What's the best VPN in Thailand?

Sorenson

28 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Just want to be clear for those reading at large here: I've now tested Amazon Prime with my U.S.-based account with three different Android tablets -- a Fire tablet, a locally sourced LTE regular Android tablet, and a U.S. sourced wifi only tablet -- and it has worked perfectly fine on all three using TG's streaming static IP for the U.S. -- both via router vpn and app on device.

That would seem to be a pretty strong indication that the issues SooKee is having with Amazon are a function of the multi-country way in which his Amazon accounts are configured or some other individual circumstance vs. any inability of the TG VPN to deliver what it promises. Not trying to minimize or disregard his issues, just saying, they probably are somewhat unique.  Otherwise, I'd be experiencing the same problems, and I am not.

Yes, it's clearly not a VPN issue. And I doubt it's an Amazon account issue either.

Will know for sure once I get the screenshots.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, dr_lucas said:

When doing this, please also take a screenshot of the entire https://ipleak.net or https://ipx.ac/ test results

I just ran that on my Win 10 laptop with FireFox browser, and an extension disabling WebRTC, while connected to my new TG VPN. And I got mainly the correct city/geo location, and then a lot of DNS addresses, all of them in the U.S. and absolutely none elsewhere. And that's running an underlying 3BB data connection.

5a1a5c4b9bbc9_2017-11-2613_15.jpg.3dd2fc4d17dc07b2efe5268548c28ead.jpg

1 hour ago, lelapin said:

am looking for a  VPN for one device  that will allow me to access and stream BBC ITV Channel 4 in the U

NordVPN, they also offer a 3 day trial period so you can test it out.  Very easy to install and use.  BBC and ITV running very smoothly here.

https://free.nordvpn.com/

3 hours ago, SooKee said:

I've just tried accessing BBC iPlayer from a regular (e.g. not a premium dedicated streaming IP / server) UK (London) server using both TorGuard and Express, both work fine.  Obviously you'll have to decide for yourself if their price is reasonable.

These are other options that may work for the poster who was asking...

Just be aware, if someone wants to use TorGuard, you need to enter the promo code "BlackFriday" at checkout in order to get their current 50% off pricing. It's not automatically shown or available on their public webpage and its pricing list.

3 hours ago, dr_lucas said:

Yes, it's clearly not a VPN issue. And I doubt it's an Amazon account issue either.

Will know for sure once I get the screenshots.

I've sent the screens.  What I really can't understand is that using a laptop with the VPN running I get two different results depending how I try to access the content:

Go in via the regular Amazon US store URL and navigate to video, plays fine:  https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=prime+video&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aprime+video&ajr=0

Go in via the Prime Video specific URL and you get the geo blocks: https://www.primevideo.com/region/fe/storefront/home/ref=dv_web_nav_sf_home

On the second link you also get a VERY small catalogue displayed, not even as much as as you'd get if you didn't use a VPN and got the regular international catalogue.

This is what makes me think it's more of an account / app / access method problem.  I could well be wrong but if it was DNS / network related I would have though it wouldn't work for either of the URLs on the laptop, not work on one but not the other?

One thing that is interesting, and a bit naughty IMO, when I was considering cancelling (since decided not to regardless of whether Amazon works or not) I queried TG about progressing a refund.  They said that the VPN is refundable BUT that the dedicated IP wasn't.  IIRC, and I just logged out and went though a bogus purchase, their 7 day money back guarantee makes NO mention anywhere that it doesn't apply to the streaming IP add-on.  Now I'm not sure if they meant the whole contract period of the streaming IP is not refundable or just the current month but if it's excluded from their refund promise that needs to be made CRYSTAL clear at the purchase stage.  I could see nothing, and saw nothing when I purchased.  I might have missed it, dead tired at the moment and somewhat brain-dead, but I don't think so.

I'll try with the VPN on the router tomorrow and see how that goes.  I also plan to try, just from a bloody minded determination, to cancel the international Amazon (given the couple I've things I started to watch on it are available elsewhere) then go into my UK account using a UK VPN server, sign up again, then TG are going to issue me a UK streaming IP to try, if that DOES work and I decide to change, it'll cost me a $3 admin fee.  I just need to work out what I lose out on, catalogue and other services wise, switching from US to UK.

