Australian DJ jailed for life in Thailand

webfact

Australian DJ jailed for life in Thailand

Lindsay Murdoch

BANGKOK: -- A Melbourne DJ will serve two life sentences in jail for possessing ecstasy pills in the Thai beach city of Pattaya after losing an appeal to have the term reduced.

Jake Mastroianni, 26, will be kept in Bangkok's notorious Klong Prem jail in Bangkok where up to 30 prisoners share cells in conditions described as harsh.

Mastroianni appeared shackled in a Bangkok court on Tuesday with a 28-year-old former British soldier, Lance Whitmore, who lost his appeal on a 50-year sentence.

Full story: http://www.smh.com.au/world/australian-dj-jailed-for-life-in-thailand-20160907-grai1m.html

-- Sydney Morning Herald 2016-09-07

• Replies 684
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew up in the UK in the 80s and was a teenager in the 90s - MDMA is neither addictive, nor 'hard', it simply needs to be treated responsibly.

As a parent, I'm perfectly happy for my kid to take he when he gets older, as I did and much of my generation did when I was younger. Not in this country though, it's unfortunately backward in terms of drug legislation.

I'd far prefer my son to be taking ecstasy as a teenager than for him to be binge drinking like most kids do.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

I have had more bad experiences than I would ever want to remember with alcohol. Never had that problem with MDMA, LSD, or mushrooms. It is horribly hypocritical and ignorant for anyone who drinks beer, wine, hard alcohol, as well as people addicted to nicotine and caffeine to run around saying how evil all drugs are. The crap at the pharmacy causes far greater harm than most party drugs. Only weak minded people prone to addiction have problems with these drugs. Pcp, heroine, and cracked are hard drugs. MDMA is 6-8 hours of feeling happy and forgetting just what a truly horrible world we live in, and the come-down is a billion times less harsh than the average hangover.

Crazy sentence. This should be a controlled substance: sold officially to those with an interest in it, an informed, personal choice . It would eliminate the criminal element, eradicate impurities and generate tax revenue.

I wonder at what point did they think "Hmm maybe it's not such a good idea to deal drugs in a country like Thailand" ?

I'm guessing not long after they were caught... obviously not before they started dealing.

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

Deal hard drugs.  Should be executed.  Now before you jump on me.  Think of how you'd feel if one of your children got addicted or died from his drugs.  That's what I thought...

I would feel bad, but I would not blame someone else.

If my children got addicted to alcohol, I would not blame Budweiser. 

7 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

I grew up in the 80s and was a teenager in the 90s - MDMA is neither addictive, nor 'hard'.

As a parent, I'm perfectly happy for my kid to take he when he gets older, as I did and much of my generation did when I was younger. Not in this country though, it's unfortunately backward in terms of drug legislation.

7 minutes ago, RaoulDuke said:

I have had more bad experiences than I would ever want to remember with alcohol. Never had that problem with MDMA, LSD, or mushrooms. It is horribly hypocritical and ignorant for anyone who drinks beer, wine, hard alcohol, as well as people addicted to nicotine and caffeine to run around saying how evil all drugs are. The crap at the pharmacy causes far greater harm than most party drugs. Only weak minded people prone to addiction have problems with these drugs. Pcp, heroine, and cracked are hard drugs. MDMA is 6-8 hours of feeling happy and forgetting just what a truly horrible world we live in, and the come-down is a billion times less harsh than the average hangover.

I agree with most of what you say, MDMA etc not addictive or "hard". But its still a false manufactured state of happiness/ euphoria.  If you start to confuse the real and not real happiness. An example, you could fall in love/start a relationship with someone based on false happiness/euphoria you feel . I have been there, you could find Adolf Hitler wonderful when the second one kicks in. 

I saw a lot of friends make stupid decisions in that false happy place.

And the Tuesday comedown (after an MDMA fueled weekend) is pretty damm real. 

8 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I agree with most of what you say, MDMA etc not addictive or "hard". But its still a false manufactured state of happiness/ euphoria.  If you start to confuse the real and not real happiness. An example, you could fall in love/start a relationship with someone based on false happiness/euphoria you feel . I have been there, you could find Adolf Hitler wonderful when the second one kicks in. 

I saw a lot of friends make stupid decisions in that false happy place.

And the Tuesday comedown (after an MDMA fueled weekend) is pretty damm real. 

Sure, however I don't see this as any different to the state induced by alcohol under the influence of which many people make silly choices, and then end up with a hangover and regrets the next day.

From my experience, the effects brought on by alcohol are far more socially destructive than those brought on by mdma. Have never seen a fist fight triggered by mdma use, for example.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

1 hour ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

I grew up in the UK in the 80s and was a teenager in the 90s - MDMA is neither addictive, nor 'hard', it simply needs to be treated responsibly.

I'd far prefer my son to be taking ecstasy as a teenager than for him to be binge drinking like most kids do.

Same here did my share of MDMA in the past and so have my friends while holding normal jobs. Never a problem.. but great parties. I do miss the Dutch drug laws (not enough to move back though :D

But I find these punishments hard.. 24 pils .. look at what people get with meth .. far less than this. 

Edited by robblok

A criminal justice system has to have credibility. Thailand's doesn't. They can't even extradite a cop killer from Singapore, they didn't jail the killer of 9 people in a minibus. What kind of justice system is this that can hand out ridiculous sentences to foreign small-time drug dealers when the bigger (Thai) dealers and importers are never caught - I wonder why....?

1 hour ago, joeyg said:

Deal hard drugs.  Should be executed.  Now before you jump on me.  Think of how you'd feel if one of your children got addicted or died from his drugs.  That's what I thought...

Do you know anything about drugs??   This as soft as it gets!!! Those that grew up in the late 80's 90's in Uk were popping these pills like sweets everytime we went out.  One of the most harmless drugs out there. the only reason one or two deaths were ever reported was. due to either  people dancing to much and over heating & drinking too much water.  Or contaminated  fake pills with happens when something is made illegal.  Wouldnt  mind if my kids did this from time to time  better than poisoning themselves with something else or becoming an alcoholic. 

I know of a lad who got 25 years for dealing in Pattaya, he didn't make it past 5.

Im not against anybody dealing drugs after all if a person wants to buy drugs why not let them its there lives and who has the right to say what is legal or not legal but to do it in a place where if you get caught it will be the end of your life you better make sure you definitely dont get caught!

2 hours ago, theguyfromanotherforum said:

He will be transferred to Australia in 6 years. Hardly over for him.

But he will still be required to do the time.  New prison, but the sentence will stand, and then the Australian taxpayer has to keep this pos for life.