PM against presentation of suspects before the media

rooster59

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If true

Soon thaivisa's armchair detectives will lose many critical posts to pour scorn upon the accused with their  lecherious innuendo. Maybe TV is seeing the beginning of the end.

long live the finger Pointing :coffee1:

Edited by ScotBkk

1 hour ago, sweatalot said:

not only you

some people are so desperate that they make  every move (regardless how good and useful it might be)  of this government look bad

High profile arrests are covered by the media in most countries and this is a good thing: it gives the media a starting point to cover what happens to suspects as and after they are arrested. 

So yes, refusing media access when people are arrested and thrown in jail, putting a veil of secrecy around the judicial process, is indeed yet .another move by the government that looks bad.

Edited by dbrenn
spelling

4 hours ago, billd766 said:

It was only announced yesterday and it will take a little time to go into effect.

This could be why you have yet to see it happen.

Ummm, did I say why hasn't it happened, No, I didn't, but hey, you had your say, even if premature.

PM is doing the right thing , never put out anyone before the guilty is proved in the court of law. Really good decision  from our prime minister. Keep on doing thoughtfulness decisions  and you will be a hero for Thailand because that's needed.

Bad move. The only thing that keeps the perps under control is the thought that they may be displayed before the nation. It also reassures the general population that they are doing the right thing by being law-abiding. In the absence of efficient and effective law enforcement there isn't much alternative.

21 hours ago, digibum said:

These people have not had a trial, have not been found guilty, but are put out to the public as if they were which causes them great harm both in seeking justice as well as in their personal lives (in the event they are found not-guilty).  

Well said, digibum.  I wholeheartedly agree.  Furthermore, any kind of press which publishes these types of photos automatically disqualifies itself from being a proponent of good journalistic standards.  There is still such a thing, but it is much harder to find in today's selfie and instagram world.

not displaying a suspect, is a positive thing - but more so in countries that have Courts with a Jury of Peers,

in that the chosen ones for Jury Duty, are drawn at random from local society...

...from people who may have already seen the photo on the news media,

therefore cannot be expected to decide Guilty-or-Not fairly,

as their memories have been tainted with the vison of persons not yet presented to the Court...

6 hours ago, dbrenn said:

High profile arrests are covered by the media in most countries and this is a good thing: it gives the media a starting point to cover what happens to suspects as and after they are arrested. 

So yes, refusing media access when people are arrested and thrown in jail, putting a veil of secrecy around the judicial process, is indeed yet .another move by the government that looks bad.

It is not about the high profile arrest that we see  in the media all the time. It's about overstayers and people who are accused of something. They have not been convicted and they might very well be scapegoats. 

How many high profile arrests did you see in the Thai media? It's not refusing the media access - it is about refusing Thai police to access the media for their unneccessary and  vain shows

but congratulations - you found another  trick to make this government look bad when they do the right thing

Edited by sweatalot

On Saturday, September 03, 2016 at 6:35 PM, tominbkk said:

Well, I have to say I agree with him, for once!

me too.  but the human rights argument is a bit of a farce.  unless he's gonna forbid human rights violations by his own kin too.  if yes then he can have the nobel prize..... and a whole box of free black sox! 

We keep getting reminded by the rosetints and invested expats that we must accept and respect Thai culture at all times (or leave).  And here - having seen these photos for as long as I can remember - all along I thought this WAS Thai culture!   As beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder, so must "culture" be in the eyes of the apologist...

Can they paraded them about and shamed AFTER they are found guilty and convicted ???

Personally I would lime to know WHO exactly the criminals are while publically shaming them after it is proven they did the crime and more then likely would be a way to help decrease the amount of crime...not end it..... while seeing as face has so much to do with the Thai mentality then losing face could be  a public weapon that can or could help reduce crime, as in reduce......but not stop it of course.

Just saying

Cheers

On 9/4/2016 at 6:58 AM, jamesbrock said:

According to iLaw (https://ilaw.or.th), in the two years since the coup, 926 people have been "invited for discussions" with the military, 527 have been arrested, 47 have been charged under the Sedition Law, and 167 civilians have been tried in military courts with no right of appeal.

In April 2016 alone, four people were summonsed to meet with the RTA, 10 were arrested for peaceful demonstrations, three people were arrested for lese majeste, and nine people were tried in military courts.

If the military was really concerned about human rights, it would thoroughly investigate the serious allegations against Mrs Chicken rather than charge her with LM violations and hope the public forget the high ranking police and military officials assisting her human trafficking business.

"There's a lady who's sure all that glitters is gold and she's buying a stairway to prison."  I hope.  Yes, and also all the corrupt officials who cooperated with her for financial advantage.  But we hope for too much.   We will probably have to be satisfied if just she gets jail time.

On 9/4/2016 at 8:57 AM, jamesbrock said:

Yes, I agree that it is a very good move by the PM.

There is a current story of an Australian woman and her British boyfriend accused of murdering a police officer in Bali - I was surprised to see them both taken to the scene of the crime for a re-enactment. I didn't realise this was a thing outside of Thailand!

This one is certainly an entertainer: "A senior police source said the police always respect human rights and law. Before calling a press conference, police give papers for the suspects to sign their consent to be present at a press conference. The police would not bring the suspects to any press conference without their consent, he said."

Suspects in news conference happens in most Asian countries....re-enactment happens in most Asian countries as well, but not on the scale of Thailand where they even act out how they kill / commit the crime