australia - can get multi entry or only single entry for thai gf

hi all

has anyone recently (since the vfs thing went into effect) got a tourist  visa for your gf/wife to go to australia?   we are planning a 2 month trip to aussie and nz.   back and forth.  so will need multi entry visa.  I am canadian so should not be much of a problem for me i hope..

when we went to canada and usa we got multi yr multi entry visas on first try without even asking for them. (only wanted 3 months, we/she got 2 1/2 yrs tourist)

when we went to england we got a single entry 30 day visa but that was all we required at the time

when we went to the european areas we got single entry shenzen visas for the exact amount of days that we applied for.. 2 times

we have never been turned down for any visa so i dont anticipate any problems but the question again is " will we get a multi entry automaticaly or we have to pay more?  or is only a single entry available?

thanks for any good info that you can provide

It is common that she would be given a single entry. You can select the box for 12 month multi entry. Each stay can be up to 3 months. Keep in mind NZ is not part of AU. She would need separate visa for NZ. Google "bring your Thai gf to Australia". There is one really good site that gives great advice. Sample letter of invitation/support etc. In that letter you could provide details of previous visas to the countries you mentioned.

VFS is good service. From submission takes under 10 working days.

3 minutes ago, seajae said:

my wife just applied for a multi entry visa for Australia online.

I have used (my wife) the online visa application before and coudnt find a section with an option for multi entry (I know its avaible, but they dont ask if you want it). They ask questions like when do you intend to travel, how long etc. Its been a year or so since I used it, is there a box to tick for multiple entry now ?

OP, the main thing Australian immigration looks at is flight risk, ie: reasons to go back to Thailand, a job, kids etc .Secondly, funds to support the trip or an australian citizen that will support. Although you may be supporting, not being Australian may not be easy to prove.

• Like 1

If she lives in bkk, then IMO its best to visit VFS. Mainly because even though they are not there to give advice they do go through the application and see if you have left something out. No just the form but the supporting docs. The visa, if approved will be electronic. You can pay a few baht extra and they will post pp back with result. As I stated earlier google " oz visa for Thai partner" The site walks you through whole process. Has sample letters of things to include such as "invitation letter" etc.

As mentioned by others they like to see "compulsory reason to return". The site also suggests what reasons could be included. 

Edited by jacksam

13 hours ago, TheBoar said:

Please note that even if you apply online. You will still need to go VFS and do your Biometrics scans which was bought in a month or two ago.

her biometrics were taken for the england visa.  england canada and australia share the vfs offices. but will they share the biometrics?

It has been done but vey rarely. My wife came to Oz twice on a tourist visa and it was single entry 3 months with no further stay. 

However, I do know a case where a friends gf came to Oz with a 12 month multiple entry visa, max stay 3 months each time. 

27 minutes ago, manfredtillmann said:

i have been unsuccessful in obtaining a multi entry visa for my (than - now wife) girlfriend on three different occasions over the last 2 years.

no matter what guarantees i gave! and, yes, i am and have been an australian citizen since 1984.

I think it depends on the work they do back home in Thailand and the $$$ they have in their account. My friends wife, then gf was an architect with a condo paid off and good $$ in her account when she got a multi entry visa. 

21 hours ago, TheBoar said:

Please note that even if you apply online. You will still need to go VFS and do your Biometrics scans which was bought in a month or two ago.

Yes that is very true my friend trying and told him she needs to go and do the biometrics scans .

and the hop of  multiple  entry will not happen I have been knock back 3 times and my two friends have been knock back as well .

11 minutes ago, Yiannist said:

I think it depends on the work they do back home in Thailand and the $$$ they have in their account. My friends wife, then gf was an architect with a condo paid off and good $$ in her account when she got a multi entry visa. 

of course it does. vfs and the australian consulate are staffed by thais who fear and worship authority, money and connections.

unlike australia - once you live there - who worship parasites, bludgers and leaches.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Yiannist said:

It has not one thing to do with money it all about them going to Australia and working.

some very stupid men take them back and get them work for cash money and that f??? It up for us now .

1 hour ago, manfredtillmann said:

i have been unsuccessful in obtaining a multi entry visa for my (than - now wife) girlfriend on three different occasions over the last 2 years.

no matter what guarantees i gave! and, yes, i am and have been an australian citizen since 1984.

