No Guinness in Thailand?

Chiengmaijoe

It seems that Guinness is not only out of stock in Chiang Mai, but all of Thailand! The word is that it could possibly be November before it returns, with the importer waiting for a new delivery. Some places ran out a week or so ago, and some more recently, but I would guess that no bars have it now. I was told that it could be back in a week or so time, but I wouldn't be too surprised if the first estimate ends up being true. 

1 hour ago, MadMac said:

It's not real Guiness, it's made by Thai Bev, the same guys that make Chang. Even if they import it, it comes from local breweries in SG or MY.

False.  Guinness that's available in Thailand is not made by Thai Bev.  It's brewed in and imported from Malaysia at a brewery owned by Heineken Malaysia Berhad (formerly Guinness Anchor Berhad).

http://www.heinekenmalaysia.com/about-heinekenmalaysia/

8 minutes ago, Diplomatico said:

False.  Guinness that's available in Thailand is not made by Thai Bev.  It's brewed in and imported from Malaysia at a brewery owned by Heineken Malaysia Berhad (formerly Guinness Anchor Berhad).

http://www.heinekenmalaysia.com/about-heinekenmalaysia/

Wrong again. Guinness in Thailand hasn't come from Malaysia for about 3 years. It's brewed in Dublin.

1 hour ago, MadMac said:

It's not real Guiness, it's made by Thai Bev, the same guys that make Chang. Even if they import it, it comes from local breweries in SG or MY.

Where do you get these daft ideas from? Wrong on every point. It's imported by Thai Asia Pacific Breweries, ThaiBev don't produce Guinness, and it isn't imported from Singapore or Malaysia. If you're going to be wrong, you might as well be consistent, I suppose.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

8 minutes ago, Diplomatico said:

My local pub owner begs to differ but point taken.  Whether it's your word or his, it's hearsay to me as I have no direct knowledge.

I can only assume that your local pub owner doesn't sell Guinness. It might be worth a small bet, if only for a free beer. If he doesn't believe you, tell him I said so.

Edited by Chiengmaijoe

Guiness gives me instant headache! Not joking!!! I love all kinds of beer, especially from Belgium and Germany, I also love Irish pubs, Irish music, Kilkenny.... but give me a pint of Guiness and it feels like my head wants to explode, immediately, not the typical day after hangover thing - the glass is down, the headache comes... Anyone having the same problem? Perhaps it has any ingredients causing an allergic reaction or something, no idea... :(

Edited by MockingJay

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet"

Unfortunately a Guinness by the same name is another matter.

Having enjoyed Guinness in Dublin, and many other places in the World, I would agree that it doesn't travel well; and when brewed under licence it generally is even less well. It is claimed that the water from the River Liffey that Guinness use makes the difference - all I can say is that three pints in an English pub gave me a headache the next morning --- ten pints [seriously] in Dublin gave me a mild hangover. It's all to do with the 'additives' used for export or under-licence brewing. 

Talking of Guiness I prefer the bottled or cans of original Guiness you get all over UK. I doubt you will ever see that in Thailand. Sometimes draft tastes funny over there as in one pup I can think of in Hua Hin. But let me tell you back in UK this week I saw Singer beer packs of four on offer at less that £4 in Morrissons I think it was 3,80 something. So singer less than a quid here which of course makes it cheaper than in Thai bars. Of course you do not get sun , smiling girls or. music on purchase. 

2 hours ago, MockingJay said:

Guiness gives me instant headache! Not joking!!! I love all kinds of beer, especially from Belgium and Germany, I also love Irish pubs, Irish music, Kilkenny.... but give me a pint of Guiness and it feels like my head wants to explode, immediately, not the typical day after hangover thing - the glass is down, the headache comes... Anyone having the same problem? Perhaps it has any ingredients causing an allergic reaction or something, no idea... :(

You may have a allergic reaction to fish guts.

"Ever wondered why Guinness has such a smooth texture?

One reason: fish guts.

Isinglass, a gelatinous substance obtained from fish bladders, has long been used in the brewing process of Ireland’s most famous drink to remove extra yeast particles from the beer."

The water used to brew Guinness in Dublin is not taken from the River Liffey. It is taken from a source in the Wicklow mountains and piped into St. James's Gate. Guinness used to be brewed in The Heineken Brewery in Petaling Jaya, near KL. I lived in KL for ten years and was a member of the St.Patrick's Society. We held all our meetings at the brewery because the brewery supplied free Guinness for the meetings. Surprisingly, the meetings were very well attended and often last for several hours...........:facepalm:

Guinness is no longer brewed in KL and, to the best of my knowledge, all Guinness is now brewed in Ireland and exported to its overseas markets.

The best pint of Guinness in Asia, in my opinion, was in Delaney's in Wan Chai, Hong Kong, now re-branded and under new management, and not the same. The best Guinness is Bangkok, again subjective of course, is in Molly Malones on Soi Convent.

6 hours ago, Wildrover9999 said:

The water used to brew Guinness in Dublin is not taken from the River Liffey. It is taken from a source in the Wicklow mountains and piped into St. James's Gate.

Is that like saying all Coors beer is brewed using fresh Rocky Mountain Spring Water?   -  rubbish !!!!!

2 hours ago, tomyumchai said:

Because they know people will buy it thinking its the real deal. Thats why theres so many ladyboys.....and tourists with a stiletto hole in their heads.

You and Kingalfred haven't been paying attention, have you? Guinness in Thailand is imported from Dublin and has been for the last 3 or 4 years. 

As for Ladyboys, I'll have to bow to your superior knowledge in that respect. My guess is that most people would know the difference between a Ladyboy and a woman and make their choices accordingly.

BTW, I don't know of anywhere in Chiang Mai charging 3OOB a pint, do you? 

Edited by Chiengmaijoe