On 11/25/2017 at 11:38 AM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Pib, very roughly without going back to their website, the NORMAL price for the ONE YEAR subscription to their regular VPN service is $50+, and then the NORMAL add-on price to also get the static streaming IP is another $50+.  So I think the regular total of the two together for one year was going to be about $116.

But with their Black Friday promotion, they cut the price of both by 50%. So my total end cost for one year of their regular VPN service plus static streaming IP in the area of my choice was about $56.

OK.  Thanks.  

Just for comparison for folks still looking for a VPN service with static Dedicated IP add-on, PureVPN provides a static Dedicated IP for $1.99/month plus whatever the going price is for their basic VPN plan(s).   If wanting the Dedicated IP add-on it must match the length of your basic VPN subscription.   So, if getting a 2 year VPN plan the Dedicated IP add-on must be for 2 years also....if getting their Black Friday 5 year plan the add-on subscription must be for 5 years also....etc....etc....etc

So, if a person would get Pure's current 2 year plan at $2.08/month (Black Friday promotion) plus the Dedicated IP add-on for 2 years at $1.99/month (regular price) that works out to $4.07/month which would be a $97.68 for 2 years....annualize that and it's $48.84/year.   A little cheaper than TorGuard.   Or if going for Pure's 5 year plan Black Friday promotion for $1.15/month with a 5 year Dedicated IP add-on at $1.99/month that works out to a total of $188.40....or if annualize $37.68.  

Over the last several days I have chatted several times with Pure asking if their Dedicated IP add-on is on promotion during the Black Friday/Cyber Week....each time with each rep the answer was no.  And I asked the question a little differently just a few minutes ago and the rep said they don't discount/put on sale their add-ons like Dedicated IP.  While I got their 5 year plan I didn't get their Dedicated IP add-on.  Can add-on Dedicated IP in future if desired/needed...don't have a need for it right now such as improving the changes of a paid video streaming service doing a geo-block on the VPN connection.

From more research it seems many VPN providers have a Dedicated IP add-on you can buy....it just may not be advertised as much on their websites...instead, their basic plans seem to get the great majority of their advertising/webpage displays.

1 hour ago, Xaos said:

For the price of VPN u can get IPTV package and watch it all.

Regardless of if the above statement is correct or not, you can use VPNs for so many more purposes in addition to watching  geo-restricted IPTV content, while you can use IPTV for only one single purpose.

1 hour ago, Pib said:

From more research it seems many VPN providers have a Dedicated IP add-on you can buy....it just may not be advertised as much on their websites...instead, their basic plans seem to get the great majority of their advertising/webpage displays.

I've seen the dedicated IP services in the past also, as add-ons to regular VPN plans. But I never paid much attention in the past because 1] the regular VPN was working just fine by itself for my needs, and 2] the typical pricing I remember was around an extra $5 per month, on top of the price of the regular VPN plans, so often doubling or so the total cost.

But this year/Black Friday season, I found greater motivation to pull the trigger, because places like Torguard were offering 50% off the regular price of both their regular VPN service AND their static IP add-on, which effectively brought the price for both down into the $50+ range that I generally consider reasonable for a year of service. And, just in recent months, Amazon seems to have gotten more aggressive in creating problems. And I didn't want to be continually playing cat and mouse.

But the bottom line for me is more performance than price: if the company actually delivers on what they promise, I'm willing to pay a fair price for good performance. But I'm always wary of the cheap or cheapest plans, because it does no good to buy what you think is a bargain, and then quickly discover that the company can't live up to its promises (such as my recent experience above with IP Vanish and Amazon.)

I guess that's why any time I'm testing / checking out a new VPN, I make sure to put the service to the test immediately and through all kinds of different uses, devices and connections -- just to make sure I know where things stand before that particular service's free trial or money-back guarantee period expires. So I don't end up paying for 1 or 2 or 5 years of service that isn't meeting my needs.

