Phuket officials store 2700 tonnes of tuna seized from IUU fishing boats

rooster59

19 hours ago, ClutchClark said:

Unless you can get all nations fisheries to play together then it is in each countries best interest to maximize catch until the resource is exhausted.

Why be the only one to restrict your quota when every other boat is filling their holds?

That is one seriously <deleted> up point of view. Presumably the same logic applies to Ivory tusks and Rhino horn does it? Best kill it all while its there and I have my piece of the extinction pie.

1 minute ago, jinners said:

That is one seriously <deleted> up point of view. Presumably the same logic applies to Ivory tusks and Rhino horn does it? Best kill it all while its there and I have my piece of the extinction pie.

Well I don't consume ivory tusks or rhino horn so I couldn't tell ya but the example that I give for tuna is hardly <deleted> up. Its the same rule you live by being a member of a developed country that consumes far more of the worlds resources than its share of the population. 

Think about it, you are a businessman with severls million dollars invested in your ship and gear. Are you really going remain tied up to the pier while every other boat goes fishing and catches the last of the fish and continues to make their boat payments? 

Nobody could be that foolish, right?

30 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Well I don't consume ivory tusks or rhino horn so I couldn't tell ya but the example that I give for tuna is hardly <deleted> up. Its the same rule you live by being a member of a developed country that consumes far more of the worlds resources than its share of the population. 

Think about it, you are a businessman with severls million dollars invested in your ship and gear. Are you really going remain tied up to the pier while every other boat goes fishing and catches the last of the fish and continues to make their boat payments? 

Thinking short term, thinking only self interest and only thinking about money, you're correct.

There is more to living though.

5 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Maybe it will just disappear like the ship load of Patagonian toothfish,that was

held under arrest in Phuket,but just disappeared,sailed off in the night. 

regards worgeordie

At this point the sooner it disappears the better since that means it made it to market and consumption.

A greater crime would be for it to sit for years and have refrigeration failure or any nuber of other LOS mechanical failures and those fish become unfit for human consumption. 

One thing not mentioned here is the description of how the boats were tracked and then lost 700 miles to sea and then sea & air patrol searching and then they were found only 75 miles out. What was that all about?

On 03/09/2016 at 1:15 PM, stevenl said:

Dumping is not allowed anymore, they have to bring it in

Yes Steve....only recently. I saw a Discovery doc last year when the cameras went out with the boats and skippers. This boat threw back twenty tons of dead fish because he was fishing shrimp! I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

But we have destroyed god knows how many thousands of tons, yes THOUSANDS of TONS, of fish because of idiotic rules and regulations.

Maybe the British are right to leave the lumbering behemoth that is the EC?? Maybe we (Ireland) should join you after the Apple ruling!!

On 9/3/2016 at 3:43 PM, ClutchClark said:

Unless you can get all nations fisheries to play together then it is in each countries best interest to maximize catch until the resource is exhausted.

Why be the only one to restrict your quota when every other boat is filling their holds?

Very true...... Example - Kerala (India) bans deep sea fishing in June- July the breeding season - and that is a time the fishermen from neighbouring provinces and countries look for every year to fill their boats taking advantage of the silence in that zone.... If the neighbours do not cooperate, it is going to be a serious problem for the future generations.

5 minutes ago, huuwi said:

all this deep frozen fish is unloaded on a normal dump truck.

either they sale it quick to some of the companys around ko sirree or they do cat and dog food.

and it is a mix of fish, not only tuna.

Its not all tuna as originally reported?

1 minute ago, ClutchClark said:

Its not all tuna as originally reported?

first, just look at the picture, secondly, i do visit the fish market on a regular base when these taiwan longliners get unloaded, so believe me there are plenty of species in the chiller room.

On 9/4/2016 at 0:45 PM, ClutchClark said:

Ask the Japanese whale hunters. Oh you may not eat whale so you couldn't give a shit. You seriously saying that you have to actually personally consume a product before it becomes of interest to you? Eating defines what you are interested in with this world. You sad man

16 hours ago, harleyclarkey said:

Yes Steve....only recently. I saw a Discovery doc last year when the cameras went out with the boats and skippers. This boat threw back twenty tons of dead fish because he was fishing shrimp! I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

But we have destroyed god knows how many thousands of tons, yes THOUSANDS of TONS, of fish because of idiotic rules and regulations.

Maybe the British are right to leave the lumbering behemoth that is the EC?? Maybe we (Ireland) should join you after the Apple ruling!!

So why make your earlier post, when you knew the information you were given to be incorrect. And no, I don't need an answer to that.

6 hours ago, stevenl said:

So why make your earlier post, when you knew the information you were given to be incorrect. And no, I don't need an answer to that.

Yes you do.

The rules will not be fully implemented until 2019.

No need to take me to task.

https://ec.europa.eu/dgs/maritimeaffairs_fisheries/magazine/en/policy/discarding-discards-0

2 hours ago, jinners said:

Ask the Japanese whale hunters. Oh you may not eat whale so you couldn't give a shit. You seriously saying that you have to actually personally consume a product before it becomes of interest to you? Eating defines what you are interested in with this world. You sad man

Actually, I eat whale.

I love it.

The very best food for frigid Arctic temperatures.

I just don't care for the fermented varieties.

How can someone truly understan Melville's Moby Dick if they have never eaten whale?

8 hours ago, huuwi said:

first, just look at the picture, secondly, i do visit the fish market on a regular base when these taiwan longliners get unloaded, so believe me there are plenty of species in the chiller room.

Atrange these two boats would fill their holds with bycatch rather than all high dollar tuna.

13 minutes ago, ClutchClark said:

Atrange these two boats would fill their holds with bycatch rather than all high dollar tuna.

ok, let me try again.

first, have a look at the picture and count the tunas......if you can find any

second, modus operandi on this kind of boat and there holding is, 1. tuna of over 35kg are going into brine.

2. some billfish go into the brine too if they found to be good enough by the captain.

3. all other fish goes into the deep freezer, small tunas, billfish, sharks..... and that is what you see on the pics.

3 minutes ago, huuwi said:

ok, let me try again.

first, have a look at the picture and count the tunas......if you can find any

second, modus operandi on this kind of boat and there holding is, 1. tuna of over 35kg are going into brine.

2. some billfish go into the brine too if they found to be good enough by the captain.

3. all other fish goes into the deep freezer, small tunas, billfish, sharks..... and that is what you see on the pics.

I thought the tuna was all flash frozen on these longliners.

Brine is just a salt water slurry?

Thanks for the details.

48 minutes ago, harleyclarkey said:

Yes you do.

The rules will not be fully implemented until 2019.

No need to take me to task.

https://ec.europa.eu/dgs/maritimeaffairs_fisheries/magazine/en/policy/discarding-discards-0

Yes you're right, fully implemented in January 2019, but the phasing out started already in January this year. I must admit that I think the sooner the better, and this has been allowed to go on for way too long already.

9 minutes ago, stevenl said:

Yes you're right, fully implemented in January 2019, but the phasing out started already in January this year. I must admit that I think the sooner the better, and this has been allowed to go on for way too long already.

Fishing regulations are a great thing as long as they are enforced but that takes alot of money.