Why are the elderly so bitter?

puukao

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I think you are spot on when it comes to a certain crowd of elderly here in Pattaya. Many factors may contribute: Limited funds. Completely wrong expectations about retirement in "paradise". Limited capabilities to deal with the local "culture", most of these less-well-off  (no offense meant) have very limited travel & life  experience, limited knowledge about how to deal with a world so far from what they are used to. Weird relationships with women who can and often will turn  VERY nasty, very soon, some of the scenes I observe in public, how much men are accepting from some of their (paid) g.f.'s is just beyond me. Health & financial limitations. Alcoholism. etc. etc.

I am not surprised that hotel- & restaurant staff are often coping an attitude towards foreigners. What they have to put up all day with some guests is not very nice. No, surely Pattaya is a rather sad place if you are observant, but there are also plenty of happy people, they are less obvious.

I live in a medium sized condo and greet anybody I walk by. Mostly I get stares or turned-heads or nasty looks. Hardly ever a friendly "good day".  Good night all.  MS>

15 minutes ago, ignis said:

Must be ThaiVisa as visit many web pages and all the other work the instant I click on them..

Both Laptop on XP, and this much higher spec PC rig on Window 10.

I'd like to express my deepest sympathy to you.

Anyone who has Windows XP AND  Windows 10 on their laptops/PC is a confirmed masochist.

Come to Linux/ubuntu and liberate yourself. It's free, and you won't have to endure the constant patches to a triumph of marketing over substance.

43 minutes ago, Naam said:

wrong! my generation grew up in Germany with country music (all variations) broadcasted by AFN - American Forces Network Europe.

= :coffee1:

2 hours ago, chiang mai said:

You see, you've lived in the US too long, it's rubbed off! I lived there for almost fifteen years but I took the antidote everyday, heavy doses of AC/DC, Zeppelin and Aerosmith, it's very effective treatment. :gigglem:

get a hold of yourself  cobber!!!:D c/mais trio are master peices, of pure genious of the rock era

naam,  E/S  has got O.N.J. and Barry Gibb singing duos right now,great gear for the over sixties brigade, falls right into both of  their ages, and they can still do a sensational act, so cobber not a old grumpy at your music selections, but  just loved the oringnal  RAW rock ,groups of the sixties and seventies

its  a Grumpy  good evening to all:)

A post containing inappropriate language has been removed:

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

A topic post complaining about the performance of the new forum updated software has been removed, please post your issues in the Forum support desk. 

It could be years of frustration at having to deal with daily corruption, insane traffic, heat, and overindulgences now manifests in what you consider bad behavior.  The bad behavior is in the eye of the beholder and may be a way of actually trying to stay sane, blowing off a little steam before one pops one's top.

puukao:  u hit the nail on the head when u stated that old guys "are more bitter than the last time I was in the city"...get the hell out of the cities and u will find an entirely different class of "old guys"...city guys are, by definition, pretty fuxed up...life here in suburbia is sooooooo much better!!!

On Sunday, September 04, 2016 at 2:20 AM, Dante99 said:

I do not doubt that they are out there but the last time I encountered one was about 3 years ago and he was going off on another farang!

Where do you find these bitter people demonstrating their vile?

Half an hour on this forum should get you enough miserable bastards....if thats your thing ;)

3 hours ago, moonseeker said:

Health & financial limitations. Alcoholism. etc. etc.

You forgot to mention mental problems. I have seen a lot of mental cases here , maybe they were fine when they arrived Thailand , after a few years some people just change their state of mind . 

On ‎04‎/‎09‎/‎2016 at 7:35 AM, SaintLouisBlues said:

An inability to control one's temper as one gets older is sometimes a sign of dementia - https://www.agingcare.com/Articles/elderly-temper-tantrums-156852.htm

Another explanation could be the sense of frustration with oneself for all sorts of reasons ranging from physical infirmities to a realization that one is trapped in Thailand with nowhere else to go. "Walk a mile in another man's shoes" is always a good philosophy to have

Dementia eh, I have suffered from not suffering fools gladly (of any nationality) for the last 70 odd years and I always thought it was a heritage from the Irish side of the family.

oh well, got something else to blame now, ga, ga, ga, here we come big time.