Have you tried getting a Australian Business to invite her ? I had to do for an employee ,to get visa for England, a few year back. If  you know a company which will do for you .

1 hour ago, bark said:

Have you tried getting a Australian Business to invite her ? I had to do for an employee ,to get visa for England, a few year back. If  you know a company which will do for you .

i do have a registered company in oz but it would involve lying to use it to invite her - and i don't lie. she is my girlfriend / wife, not my employee.

1 hour ago, georgemandm said:

It still is 

you have obviously never paid taxes there, never got stuffed around by social services, never got deprived of a pension despite paying millions into the government's coffers?

you never had your life turned upside down because your wife ended up cheating you into getting pregnant.

you don't pay land tax or or council rates for delivering nothing other than the bill, never got fined A$ 180 and three points for having your truck break down on the side of the road.

you have never been told by some third generation social security recipient, who has never worked a day in his useless life, to get your arse going when you were refurbishing his housing commission home for which he pays 25% of the going rate and the rest comes out of your taxes.

it is not, it is a sink hole for hard working people.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, manfredtillmann said:

I was in the same position. Used a visa agency the first time around and she was knocked back. They told me we need more photos, SMSs etc. to prove our relationship. We already had given over a lot of these so I was very skeptical about this. I asked to see the decision letter from the Aussie embassy  and when I read that I realized that the embassy officer was most concerned about the lack of compelling reasons for her to return to Thailand, not the prior history of our relationship. (My girlfriend does not have a child and she was not working then as she was making trips with me in my work to Vietnam and Singapore) These are the two very important considerations for the deciding officer.

The visa agency I believe did not prepare our submission very well so I paid them out and did the next one myself. She got her first single entry a month or so later. Since then she has received two more single entries only despite me deliberately ticking the box for a multi-entry and also explaining the reasons why we needed it in the explanation box provided for that purpose (I was working 6/2 FIFO at that time and a multi-entry would have made life more easy)

This year we applied from the Manila embassy (I am currently working in the Philippines) and she got the multi-entry straight off. They seem to be less concerned here.

A few years ago I had a different thai girlfriend who had a child and also a long standing job of 5 years in the same salon. Her boss gave her a letter of employment. We used an agency the first time around and she received a multi entry straight up. I did the next two visas myself and subsequently got two more MEs without even asking.

As someone else here said, it is the forces compelling her to return to Thailand which they will look into the most (after establishing the bona fides of your relationship)

After 7 visa applications of which six have been successful I consider myself somewhat of a subject matter expert in this area........         

• Like 1

but than? what is the difference between single entry and multi entry in regards to her willingness to return? once she is in, she is in.

my girl has children, job, mother, home - and me as a guarantor...

anyway, no longer needed now, there are much more welcoming places to live in.

Our experience has been that the first Australian tourist visa issued was a3 month single entry visa. Subsequent visa applications resulted in 12 month multiple entry visas being granted - without asking. It's like you prove you'll return to Thailand after the first visa, then you're then OK for 12 month multiple entry. They still want / need the same huge wad of information each time you reapply though!

Hi, here is my story being a retired Australian in Thailand since last year. I have had a Thai girlfriend here since May last year. As other members have stated you will need to go to VFS Global to apply for Australian Visa and provide all the appropriate forms and supporting documents as well as providing Biometrics. Your application will cost you about 4000B, this is non refundable if your visa application is rejected. If you don't live in Bangkok then you have travel and accommodation costs on top of that.

We applied for a Australian visa back on the 25 July and we are still waiting for an answer. We were asked to provide more evidence of our relationship after a few days, since then no feed back. When we sent the additional documents by email we did not even get a auto generated answer as to receiving our email. I tried to contact immigration on several occasions, however, I have found out that immigration at the Embassy will not talk to you direct by phone, your only choice is to email them, good luck with a response!. You can however, talk to somebody in the diplomatic side of the Embassy, who will fob you off with phone numbers that give you the royal <deleted>''''''''''''ín run around.

Unfortunately, at this stage Thailand has been listed by the Australian Immigration as a Medium - High risk for Thai nationals seeking visas to Australia across the board, tourists, work, business. etc. They are concerned that she has paid you money to get into the country, then disappears and works illegally.

You do have one thing in your favour, you have shown you have been to other countries and your Thai G/F has returned to Thailand.

All I can say is good luck.

• Like 1