Cape Canaveral explosion destroys SpaceX rocket and Israeli satellite

webfact

Cape Canaveral explosion destroys SpaceX rocket and Israeli satellite

606x341_342811.jpg

CAPE CANAVERAL: -- An explosion has destroyed a rocket during test firing at Cape Canaveral in Florida.

It sent black smoke billowing into the sky and shook buildings several kilometres away.

No-one was injured, according to SpaceX, which owns the Falcon 9 rocket.

The company says an “anomaly” during the static fire test destroyed the rocket and an Israeli communications satellite it had been due to carry into space at the weekend.

Elon Musk founded SpaceX in 2002, with the goal of slashing launch costs – to make travel to Mars affordable. It plans to send humans there as early as 2024.

The company had recovered from a launch accident in June last year, that destroyed a load of cargo bound for the International Space Station.

It was not immediately clear if Thursday’s explosion damaged SpaceX’s launch pad or what impact it would have on the dozens of NASA and commercial satellite missions on its launch schedule.

The company operates two launch pads – its other site is at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.

euronews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Euronews 2016-09-02

1 hour ago, Boon Mee said:

Ah,  too bad.  The only thing lost was Zuckerberg's Facebook satellite.  However will the world deal with this loss?  Too bad Markie wasn't on site personally supervising the fueling.

4 minutes ago, Usernames said:

Ah,  too bad.  The only thing lost was Zuckerberg's Facebook satellite.  However will the world deal with this loss?  Too bad Markie wasn't on site personally supervising the fueling.

I believe Israel lost a satellite in that explosion too...:facepalm:

7 hours ago, Boon Mee said:

Elon Musk is the money man behind Space X and prior to the blow up he was already in financial trouble after buying out failing Solar City with cheap borrowed money. I hope he can deliver all the cars he took deposits on. Could turn into another Tucker. Yes Zuckerberg is unhappy as well his satellite went poof but 200 million is chump change to this guy. Boy I wished I had the money troubles these guys have. Could turn into a real Peeing match. 

2 hours ago, swanny321 said:

'We can remember it for you wholesale.'

There is a company that for a small fee will send your ashes there. There is always the hope that ashes mixed with water will regenerate you. Science is making huge strides these days. 

8 hours ago, Usernames said:

isn't the Zuckerberg network - high altitude balloon based?

Sorry to see this happen , The Facebook WiFi would have been a good start  ,  I am sure they have more  satellites to try the next time , 

as far as Space X , well NASA decided to get out of that game. so we better hope Space X and other USA makers can get it together , 

Right now we are really hoping that Russia still wants to play with us , 

Space X has really put a lot of $$$$$ in our local economy ,  I wish they had a more direct tie in with Tesla so I could go over to their place and maybe see some of  the test  "Teslas" driving around the area.

On 2/9/2559 at 6:35 AM, ClutchClark said:

This is a serious setback to my hope of seeing the Red Planet before I die.

Well sign up with them for the next flight and you might see that sooner than you expect. 

I mean to die, and not to see the Red Planet sooner.