What's the most adventurous thing you've done in Thailand

Fabricus

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, The Deerhunter said:

"Poor bugger life in a Thai prison is no fun ( i know been there)."  

Quote from Colin Neil. Methinks there are other more adventurous things here from Colin's past here in LOS than just his mobility scooter urban reconnaissances. 

Yes Deerhunter you are 100% correct.

I think i will keep them to myself, if that is ok with you :thumbsup:

I woke up on Christmas morning 1993 in a police cell in Nathon Koh Samui, I was soaking wet and had no idea how I got there.

The last thing I remember was drinking thai whiskey on the night boat from surat thani with 4 kiwi lads, there were 4 empty bottles and 2 more being passed around.

I came around and tried to get to my feet and leaned against the cell door which swung open 2 policemen took we into a room where they gave me back all my stuff and told me that I had had too much merry Christmas. They then took me to their police van and drove me to a resort checked me in then took me to my bungalow and left.

I felt really rough for a couple of days probably alcohol poisoning and on the 4th day went to nathon to get the ferry to Koh Phangan where I was meeting some friends. While waiting for the ferry it seemed to me that all the people working around the ferry point seemed to know me and there was a bit of pointing and laughing as it transpired I was so drunk when we arrived on samui that I had fallen of the gang plank at the ferry point and had been taken to the cells by the police for my own safety.

13 hours ago, zd1 said:

I woke up on Christmas morning 1993 in a police cell in Nathon Koh Samui, I was soaking wet and had no idea how I got there.

The last thing I remember was drinking thai whiskey on the night boat from surat thani with 4 kiwi lads, there were 4 empty bottles and 2 more being passed around.

I came around and tried to get to my feet and leaned against the cell door which swung open 2 policemen took we into a room where they gave me back all my stuff and told me that I had had too much merry Christmas. They then took me to their police van and drove me to a resort checked me in then took me to my bungalow and left.

I felt really rough for a couple of days probably alcohol poisoning and on the 4th day went to nathon to get the ferry to Koh Phangan where I was meeting some friends. While waiting for the ferry it seemed to me that all the people working around the ferry point seemed to know me and there was a bit of pointing and laughing as it transpired I was so drunk when we arrived on samui that I had fallen of the gang plank at the ferry point and had been taken to the cells by the police for my own safety.

That's a good story!

Thai policemen are generally pretty good when dealing with this kind of stuff.

Your right there in all the years either living in or holidaying in Thailand I have found that the police have been pretty good to me at least.

I think it may be how you deal with them being polite and respectful goes along way, and if you can get the conversation on to football you are onto a winner as most thai men are obsessed with football as am I to a degree.

I remember a few years ago it was around songkran time myself, the Mrs and her family were at a temple a couple of hours from Bangkok, we had a good look around and after about an hour me the mrs and the bil went back to the pick up where we had some ice cold beers the policeman directing the traffic made a bee line for us at first I was thinking oh no can we drink beer here but since we weren't in the temple grounds and the bil was insisting it was ok. The policeman only wanted to talk about Liverpool and steven gerrard and Fernando torres (I did say it was a few years ago) I'm not a Liverpool supporter but was happy to talk to him about football in general he was with us for about half an hour before another police man his superior came over and bollocked for speaking to us for so long and told him to get back to work. The other police man a man u fan then proceeded to talk to us about football though it was more wayne rooney and carlos tevez, i'm not a man u supporter either but was happy to talk to him about it, he even had a glass of beer.

18 hours ago, zd1 said:

Your right there in all the years either living in or holidaying in Thailand I have found that the police have been pretty good to me at least.

I think it may be how you deal with them being polite and respectful goes along way, and if you can get the conversation on to football you are onto a winner as most thai men are obsessed with football as am I to a degree.

I'm pretty sure Thai policemen are taught how to deal with drunks. Thai men often have a problem handling the booze, and can turn nasty and violent quite quickly. 

In your story above, I guess the police were saving you from yourself! It's good that they didn't charge you and were cool about it afterwards.

I wish I was. Just found the chance to be in the cage with the tiger at Samui. Had to sign a paper that

if the tiger eats me the zoo has no liability.

I think driving around Samui on a CBR954RR was equaly, if not more dangerous.

Thailand has as most excitement and adventure as you can handle.One of the reasons I love the place.

just getting to here was exciting enough!  

http://Wat Tham Khao Rup Chang

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wat+Tham+Khao+Rup+Chang/@6.7166251,100.2762262,3a,60y,90t/data=!3m8!1e1!3m6!1s-RwSDz8sX98o%2FVWf3AB8j_nI%2FAAAAAAAAHfU%2FMkMLhHBDYyca9ppGXg3ZQekvVOlptpx-w!2e4!3e11!6s%2F%2Flh6.googleusercontent.com%2F-RwSDz8sX98o%2FVWf3AB8j_nI%2FAAAAAAAAHfU%2FMkMLhHBDYyca9ppGXg3ZQekvVOlptpx-w%2Fw212-h106-n-k-no%2F!7i7168!8i3584!4m5!3m4!1s0x0:0x5fd53c664d272c84!8m2!3d6.7153884!4d100.2776466!6m1!1e1?hl=en

especially without a shotgun-bearing bodyguard!

But we were still in the middle of coasting through a rubber plantation, when the radiator in ol' faithful '626 - blew.

we were stuck in the middle of nowhere...

Chewing gum saved the day, just getting us back to nearest civilisation cowboy town (padangbesa)

Edited by tifino

3 hours ago, Moo du said:

I wish I was. Just found the chance to be in the cage with the tiger at Samui. Had to sign a paper that

if the tiger eats me the zoo has no liability.