2 hours ago, Xaos said:

For the price of VPN u can get IPTV package and watch it all.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

IPTV is a pretty broad term.   Heck, IPTV even comes free with Thai internet plans with premium channel add-ons like where AIS Fibre offers the Platinum and Gold premium IPTV channels which includes channels like HBO.   And most of the home country IPTV packages is just showing free-to-air channels in that country versus providing you an array of movies/TV shows (past and current) on demand.   

However, every person's video entertainment viewing desires varies greatly....some folks want to see the lastest movies...some the latest shows...some like plenty of sports...some like news shows.  Brits probably prefer UK programming....Americans probably prefer US programming....etc.   For me, the AIS Fibre IPTV with Platinum channels add-on, Youtubing, and Kodi streaming meet my video entertainment desires.  

6 hours ago, SooKee said:

Yeah, thanks will PM you shortly, just ploughing through a list of things I also need to try.  One of the things TG told me to change was the DNS settings at the router to 8.8.8.8 and 4.4.4.2.

Have you tried 8844 as alternate?

Have you tried 8844 as alternate?

Thanks. Yeah. It was set to that originally.  

Will see how it goes later today but quite a lot of other things to do now having been busy with this all over the weekend.

Very satisfied with the performance and service from TorGuard and esp the dedicated streaming IP. Only thing I might do is switch my dedicated IP from the USA to the UK. BBC iPlayer is one reason but at the moment that works with the regular servers, just wouldn't want to be in a position where it didn't. I'm also keen to try to get Amazon Video to work mainly because I'm intrigued as to why it works one way and not another.

IPTV as I think is being referred to above I've never been a fan of. The companies come and go (along with your money), the channels are too restrictive and the quality of the streams I've often found to be dismal. I'd far sooner watch programmes from BBC iPlayer for instance (using a VPN that I can use for much more if I needed to in that regard) than pay someone to re transmit their, what is essentially, stolen (and frequently sub standard) content. Along with PIB, what I have from Netflix, iFlix, HooQ and AIS Platinum more than meets my needs, all in HD, all with no down time, unlikely to suddenly pack their bags and run and all of them having a variety of useful language / subtitle options.

Sent using Tapatalk

3 minutes ago, SooKee said:

I'm also keen to try to get Amazon Video to work mainly because I'm intrigued as to why it works one way and not another.

I have a good hunch why (definitely network related, not the VPN or your Amazon account), but can only troubleshoot on site or remotely with TeamViewer as I offered you.

Proper router and OpenVpn setup (preferably through Asus-Merlin firmware) and Chrome developer tools is where I'd start debugging.

50 minutes ago, dr_lucas said:

I have a good hunch why (definitely network related, not the VPN or your Amazon account), but can only troubleshoot on site or remotely with TeamViewer as I offered you.

Proper router and OpenVpn setup (preferably through Asus-Merlin firmware) and Chrome developer tools is where I'd start debugging.

Yeah thanks.  I'll take you up for sure but busy as hell at the moment as all the things that should have got done over the weekend, didn't.  I'm going away tomorrow for a few days so I have to essentially cram three days worth of tasks into one.

Will PM you with what I get now with the VPN running on the router.  Would be happy if you're right about Amazon but I really do think something about my account with Amazon has something to do with it.  The Prime Video International offering is $2.99 at the moment (and IMO not even worth $0.02 so no wonder they extended their half price deal) whereas in an Amazon account country is $5.99 so I'm pretty sure there'd be a deliberate drive by Amazon to stop folks signing up for the former then using a VPN to access the latter, something they would perhaps try to implement at the account level, rather than by VPN blocking.  Coming at at from the other way (e.g. having a legit US account then accessing it here by VPN) I can see how that'd be workable.  While I can access the Amazon US content going in one way I'm starting to think it's a loophole they've overlooked, or can't tackle because of the way that it works.  Even using my mobile data network on the phone alone, cutting my router / network out altogether, the results are the same.  Netflix can.  Amazon cannot.

