Three more dual-track railway projects to be proposed to Thai Cabinet

webfact

Three more dual-track railway projects to be proposed to Cabinet

BANGKOK, 7 September 2016 (NNT) – The Ministry of Transport is set to propose the railway renovation project to the Cabinet, in support of the dual-track railway system at three more sections, according to Transport Deputy Minister. 

Deputy Minister of Transport Ormsin Chivapruck has revealed the progress of the dual-track railway renovation campaign in the first 6 sections that the Ministry of Transport will be proposing for the Cabinet's approval on track renovation projects in three more sections within this month. 

The three sections in the upcoming proposals are the Map Kabao - Thanon Chira Junction on the Northeastern Line which spans 132 kilometers and will require a 26 billion baht budget for the project, the 165-kilometer Nakhon Pathom - Hua Hin section on the Southern Line with a 20.036 billion baht budget, and the 148-kilometer Lopburi - Pak Nam Pho section on the Northern Line with a 24.84 billion baht budget. 

The Ministry of Transport is now working to amend the Terms of Reference for the three railway projects in order to allow up to 15 companies to bid for the construction contract, with the auction process expected to commence during September or October this year. 

The Cabinet has in April approved the dual-track renovation of the 167-kilometer Prachuap Khiri Khan - Chumphon section on the Southern Line with a budget of 17.249 billion baht.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2016-09-07

1 hour ago, canopus1969 said:

And I expect the rail lines will still be the little toy town gauge instead of a real railways 'Standard Gauge'   :bah:

Oh, a gaugist! Well you expect right, as conversion to "railways 'Standard Gauge' " is a monumental task with an even larger cost. There is also the matter of connectivity - all the countries surrounding Thailand use metre gauge, though Laos and Cambodia have limited rail networks.

26 billion baht + 20.036 billion + 24.84 billion + 17.249 billion = 80 BILLION BAHT

New highways. New Bangkok mass transit systems. Airport expansions.

Where are they getting so much money. Is Thailand moving towards bankruptcy?

Dual gage means both narrow and standard gage together  , all they will do is drop another line next to the existing tracks , most of the concrete sleepers used on up grades would or should  be fitted for both gages,  all you have to remember is where it stops, depending on what gage you are on and don't take the wrong signal, I can see interesting times ahead for rail travel in Thailand..................................:coffee1: 

13 hours ago, aguy30 said:

26 billion baht + 20.036 billion + 24.84 billion + 17.249 billion = 80 BILLION BAHT

New highways. New Bangkok mass transit systems. Airport expansions.

Where are they getting so much money. Is Thailand moving towards bankruptcy?

Thailand is far , very far from bancruptcy . Try europe , the US , japan for that.

13 hours ago, chainarong said:

Dual gage means both narrow and standard gage together  , all they will do is drop another line next to the existing tracks , most of the concrete sleepers used on up grades would or should  be fitted for both gages,  all you have to remember is where it stops, depending on what gage you are on and don't take the wrong signal, I can see interesting times ahead for rail travel in Thailand..................................:coffee1: 

If only it were that simple as replacing every sleeper and adding another rail. A wider gauge means larger minimum curve radius in hilly areas. Are the rail bridges wide enough to accept the new sleepers or do they hang over the edges? clearances at stations and overpasses wide enough?

Single track sounds simple enough, but what about double, and more as in rail yards?

Have you ever caught a train out of Hualamphong station?

14 hours ago, chainarong said:

You make it sound so.............simplistic.:rolleyes:

16 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

And I expect the rail lines will still be the little toy town gauge instead of a real railways 'Standard Gauge'   :bah:

Meter gauge railway lines, depending on sleepers, rail and the rest of the construction, are able to carry heavy freight trains with speeds up to 100 km and passenger trains up to 150-160 km/h.

On most standard gauge railways maximum speeds are like that.

With tilt technology higher speeds are attainable on meter gauge and 143.5 cm gauge.

So what is your problem with meter gauge?

The wish to denigrate Thailand maybe?

58 minutes ago, hansnl said:

Meter gauge railway lines, depending on sleepers, rail and the rest of the construction, are able to carry heavy freight trains with speeds up to 100 km and passenger trains up to 150-160 km/h.

On most standard gauge railways maximum speeds are like that.

With tilt technology higher speeds are attainable on meter gauge and 143.5 cm gauge.

So what is your problem with meter gauge?

The wish to denigrate Thailand maybe?

thailand can do that  all by itself, witness the news section any day

16 hours ago, chainarong said:

I think they mean "double track" - one set of lines for trains going in one direction and one for trains going in the other. As opposed to a single track, with passing loops at intervals.

"Halloweens" points about the formation  ( bridges, embankments, cuttings and so on) remain valid.

Just now, IAMHERE said:

Will enough illegal workers attempt to enter  Thailand so that they have the labor to build these structures ? 

Probably the same as the Canadians and Americans did 150 years ago. Bring in hardworking Chinese coolies.

21 hours ago, canopus1969 said:

I guess this is why they are floating a big in the billions of new bonds for 2017. I wonder if they are joining the negative interest club???

Edited by elgordo38

12 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I guess this is why they are floating a big in the billions of new bonds for 2017. I wonder if they are joining the negative interest club???

Infrastructure spending is a recognised way of lifting out of an economic slump with benefits to be reaped for many years afterwards. How does Thailalnd's national debt to GDP ratio compare to your country?

4 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

Another 'episode' of railway TALK.    Stand by for episode 126 next month but don't expect to see any dirt flying !

For those familiar with the BBC of 55 years ago, they had a program called "Railway Roundabout", a very informative look at Britain's comprehensive network of railways prior to Butcher Beeching's  appearance.

The Thai version of this programme would retain the same name, but would be an informative look at Thailand's  railway system, while at the same time going round and round in circles.