here, (for foreigners). I think the building code should be reviewed, not that it may be necessarily adhered to. Not to say the victim in this case was acting stupidly, but just a comment.

Why are balconies so dangerous in  Thailand, I have not heard of these continual events in Australia?

Construction tachniques are frought with shortcuts to save money and time.

There is a reason that we have strong building codes in the US and that each new building needs to be inspected throughout the construction process--there are unscrupulous builders the world over (except Germans). 

Here in Thaland, shortcuts are everywhere...from construction practices to materials chosen AND lets face it. The average Thai weighs about 2/3's a farang. The finished product may feel plenty strong to support a Thai or plenty tall to prevent a Thai toppling over but a strong Kiwi boy is another story. 

Plus Thais have grown up knowing their buildings fail and so they do not even think of trusting a railing to support them. 

Its sort of like walking a sidewalk in BKK. A Thai is prepared for loose and missing bricks and uneven surface and guy wires and telephone poles directly in the path. They are conditioned for the motorbikes racing by them on the footpath. But a Westerner is not accustomed to these things and so walking the sidewalk has all of these previously unidentified risks...it is the same for balconies. 

3 minutes ago, Mickmouse1 said:

I think all foreign visitors should be given notice on arrival reading"avoid Thai balconies"

You stand 99% chance of falling particularly if you are not alone ,1% if you are drunk.?

Sadly, it would be a rather thick pamphlet which included swimming and motorbikes and minivans and ferries....

It could have been just a few friends in the next room and he tried to climb around for the fun of it which i am sure many have done similar or worse when in the past but you have added risk factors in Thailand where most of the fixtures are fitted with spit and hope.

12 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Bull.

This is no different than goes rock climbing or swimming out to a distant buoy off the beach or racing s motorcycle. These are things that guys do who are physically fit. Like zi said, its a way of celebrating life, stregth & vitality.

I guess a guy either knows what this feels like or he doesn't. Not everyone was athletic...its just some of us were. He was a risktaker. It was his life to live and I doubt very much he could care what a middle aged fat guy in a cape thought of it.

Balcony supremo

It's the desire to swim in deeper waters is what gives us a greater experience. Nothing new comes out of being ordinary. Leaders take risks. :coffee1:

RIP 

Edited by ScotBkk

12 hours ago, denkiblue555 said:

I hear what you are saying Clutch, but athletic or not, it was not a smart move - those rooms have doors.

Hope others can learn from this, and again, RIP to you Mr.Kiwi.

Apparently you and the man in the blue tights with a cape never did anything risky that was learned from, always did what were told and never deviated from thinking with the head on shoulders? Dreamchildren. 

1 hour ago, maoro2013 said:

There are so many books of building codes in Thailand, but none related to safety, they don't need a review, they need one more book.

13 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Bull.

You rekon he would like his life back?

27 minutes ago, silent said:

Apparently you and the man in the blue tights with a cape never did anything risky that was learned from, always did what were told and never deviated from thinking with the head on shoulders? Dreamchildren. 

I may not be a rocket scientist but i would certainly use a door before a balcony,especially if pissed.