21 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I just ran that on my Win 10 laptop with FireFox browser, and an extension disabling WebRTC, while connected to my new TG VPN. And I got mainly the correct city/geo location, and then a lot of DNS addresses, all of them in the U.S. and absolutely none elsewhere. And that's running an underlying 3BB data connection.

5a1a5c4b9bbc9_2017-11-2613_15.jpg.3dd2fc4d17dc07b2efe5268548c28ead.jpg

I'm getting exactly the same using AIS with the dedicated streaming IP now on the router, exactly the same.  73 DNS addresses.  All in the US.  Also getting my 192 IP address leaking out though, probably because I had no WebRTC extension.  With that enabled and set for 'Use my public IP only' I get my IP address and 53 others (all USA) and 2 errors, as yet unsure what they are.

I'm wondering how this works on a phone when using the installed app and VPN.  My phone, on at the mobile network and wifi shows:

IP address: My streaming IP

IP / Web RTC: Has two.  One starting 10.22.#.# and one starting fd00.#.#

DNS: Only one here.  Not 54

As an aside on the phone I can now see the USA content and it shows the geo blocking on the actual vids.  Again, makes me think Amazon is blocking my ability to view, even though connected via the US, at the account level.  When I get round to it I may even contact their CS and ask what I need to do having signed up for the international account but now, being in the US, can't access videos.  I have a funny feeling that they'll say something along the lines that I need to unsubscribe and resubscribe in the US with a full price Amazon US Prime Video account.  Just way too busy to even think about it at the moment.

Even using my mobile data network on the phone alone, cutting my router / network out altogether, the results are the same.  Netflix can.  Amazon cannot.

Yea, above seems to rule out any router or computer/router issue and does support the thinking its streaming service account registration related. 

Hope you get it worked out...and catch-up on the other things you've put in abeyance to work this issue during the Black Friday/Cyber Monday VPN Deal frenzy.    For me, I'm off to some hardware stores to see if I can find some wall/street lights to my liking for a "light the soi directly behind my house project when the my moobaan's street lightning is not working as advertised (i.e, moobaan management is too cheap to pay the moobaan street lighting bill)." 

39 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Would be happy if you're right about Amazon but I really do think something about my account with Amazon has something to do with it.  The Prime Video International offering is $2.99 at the moment (and IMO not even worth $0.02 so no wonder they extended their half price deal) whereas in an Amazon account country is $5.99 so I'm pretty sure there'd be a deliberate drive by Amazon to stop folks signing up for the former then using a VPN to access the latter, something they would perhaps try to implement at the account level, rather than by VPN blocking. 

You might be right. How much do you pay? $2.99 or $5.99?

One easy way to test if it's blocked on the account level is using SmartDNS.

Another way is to ask a friend or someone in the USA to try out your account there.

39 minutes ago, SooKee said:

Netflix can.  Amazon cannot.

I guess you already know, they both are delivering content in a totally different way and different way of geo-blocking. Netflix is much easier to bypass generally, but VPN should bypass Amazon restrictions easily if configured correctly, unless, as you suspect - it's disabled on the account level, in which case nothing will work other than settings up a new US account with a US credit card [or Amazon gift card or other possible ways] (or UK account, if you prefer, as you mentioned).

19 minutes ago, SooKee said:

I'm wondering how this works on a phone when using the installed app and VPN.  My phone, on at the mobile network and wifi shows:

IP address: My streaming IP

IP / Web RTC: Has two.  One starting 10.22.#.# and one starting fd00.#.#

The 10.22 and fd00 address are mostly likely your Thai mobile service provider IPv4 and  IPv6 address, respectively, associated with your mobile data account at this minute in time.

7 minutes ago, dr_lucas said:

You might be right. How much do you pay? $2.99 or $5.99?

One easy way to test if it's blocked on the account level is using SmartDNS.

Another way is to ask a friend or someone in the USA to try out your account there.

