webfact

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, Opl said:

Duterte : " “I will ask the Navy to bring me to the nearest point in South China Sea that is tolerable to them and I will ride a jet ski‎. I will carry a flag and when I reach Spratlys, I will erect the Filipino flag. I wil tell them (Chinese), Suntukan o barilan"

http://politics.com.ph/duterte-to-ride-jetski-plant-flag-in-spratlys-and-challenge-china-suntukan-o-barilan/

And what is that brown stuff coming out of his mouth?

26 minutes ago, Torrens54 said:

Can we get it right?

He in fact said Obama was "the son of a whore."

What a Bitch when people misquote you !

I don't know what is so bad about that.  Plenty of good people have been sons of whores I'm sure

7 hours ago, Rod Gold said:

It is not the first time for Obama.  He just does not want to be called this name in front of cameras where it will be broadcast around the world.  He has his "Lilly-white" image to protect.  Obama and his peanut-gallery are a minority group.  Many world leaders agree with the PI President IMHO.

The US Presidency isn't exactly a position of popularity~nor will it ever be.   I'm pretty sure he knew that going in, and I'm sure he's not too worried about it now.

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Duterte is a goon, a goombah, a street thug, a punk, a man who appears to have no education, no dignity, no class, no elegance, definitely no statesmanship, and a mouth that he cannot control. He is not doing his people proud. His pride, and man child behavior reminds me a bit of Chavez, or Castro the elder (la cucaracha). Some of the things he says makes the world cringe, and I am sure his people are finding him a bit embarrassing at the moment. The US has a long term relationship with the PI, and his grandstanding is simply meant for domestic public consumption, by a small percentage of the people who like this kind of stuff. He reminds me alot of Trump, except he is smart enough to keep the profanity out of it, so far at least. 

In a statement read out by his spokesman, Duterte said that while his "strong comments" in response to questions by a reporter "elicited concern and distress, we also regret it came across as a personal attack on the U.S. president."

I say that is the mark of a coward. He pretends to be so tough. He pretends to be so unforgiving, and so brutal. Yet, he does not even have enough guts and courage to read this statement himself? 

"Duterte is a goon, a goombah, a street thug, a punk, a man who appears to have no education, no dignity, no class, no elegance, definitely no statesmanship, and a mouth that he cannot control."

You'd think he and Obama would get along better...

14 hours ago, Fookhaht said:

I've spent time in Duterte's home town (Davao) and he's worshipped there, mostly for his ability to cut through the "crap" and get things done, and to Hades with anyone who is an obstructionist.   Have to hand it to a guy who can do that in overly-bureaucratic and crony-esque Asian governments, whether they be at the local or national level.  At the same time, I personally don't condone extra-judicial actions by any politician as a means to accomplish their objectives.  

I've also spent some time in the Philippines, but I was strongly warned to stay away from Mindanao.  You're either braver than me or you have some good local friends or both.

Anyway, I was appalled by the conditions of certain sections of the Philippines, especially the inner cities of Manila and Cebu.  It's not that I haven't seen poverty before, but I have never seen so much squalor - if that's a strong enough word - as I have seen in the PI.  Of course, the drug trade doesn't help.  I couldn't help thinking of how the political leaders of the Philippines had failed their people.  So many of Filipinos I had met were very friendly, easygoing and kind. 

So, I can easily understand Duterte's appeal there even to the point of tolerating his more crass statements.  I am not surprised about what you had found out about him (I saw a good video about him as mayor of Davao by Vice News on YouTube, which I cannot find right now, and it's consistent with what you have stated) and agree with you that there's an understandable appeal about him for getting things done.  Finally!  However, I also agree with you about the extra-judicial actions which includes the hiring of vigilantes.  That is a serious concern.  I just hope it doesn't get too out of control and things do get better for the Filipinos.  They deserve better. 

9 hours ago, tropo said:

It's not unheard of for countries to apologize for old injustices. In 2008 the Australian government apologized to the "stolen generation" which started 100 years earlier.

I don't see why the US government can't apologize for atrocities they committed 100 years ago in the colonized Philippines. That would be the civilized thing to do.

Maybe Spain should apologize for their colonization of the Philippines for over 300 years?  That is what started the problem with the US.

Bit different though.  Australia apologized to their own people. 

I've also spent some time in the Philippines, but I was strongly warned to stay away from Mindanao.  You're either braver than me or you have some good local friends or both.