But my wife won't buy this, its always my fault.

16 minutes ago, balo said:

You forgot to mention mental problems. I have seen a lot of mental cases here , maybe they were fine when they arrived Thailand , after a few years some people just change their state of mind . 

Quite true. Very often they have all the symptoms of Culture Shock. Their failure to adjust is more common of elderly people than younger people. Irrational behaviour, over-reaction and being rude or aggresive are common symptoms. Most people either don't recognise it, or underestimate it's effects.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Culture_shock

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

10 hours ago, MissAndry said:

Your life sounds great ..... but I would like to point out a normal sex life for a 75 year old British male would be NONE AT ALL (with another person in the room anyway).

Well have you looked in the mirror lately. Probably all the 75 year old you had to try out to determine the norm would have been happier with someone younger as well.

Just sayin.

15 hours ago, MissAndry said:

That's sad, still working in your late 60s.

What a lot of BS. Its not sad to be working in you 60's 70's or 80's or even 90's if you are enjoying yourself and contributing something useful and better yet passing on your knowledge to younger people.

The job description for my current job (I'm 72) called for a minimum of 40 years experience. You don't get that at 50. I have known more than a few men of 80+ still doing a great job with so much knowledge that people simply would not let them retire, they were too valuable.

Anyway the pension arrangements in many countries like the UK will soon mean that men cannot retire until 67/68 and soon more than that. Women 63/64.

The old three score years and ten are long gone and if you are reasonably lucky and don't sit in a bar all day drinking and smoking yourself to death you should be able to keep healthy for longer.

However there is one mitigating circumstances for the bar loungers. Fortunately its a proven fact that looking at nice tits adds years to you life, so lounging in a beach bar in Thailand has just got to be healthy.

Sorry, your posts today were all a bit off as far as aging men are concerned.

40 minutes ago, MiKT said:

What a lot of BS. Its not sad to be working in you 60's 70's or 80's or even 90's if you are enjoying yourself and contributing something useful and better yet passing on your knowledge to younger people.

I recently watched a CNN talk with David Attenbrough, who at 90 is as interesting and mentally alive as many people 20 years younger. It's clear that working at something he loves has kept him physically and mentally young. My nephew worked with him last year on his new project and he was amazed at his enthusiasm for getting involved with new technology. I'm sure some people who retired early can be equally happy and active at his age too. Horses for courses.

Some people here make statements just to be controversial, or at least I hope so, because the alternative is to assume they have a woeful lack of imagination.

http://edition.cnn.com/2016/09/02/world/david-attenborough-amanpour/

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Look at the kind of corrosive cynicism exhibited by many who end up here. I'm convinced that theres a point beyond which this kind of attitude tips over into mental illness. Imagine what decades of that kind of thinking does to your personality!

18 minutes ago, SoiBiker said:

Look at the kind of corrosive cynicism exhibited by many who end up here. I'm convinced that theres a point beyond which this kind of attitude tips over into mental illness. Imagine what decades of that kind of thinking does to your personality!

Can you separate the posters in this thread, the ones who live here and the ones that don't? Certainly on TVF as a whole there's a massive display of cynicism typically by posters who don't live in Thailand and seem to harbour some deep seated grudge against the country and against expats who do live here, it's quite shocking at times and not at all dominated by older people as far as I can see.

There's nothing wrong with cynicism - as some of you have noted, I'm quite a fan. But when it's your default response to everything around you, then you're not a happy bunny. Years of this kind of attitude must surely take their toll on the psyche.

17 hours ago, chiang mai said:

And that's the other thing, Americans don't do satire and I could never understand that, they think that everything is serious unless it's qualified as a joke either before or afterwards.

Don't even know where to start with this one, how about South Park? As the Brits like to say "rubbish" or "utter tosh". My condo is mostly Thai with some Foreign but everybody is quite pleasant.

As for random "Farangs" outside I'm more than happy to chat if they approach but I learned a long time ago better not to initiate. Guess who the worst are as for suddenly being hostile, as response 

to a friendly greeting? 

Edited by Dipterocarp