I guess you already know, they both are delivering content in a totally different way and different way of geo-blocking. Netflix is much easier to bypass generally, but VPN should bypass Amazon restrictions easily if configured correctly, unless, as you suspect - it's disabled on the account level, in which case nothing will work other than settings up a new US account with a US credit card [or Amazon gift card or other possible ways] (or UK account, if you prefer, as you mentioned).

I signed up in Thailand via the Prime Video website for the International service at the original 50% offer of  $2.99 using a UK credit card.  That I think shows the 'all comers welcome' approach with the international offering.  Ordinarily for a country based Prime Video account, AFAIK, you'd need (in the case of the UK for instance) a UK address, a UK card and be using a UK IP address.  If you then went to the USA for work or a holiday you wouldn't be able to access Amazon US with your default fully paid for account (unlike Netflix that, using IMO the MUCH better model, just switches you to your current region) as Amazon is country specific (yes I'm aware that Netflix and Amazon deliver their services differently - hence me making the point several times), you'd either need to sign up with a US account using a US card and US address or access your UK service via VPN.

As it stands I have a chum in the USA who will try my credentials later today and I've also contacted Amazon CS with an enquiry as to "hey, why can't I access Prime Video?".  Will see what comes of it.  

I did contemplate going the Amazon Prime UK account reactivation route but, having checked the Netflix catalogue, decided against it.  The US has 100% catalogue content with 1,157 shows and 4,593 movies vs the UK at 36.3% of the USA catalogue at 442 and 1,586 respectively.  Interestingly Thailand is way down at 6.3% with 94/210.  That said, as with Amazon, a lot of the full catalogue is really dated or stuff I'd have no interest in and all the headline stuff I want to watch on Netflix is available here legit.  If I do ever plough through it all and plan to start looking deeper, I'd rather have the US vs the UK catalogue at my disposal.  I'll have to risk iPlayer continuing to work with a default TorGuard UK server.  Amazon, not bothered, was interested enough to get it working, not interested enough to make it a priority.

Confirmed.  It's an account level block!!  I just visited Amazon USA, clicked the 'Start Amazon Prime Trial' it would normally be $10.99 pm.  Amazingly it let me use my Thai 'virtual' credit card from which my Prime Video international subscription is taken.  Immediately I did that. Open up the app on the phone and there's the whole catalogue with a 'resume' for a movie I'd been watching on the laptop when I dug into that way.  Be interesting to see if I can somehow downgrade and convert that membership to video only or cancel it and sign up again for just video without it saying you need to be in the US, the address it 'allowed' me to try the Prime membership is my Thai address.  Curiouser and curiouser??

Thanks to those for the help trying to bottom this.  Never thought they'd let me do the Prime trial using the details they have about about me, otherwise I'd have tried it before!!

5 minutes ago, dr_lucas said:

Or just install Kodi with Covenant Add-on (and many others: https://www.vpnranks.com/best-kodi-addons/) and get everything you could possibly be interested in watching, free of charge and without all those headaches. :stoner:

Got that already, hardly free from headaches though.  Lots recently has been SD or below, numerous things I've been interested in not available and lacking the language and subtitle options (that I want).  I have it, but it's a last resort.

Just now, dr_lucas said:

You're welcome & Congratulations. :smile:

What language and subtitles options you want?

Wish I'd tried this from day one, never thought it would let 'Trial' Amazon Prime US from a Thai address with a Thai card though!!  Just hope I can downgrade.  For me, I don't mind paying $10-12 pm for combined Netflix and Amazon if I can do it without problems and for once I've burned through what I need at the moment.

For various reasons that are too lengthy to explain, I want, where available, language / subtitle options in Thai, Mandarin and Bahasa Malay.  With Netflix and iFlix they are readily available at the flick of a menu option.

Boy am I glad to have bottomed this out!!!!

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

Wish I'd tried this from day one, never thought it would let 'Trial' Amazon Prime US from a Thai address with a Thai card though!!  Just hope I can downgrade.  For me, I don't mind paying $10-12 pm for combined Netflix and Amazon if I can do it without problems and for once I've burned through what I need at the moment.