Both

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, craigt3365 said:

Maybe Spain should apologize for their colonization of the Philippines for over 300 years?  That is what started the problem with the US.

Though many will argue with me, there is a big difference between being a colony of the UK, or Spain, or even worse, Belgium, and being administered or a protectorate of the US. Big difference. Far less oppressive. Remember the salt tax Britain imposed on India? Remember what the colonists went through in the US, with the taxes on tea, etc? The US has given a fortune to the PI, and continues to do so. Duterte had better watch his horrendously big mouth. He seems to have little in the way of self control. I know some 12 year old boys like that.

The U.S. Government gave a total of $197,036,510 to Philippines in 2012:

The aid was broken down in the following manner:
Economic

• Child Survival and Health: $-420
  • Department of Defense Security Assistance: $75,490
  • Development Assistance: $79,721,515
  • Economic Support Fund/Security Support Assistance: $456,217
  • Global Health and Child Survival: $34,153,032
  • Millennium Challenge Corporation: $4,439,091
  • Narcotics Control: $4,286,840
  • Nonproliferation, Anti-Terrorism, Demining and Related: $9,549,582
  • Other Active Grant Programs: $6,403,834
  • Other Food Aid Programs: $11,824,000
  • Other State Assistance: $2,746,441
  • Other USAID Assistance: $8,619,065
  • Peace Corps: $3,388,723
  • Military
  • Military Assistance, Total: $31,373,100

http://us-foreign-aid.insidegov.com/q/139/1590/How-much-money-does-the-U-S-give-to-Philippines

Some examples of true colonialist atrocities:

Belgian Congo
Leopold II's exploitation of the Congo basin has probably become legendary again but I'll go over some of the basics again.  The modern territory of the Democratic Republic of Congo was colonized by Leopold as a private citizen starting in 1885 in order to harvest rubber.  However, the methods involved extremely high rubber quotas and failure to meet them would mean death. Severed hands were demanded as certificates that the executions were carried out.  Over the period of colonial exploitation, up to 10 million people were killed, about half of the population of the Congo Basin.  This is equal to the number of global military deaths in WWI.

German Africa
Meanwhile, German actions in Namibia (German Southwest Africa) were on a smaller scale but of a much worse intent: the total annihilation of the Herero and Namaqua peoples.  They were driven into the desert and systematically killed with wells poisoned.  Anyone caught was executed on the spot or sent to labor camps where they were worked to death.  A few Herero were also used in medical experiments.  "Only" about 100,000 people died.

Of the modern colonial powers, the British were the most brutal, with numerous genocides, vs American Indians, Australian Aboriginals, Tasmanians, Kenyans, and manmade famines in India and Ireland that killed millions. Iraq is a former protectorate, and is in the midst of self destruction.  Burma/Myanmar is a hot mess.  Pakistan broke into two countries in 1971 after a bloody civil war, and is facing another existential threat in Pashtunistan.  Rhodesia/Zimbabwe isn't doing so well.  South Africa was left an apartheid state for decades after decolonization.  Yemen is in shambles.  Egypt was a protectorate and is about to execute it's latest elected President while being ruled by another General.  Nigeria's Biafran War and Boko Haram's rise has its roots in British imperial policy vis a vis Northern Nigerian Hausa and the Igbo and Yoruba in the south. I can go on, though I'm not implying that these countries' current situations are completely caused by British Imperialism.  I'm just offering a counter to the "Singapore, India, and Hong Kong" argument that British colonial rule automatically led to better post colonial governance.  It offers a template that is in many ways misleading.  Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, Oman, the UAE, Bahrain, and Jordan's respective royal families are just as "British" as India's parliament.

5 hours ago, craigt3365 said:

I anticipated such a response - thank you! 

The Philippines was a colony when the Americans committed the atrocities, so they were "their own people" at that point in history.

Your Spanish comparison is irrelevant. It's not about apologizing for colonization of a country - it's about apologizing for specific atrocities committed such as the wholesale slaughter of many people. Duterte is talking about 600,000 Moro people "disappearing".

Edited by tropo

17 minutes ago, tropo said:

The Philippines was a colony when the Americans committed the atrocities, so they were "their own people" at that point in history.

Your Spanish comparison is irrelevant. It's not about apologizing for colonization of a country - it's about apologizing for specific atrocities committed such as the wholesale slaughter of many people. Duterte is talking about 600,000 Moro people "disappearing".

Kinda like the US were the "people" of the UK years ago?  Sorry, but still not the same.  And not in the same country, like with Australia.