Here's one of my Legendary True Stories

I've mentioned already in this thread how I met my son's mother at the Londonner (a Brit pub in Suk 33) way back in February 2000. And I've discussed elsewhere her dalliance with the former manager of Muang Thong United (MTU) Football Club.

The deal here is that the football manager was fired from MTU (despite winning the Premiere League in 2010) and went to work with Chiang Mai United.

See this:

http://bk.asia-city.com/city-living/blog/thai-premier-league/tpl-gets-stuttering-start

Look under "Rene moves up north" and you'll see the guy was salaried @ 500,000 Baht p/m.

Way up in glorious Chiang Mai the football manager hooked up with a Thai-Chinese guy who operated an airline. The football manager went to the guy's house (a teak palace, in fact) and was amazed to see it had its own private zoo. And within that private zoo were two tigers.

I'm convinced this story is true. No way would the football manager have lied to my son's mother, and I can't see why she would have lied to me about something like this.

It's staggering to think that here in Thailand some men are so supersonically rich they can afford to live in teak palaces with private zoos and a menagerie of tigers. 

Yes , some people have big money, and a teak palace with private zoo seems normal..in Thailand.

A couple more pictures for you, because of your kind interest in my post. The chinese house I converted

into a coffee house-bar(in Samui) and a baby tiger in Chiang Mai zoo. Enjoy your life.

P190910_07.490001.JPG

Photo-0009.jpg

15 hours ago, Moo du said:

Yes , some people have big money, and a teak palace with private zoo seems normal..in Thailand.

A couple more pictures for you, because of your kind interest in my post. The chinese house I converted

into a coffee house-bar(in Samui) and a baby tiger in Chiang Mai zoo. Enjoy your life.

P190910_07.490001.JPG

Photo-0009.jpg

More good pics!

Is that really your joint in Samui? You've done a good job converting it. It looks really good!

I last went to Samui in 1999:  I picked up a girl from Soi Cowboy in BKK;  we flew from Don Muang to Surat Thani and took the ferry to Samui. Great memories.

PS. If you're a fan of big bikes,  I've a friend  / client in BKK who's obsessed with SPEEEEEEED! He told me once he took the expressway from Ploenchit to Don Muang and clocked over 300 kp/h. I can put you in touch with him if you want.

I worked this place in Samui in the year 2010.Its in fisherman s village main road.As I wasent making any real

money,(too much competition,short high season etc etc)I sold it to a russian couple.(I know they didnt make

money either).I learned first hand how hard it is to make money in Thailand.I was lucky to find the russian couple

and bail out,even thai people with similar buissines were struggling, and they couldnt find a buyer..

Thanks a lot for the reference in BKK,but I m not driving big bikes these days,as I grow older I tend to take

less and less risks.(except thai women as I find them one greatest and most mesmerising temptations I ever

came across!).

I am a gemstone expert and a gemstone dealer(that s how I got to learn Thailand)so I usualy come for a few

months in the high season to do buissines and enjoy this wonderfull,exciting country and its people.

I will surely, buy you a beer next time I m in BKK.Take care my friend.

16 hours ago, Moo du said:

I worked this place in Samui in the year 2010.Its in fisherman s village main road.As I wasent making any real

money,(too much competition,short high season etc etc)I sold it to a russian couple.(I know they didnt make

money either).I learned first hand how hard it is to make money in Thailand.I was lucky to find the russian couple

and bail out,even thai people with similar buissines were struggling, and they couldnt find a buyer..

Thanks a lot for the reference in BKK,but I m not driving big bikes these days,as I grow older I tend to take

less and less risks.(except thai women as I find them one greatest and most mesmerising temptations I ever

came across!).

I am a gemstone expert and a gemstone dealer(that s how I got to learn Thailand)so I usualy come for a few

months in the high season to do buissines and enjoy this wonderfull,exciting country and its people.

I will surely, buy you a beer next time I m in BKK.Take care my friend.

Seems to me that you've enjoyed some interesting times in Thailand. I guess you've had your ups and downs. That's cool. It's character forming. It's what makes us what we are. And in most cases we're better because of it.

Stay cool, Mr Moo Du!

PS. if you're interested in gemstones, does this appeal: http://www.ancient-beadart.com/. It a BKK-based outfit, but I can't say too much more as self-promotion is off limits here on ThaiVisa. 

I was between jobs in the mid nineties. I got offered a job investigating and documenting the piracy of certain goods. Worked in conjunction with Thai law enforcement, various branches and the Courts. Carried arrest warrants. On the surface it all seemed fairly normal. But as I learned more and more about all the corruption.  I realized I could really end up dead. We stepped on alot of toes. I did it for a year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Until I got to Thailand I had not driven a motorbike. I rented one in Chiang Mai and drove toward Doi Suthep Mountain and explored the mountains on this small bike, no cell phone, no map, no idea where I was going. This may not seem like much but it was pretty adventurous for me. Definitely a lot of fun and a cool experience.

5 hours ago, Andrew C said:

Until I got to Thailand I had not driven a motorbike. I rented one in Chiang Mai and drove toward Doi Suthep Mountain and explored the mountains on this small bike, no cell phone, no map, no idea where I was going. This may not seem like much but it was pretty adventurous for me. Definitely a lot of fun and a cool experience.

I've done that, too. It was fun!

I remember those giant Tasmanian eucalypts on the summit of Doi Pui.