For various reasons that are too lengthy to explain, I want, where available, language / subtitle options in Thai, Mandarin and Bahasa Malay.  With Netflix and iFlix they are readily available at the flick of a menu option.

Boy am I glad to have bottomed this out!!!!

Actually, I might not even downgrade.  Thinking about it, the full Amazon Prime Membership is $99 per year vs $71 per year if you subscribe to just the Video.  However, full Prime gives access to Prime Music and unlimited cloud photo storage too so I'll see how Prime Music fares compared to Spotify and maybe bin Spotify.  At $28 per year extra for the Music and cloud storage it's not really a bank breaker though considering most of the music services are $6-9 pm. Will see.  

Just pleased to have the VPN working. One thing that's noticeable is that I'm not seeing nothing by way of speed reductions that impedes me doing anything I want with the VPN activated on the router so I'll likely leave it on all the time but will need to remember to turn it off for banking and switch to a general UK server when I want to access BBC iPlayer.

Only area where TG did mess up a little, they specifically said to check the box 'Require TLS 1.2' when I configured my dedicated streaming IP config file for the router.  It didn't work.  Turns out that box should be unchecked!

20 hours ago, Pib said:

OK.  Thanks.  

Just for comparison for folks still looking for a VPN service with static Dedicated IP add-on, PureVPN provides a static Dedicated IP for $1.99/month plus whatever the going price is for their basic VPN plan(s).   If wanting the Dedicated IP add-on it must match the length of your basic VPN subscription.   So, if getting a 2 year VPN plan the Dedicated IP add-on must be for 2 years also....if getting their Black Friday 5 year plan the add-on subscription must be for 5 years also....etc....etc....etc

So, if a person would get Pure's current 2 year plan at $2.08/month (Black Friday promotion) plus the Dedicated IP add-on for 2 years at $1.99/month (regular price) that works out to $4.07/month which would be a $97.68 for 2 years....annualize that and it's $48.84/year.   A little cheaper than TorGuard.   Or if going for Pure's 5 year plan Black Friday promotion for $1.15/month with a 5 year Dedicated IP add-on at $1.99/month that works out to a total of $188.40....or if annualize $37.68.  

Over the last several days I have chatted several times with Pure asking if their Dedicated IP add-on is on promotion during the Black Friday/Cyber Week....each time with each rep the answer was no.  And I asked the question a little differently just a few minutes ago and the rep said they don't discount/put on sale their add-ons like Dedicated IP.  While I got their 5 year plan I didn't get their Dedicated IP add-on.  Can add-on Dedicated IP in future if desired/needed...don't have a need for it right now such as improving the changes of a paid video streaming service doing a geo-block on the VPN connection.

Just one thing on this, the Torguard VPN + Streaming IP works out at $45.61 per year when taking their 2 year plan.  Pennies I know but it does swing the cost slightly in favour of TG.

As to the cost of all this vs a single (often extremely unreliable - as history and my experiences with them shows) IPTV provider, all in (e.g. the VPN and the streaming services) which will give Netflix and Amazon (along with Amazon Prime Music and unlimited cloud photo storage) full USA catalogues plus iFlix and HooQ  I pay 800 baht per month, that's for the lot, not bad considering the material available and the quality of it.  Even if the whole lot goes down the tubes (highly unlikely), I've blown more than the annual cost on a mad Saturday night out on the town.

4 hours ago, SooKee said:

We've talked so many different deals on VPN & video streaming services, etc., I'm now confused more than usual.

Above you mentioned $10-12 per month for Netflix and Amazon Prime streaming.   If I look at the US prices say for the Netflix Standard Plan of $10.99/mo which includes HD (I would want HD) & can watch on 2 screens at the same time and Amazon Prime at $10.99/mo that totals almost $22/month.  But I realize annual membership and ongoing special deals (Black Friday/Cyber Monday) might impact the pricing.   And I know in your earlier posts you mentioned international plans, country plans, etc., which probably affects the pricing.

Summary: so how do you get the $10-12/mo total price for both Netflix and Amazon?  Thanks.

Archived