We're way off topic.

19 minutes ago, craigt3365 said:

Kinda like the US were the "people" of the UK years ago?  Sorry, but still not the same.  And not in the same country, like with Australia.

We're way off topic.

Of course it's not exactly the same, and I don't think anyone is expecting the US to apologize but...

It's not way off topic. It was part of his speech where he mentioned "putang ina". (son of a whore). Unlike most people here I listened to his entire speech and even had the non-English parts (eg the "son of a bitch" remark) translated for me to get everything into perspective.

39 minutes ago, tropo said:

Duterte is personally offended by the USA -- CIA specifically -- as I'd posted to the thread, regardless of whether Duterte is accurate or inaccurate because it is what he believes (for 20 years now). 

Moreover, If everybody would have to pay reparations for every conflict over independence,  the world would become entangled in an ongoing state of litigation and distemper. USA never demanded reparations from Great Britain from our successful War of Independence (1776-83)

Trying to seek reparations for the state of the Philippines today from actions that were taken at the turn of the 19th century is kind of like suing the fourth through seventh step in an 11-step Rube Goldberg machine. 

1 hour ago, Publicus said:

Duterte is personally offended by the USA -- CIA specifically -- as I'd posted to the thread, regardless of whether Duterte is accurate or inaccurate because it is what he believes (for 20 years now). 

Moreover, If everybody would have to pay reparations for every conflict over independence,  the world would become entangled in an ongoing state of litigation and distemper. USA never demanded reparations from Great Britain from our successful War of Independence (1776-83)

Trying to seek reparations for the state of the Philippines today from actions that were taken at the turn of the 19th century is kind of like suing the fourth through seventh step in an 11-step Rube Goldberg machine. 

I don't think anyone mentioned "reparations". The word used was "apology".  

There was no "war of independence" with the US in this case. It was a country already controlled by the US.

As far as I'm concerned Duterte is a nutcase with no self control and a warning to Americans not to elect a similar nutcase named trump.

So this American thinks Duterte can go suck on a funky BALUT. But I love my Filipino peoples, even though 90 percent of them love Duterte. 

18 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

As far as I'm concerned Duterte is a nutcase with no self control and a warning to Americans not to elect a similar nutcase named trump.

So this American thinks Duterte can go suck on a funky BALUT. But I love my Filipino peoples, even though 90 percent of them love Duterte. 

Actually I think Duterte is a drunk on his feet with mental problems likely resulting from a fall and a warning not elect a similar old fool named Clinton. 

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I don't think anyone mentioned "reparations". The word used was "apology".  

There was no "war of independence" with the US in this case. It was a country already controlled by the US.

President Duterte's home region of Mindanao in the far south was never literally controlled from the 16th century by the Spanish colonisers but it became effectively controlled by the American occupiers at the beginning of the 19th century.

As we know, Moro is the Philippine word for Muslim which derives from the Spanish word Moor. They don't convert, nor do they submit -- not to anyone other than Allah. They die instead and they took their families to fight with them. Is a rebellion the same as a revolution? Or is it a failed revolution. Is an insurrection an act of rebellion, or of a revolution...or a coup. We're dealing in semantics in this instance beginning from centuries ago.

If the US must apologise for its possession of the Phils 1899-1946, then what of Spain for its colonisation from 1581-1898. Again, the whole matter of occupying a foreign land, then much later compensating in one way or another is a tangle virtually everyone of either side does not seriously consider. Are the Moros demanding an apology or other form of compensation. 

The wizard's number of 600,000 dead Moros from the insurrection against the US (1889-1913) was a number Duterte the lawyer pulled out from where the sun don't shine. During the conflict US Army suffered 130 killed. The entire population of the Phils islands was 6 million. Currently Moros constitute 5% of the total Phils population of 102 million. There are no official records of Moro casualties of the period so Durtete can excrete any number he likes for any purpose he wants.

Duterte himself btw was born Catholic but long ago accepted as his religious adviser a fellow named Apollo Quiboloy who is leader of the Kingdom of Jesus Christ, a non-Catholic variant hybrid of Islam and Christianity based in the southern city of Davao where Duterte had been mayor for 22 years until the June national election. 

Edited by Publicus
Revise data.

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I can imagine he really did upset you, but the 90 percent is way off. It took 16.6 million votes to get him elected in May. That was 6.6 million ahead of his closed rival, but there's plenty of Filipinos who despise him as much as you do and more.

57 minutes ago, Publicus said:

If the US must apologise for its possession of the Phils 1899-1946, then what of Spain for its colonisation from 1581-1898.  

Once again, this had nothing to do with an apology for possession or colonisation. Neither does Duterte expect any kind of apology from anyone. He was making a point that the US is no perfect example of everything good in this world, and they have plenty of blood on their hands.

1 hour ago, tropo said:

I can imagine he really did upset you, but the 90 percent is way off. It took 16.6 million votes to get him elected in May. That was 6.6 million ahead of his closed rival, but there's plenty of Filipinos who despise him as much as you do and more.

as usual, lowly foul mouthed politicians with populist policies always get more votes.

mostly from uneducated and poor as they are the ones who cant realize the fact that those populist policies actually are either lies or not realistic.

a side effect of democracy.

Edited by Galactus

45 minutes ago, tropo said:

Once again, this had nothing to do with an apology for possession or colonisation. Neither does Duterte expect any kind of apology from anyone. He was making a point that the US is no perfect example of everything good in this world, and they have plenty of blood on their hands.

Concerning the last sentence, maybe you can tell us something we don't already know. You insist on the USA only apologising for its relatively brief possession of the Philippines, which is dubiously selective.

And we know Duterte is running up his own bloody kill numbers -- of his own people.

Duterte as mayor of Davao used death squads of the Maoist New People's Army of the Communist Party of Philippines which he's now graduated to the national kill level, to include four CPP members of his cabinet. 

I just read an article that was saying how Duterte is a rock star in Laos now. He is something of a cult star in Japan and they all want selfies with this acid-tongued killer.

I guess everyone has 15 minutes of fame. He might end up cleaning up the country, but we'll see how long he lasts.

Sure thing mate.

http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/574398/news/nation/pulse-asia-survey-duterte-gets-91-trust-rating-robredo-62

15 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

I just read an article that was saying how Duterte is a rock star in Laos now. He is something of a cult star in Japan and they all want selfies with this acid-tongued killer.

I guess everyone has 15 minutes of fame. He might end up cleaning up the country, but we'll see how long he lasts.

Let me fill you in. He has stated many times that he won't last long. He's mentioned he probably wouldn't live through a second term (well before the elections in May). He is not very healthy and he's not scared of dying. He's not focused on money or fame... He just wants to get the job done. He has done more to help poor Filipino in the last few months than any presidents at any time in the past. I know this from reports I've received "on the ground" in very poor areas.

He's helping a lot of people. He's a president that prefers to eat with the regular people in street side canteens. If he doesn't die from a medical condition, he may end up being assassinated as he is a bit lax regarding personal safety.

30 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

That survey is a load of nonsense. Sure, they trust him a lot because he is doing exactly what he promised to do leading up to the election, but that has nothing to do with how many Filipinos love him.

You said that 90% of Filipinos love him.

He got 39% of the county's 42.5 million votes. Obviously that means that 61% of voters didn't vote for him and prefered another candidate. That's 26 million voters who don't love him.

As I said, there are a large number of Filipinos who feel the same way about him as you do.

Edited by tropo

Splitting hairs, dude. 

I obviously meant POPULARITY after the election.

Trust -- popularity, very similar in politics.

You're obsessed with BEFORE the election.

IRRELEVANT.
I'll give you an example -- suppose tragically that the Duterte of the USA trump is elected president. You can bet the house that after the election, the TRUST level for trump (read as POPULARITY) won't be 90 percent. It will likely be under 50 percent. 

4 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Splitting hairs, dude. 

I obviously meant POPULARITY after the election.

Trust -- popularity, very similar in politics.

You're obsessed with BEFORE the election.

IRRELEVANT.
I'll give you an example -- suppose tragically that the Duterte of the USA trump is elected president. You can bet the house that after the election, the TRUST level for trump (read as POPULARITY) won't be 90 percent. It will likely be under 50 percent. 

If you think that 90% of Filipinos love Duterte, you're dreaming, dude!

Popularity and trust are a different issue entirely. These surveys are meaningless. Election results from May tell the true story. Do you think that people who voted against him are all of a sudden, 4 months later, his fans.

Of course you wouldn't understand, but one of the reasons he won is he is from the Visayan/Mindanao region. That area seldom has viable presidential candidates. He has big support there, but not so much up north. It's very polarized and his opponents were very weak.

I really hope that Trump wins your elections.